“Quite average and characterless”
Review of The Great American Rib Company - CLOSED

The Great American Rib Company
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Egham, Surrey, England
“Quite average and characterless”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We ate here on the penultimate night of our holiday as our 2 boys wanted to try it out. The fare was mostly American (loosely modelled on Planet Hollywood) which whilst a change from local food was nevertheless quite bland. The staff were young and basically order takers and servers.
If you want an atmospheric evening try elsewhere. If you just want feeding on western food it's OK.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank SteveC33

Province of Alicante, Spain
“Dreadful food and service”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

After sitting down on the terrace overlooking the landscaped area and ordering a beer, we were expecting a pleasant experience. The waitress on delivering the beers, managed to tip the contents of the bottle down my partners back, and the illusion was shattered. We decided to share a full rack of ribs, with sides of barbecue beans and potato salad, which also came with jalapeno corn bread. Quite honestly, they were the worst ribs I have ever tasted. Dry and chewy and luke-warm, the congealed sauce on top completely masked any other flavor. To add insult to injury, the beans were mush and the potato salad tasteless. You couldn’t detect any corn in the bread and as for the jalapenos, they were non-existent. The only tasty thing on the plate was the watermelon wedge as a garnish. Despite complaining, we were charged almost a thousand Baht as they added a service charge and tax, even though they had ruined my partner’s top. Be warned…this is a place to avoid.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Tarasque
Bribie Island, Australia
“It's possibly adequate........I suppose”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The meals are very substantial (and presumably "authentic".... whatever that means) and you won't walk away hungry, but that's about it. Staff seemed to be rather disinterested in getting too involved in such mundane pursuits as actually servicing customers (there were 2 in total) and the cashier was extremely busy for much of the time fixing her hair and makeup, so I guess that sets the scene.

Once the older Thai manager/owner arrived things started to buzz along a little, but not enough in my opinion. Unimpressive, over-priced, under-serviced and not really worth a re-visit.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank brisbanepete001
Brisbane
“A very tired place for lunch”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We went there for lunch it was I admit it about 34 degrees and 1 pm in the afternoon, we were the only customers, the staff were just occupying a space, I had the ribs which were not bad but every thing else foodwise was like the staff a bit tired and wilted.
It may be better later in the pm for dinner or it was an off day but I was not inclined to try it again as there are many other good eateries to try in Hua Hin and we left soon after

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank BribieDave
Littleborough, United Kingdom
“Beware the extra 17% & Bad Service”
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

Went for a meal tonight with my wife after much discussion on where we should eat ( she prefers Thai food ). I knew we were off to a bad start when my drink arrived and my meal arrived 10 mins later. My wife enquired where her drink and food was to be sullenly told that the duck takes longer to cook. The restaurant only had 4 tables occupied out of approx 40 surely it is not rocket science to bring meals out at the same time. The waitress then brought her drink and 5 minutes later literally dropped her meal on the table without a word or a smile, at this point I was halfway through my rack of ribs which I have to say was quite good ( Hence 2 stars and not 1 )
We quickly finished our meal and asked for the bill. My wife opened it and muttered a few expletives, the reason being that they had added a 10% service charge and 7% tax.
I queried this with the waiter who fetched a waitress to explain, it was pointed out that in small letters at the bottom of the menu that these charges would be added. As our meal and night out we're now ruined I said that I would pay the 7 % tax but not the 10% service charge as the service was appalling. At this point we discovered that our card had already been put through the machine and if we did not sign " there will be big trouble ". I held my ground and eventually received the 10% back in cash but would gladly have paid 5 times this to avoid the argument that ensued as I was the one who had insisted on this restaurant. Needless to say We will never return and will be relating our experience to all our friends and family in Thailand.

1 Thank Mark T