“A Perfect Getaway”

Ranked #95 of 136 Hotels in Hua Hin
Bangkok, Thailand
“A Perfect Getaway”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

My friend and I stayed at AKA Resort Guti on our weekend and we really enjoyed it there.

The staffs are very welcoming and friendly. One of the front desk staffs came to our car to help us with the luggage right away when we parked. The check-in process was quick. All smiles from every staffs until we got into our room.

We booked a one bedroom deluxe pool villa which was spacious. The deck and pool terrace had an amazing view of the fields and a little pond with lotuses. We stayed there for the rest of the evening enjoying the view and the complimentary minibar (2 cans of beer, 2 packs of kitkat, a pack of Lays and there’s also a 300 ml. bottle of Thai rum which we kept it for the night).

Breakfast was very good, especially the pastries and their homemade banana and strawberry jam (wish I could bring them home!). The waitresses are friendly as well as the Chef that came out and talked to the guests which we found that very caring.

Late that morning we went cycling with the resort’s bicycles around the area. There’re not many cars around so it’s pretty safe. After a good ride, we showered, changed and jumped into the resort massive infinity pool which was perfect for lap swimming. The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing by the pool with another greenery view.

If you’re looking for a tranquil place to enjoy some quiet time not too far from Bangkok, this is the place to be.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank KT J
Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear KT J,

Thank you very much for your feedbacks on your recent stay with us at AKA Guti.
We certainly appreciate that you did take the time to review our property as for sharing your experience.
Has per my previous responses it is nice to read as a New Management that some of our new direction implementation are starting to be noticed. The entire team is working hard to overcome a very long period of lethargy accumulating very negative feedbacks.
Smiles are coming back and service mind as well.
Glad to see that our Chef and Service Team left you a great impression.

It is a long process though step by step we will continue in our quest of constant improvements.

We are looking forward to your next visit at AKA Guti.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I stay at AKA Guti with my best friend, we really enjoyed your holiday there because very quiet then perfect for us to getaway from busy town especially, our infinity pool because it's stunning hillside view but we also have our private pool at our villa. Imagine when you swim with natural surroundings. In the morning, we walk through infinity pool for have breakfast, it's so stunning view during our walking...could not resist to take a lot of pictures with great memorable morning. Our breakfast was fresh, superb quality of bread and Guti bake every day. After breakfast, I went out for cycling around Guti, very natural and fresh air even during my late morning.

By the way, I really love ELLE amenities such as shampoo, condition, shower gel that resort provided to all villas. I heard from staff that only AKA Guti use in Thailand (I'm so lucky and very in love with this products..really great quality!)

Two thumbs up with great service by staff especially Khun Pui from Front Office...really helpful during my stay at AKA Guti!

I will be back definitely and thank you very much for my wonderful holiday even too short for my stay but I pretty sure next visit I will stay longer and would love to try AKA Resort & Spa too.

Room Tip: if you big fan of beach then so sorry but this place worth for your weekend/holiday getaway from bus...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Nok_Sukitra

Thank you very much for your review as for your time to do so.
Reading through your feedbacks and comments you have truly discovered and understood the real sense of AKA Guti Resort as an heaven of tranquility, quietness to rejuvenate and find inner peace.
The original concept has always been as you describe it a step back closer to nature simplicity and humility away from city stressful life.
This is the luxury we are aiming to provide.

You are correct we do produce in house and bake daily our breads and croissants.

Reading through previous reviews i see that there have been a certain misperception of our Resort concept in terms of Luxury.

Indeed AKA Guti Resort is the first resort in Thailand officially providing ELLE Spa's new amenities.

I will be sharing with our team your enthusiasm and positive feedbacks especially to Khun Pui whom has been a loyal team member since the opening of the property.

We are looking forward to your next visit at AKA Resorts and Spa.

Thank you again for your feedbacks.

Melbourne
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

The resort is located on a quiet hillside with nice views of mountains, and dedicated service. But for me it did not appeal as a five star resort standard as expected through its price and their website. I also couldnt believe this resort as part of SLH.

We stayed at the 1 bedroom villa over our short break and we already noticed some faults within the villa. Although the pool area is nice and clean, the wooden doors are already wearing off in terms of colours and paint jobs. As far as I know, this resort has only been constructed recently. For the worse, one of the door handles to the pool was non existent so we couldnt even open the door on one side. This is not in big inconvenience but it is frustrating to brand this resort five star when they cant even maintain a door handle.. The mini draw by the wall in the bedroom area is made out of low cost wood, and it's already hanging loose by the wall (yes, it will fall off eventually..). Some other wooden stuff are partly damaged by termites so you could see wholes in them - not so common for 5 star quality. The bathroom is nice for in door shower but with the outdoor one I think they couldve made the tub larger to make it more spacious. The television.. there were random red dots in the screen which was very distracting.

On the service, staff were attentive and nice which I had no problem with. They did their best. The breakfast offered a lot of Western and Thai choices but the quality of the food was appalling for a so called 5 star resort. I had the egg benedict and all I could really taste was lime - the egg benedict was extremely sour. What is this... I was so relieved not dine at the resort in any other meal time. We also received a letter to our villa, informing that we will "checkout tomorrow" while we still have another night to stay there. This just makes it simply a 3 star resort pretending to be 5 star.

With faulty construction, bad television, disappointing food and bad management. I dont think its the right place for people looking for five star resort around Hua Hin. Self acclaimed five star resort really sounds like a scam. My opinion - definitely not going to bother coming back.

Stayed November 2013
Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Jumpingjack_90,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property.
Your constructive comments have been addressed to all concerned in order for us to turn around where we fell short.
We appreciate to see your positive feedbacks on our service team.
TV signal has been fixed as for ongoing repairs in villas which you might have observed during your stay.
We certainly would have appreciated your feedbacks and concerns to be addressed directly to us during your stay, so that necessary arrangements and improvement could have been done immediately in order for us to provide you an enjoyable experience.
It is of course always easy to bring such afterwards rather than address it directly to the management...

Best regards,

Bangkok
Reviewed 1 November 2013

A very nice relaxing, quiet resort with beautiful views. But five star... No.

My wife and I had a very nice three day stay here. The overall impression was good. But, this is definitely not a 5 star resort. The standard of the interior left a lot to be desired, with no decent arm chairs to sit in, only loungers. As one other person commented. the place had been decorated with total lack of care and was finished well below an acceptable standard. The bathroom is rustic to say least. With what looked like a painted terracotta pot for a washbasin The food in the restaurant was below the standard you would expect for 5 star resort. There is a complementary Nespresso machine in the room, However, if you require more than the allocated number of capsules you will be charged more.

In summary a very nice place but the management need to pay more attention to detail and take away at least one star from their self acclaimed status.

Room Tip: A very nice place but the management need to pay more attention to detail and take away at least one...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John N
Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear John N,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property AKA Guti as for your constructive feedbacks.
Looking in the precedents reviews prior our arrival I am glad to say that we are working hard on the various issues and short comings many have experienced and that constant improvements and attention to details are being effective the past two months.
As for the Star rating this is not a self acclaimed status as one may think.

AKA Guti opened as a true five star property certainly faced issues though this is why we are back to fix what was neglected.

I am happy though that you found the place relaxing peaceful and quiet.

Thank you again for your very constructive feedbacks which we do use for the improvements needed.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Like most reviewers mostly agree that tranquility is the key here but this resort certainly is not worthy of 5 star rating or recognition in the SLH guides. We stayed at the 2 bdr villa w private pool with great panoramic views. The villa itself is badly maintained and had recently been painted with typical Thai craftmanship, paint on the floors, furniture, curtains etc. so much for quality control and management supervision. The breakfast was well below average and not worth bothering with. The outfitting in the villa is very dissapointing with no decent armchairs to sit in. The bathroom is outside and does not give a particularly hygienic impression, very badly fitted out for a 5 star hotel and is just outright disgraceful. During our 3 night stay not once did we meet or greet anyone resembling management status. This place is definitely not value for money and if even priced at half price I would again question is it then "value for money". Big, big dissapointment and does not live up to what the pacakge is claimed to be.

Ramie

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ramie J
Dear Ramie J,

AKA Guti opened as a true SLH property certainly faced issues though this is why we are back to fix what was neglected.
Be sure that we are working very hard to get things back to where it should be.

I am glad to read though that you found the place relaxing with natural surroundings and stunning views.

Thank you again for your very constructive feedbacks which we follow seriously as for the needed improvements.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 September 2013

After seeing the reviews, we do not expect too high but it turns out to be a very enjoyable holiday.

It is true that there were insects, and reptiles, in the restaurant. (We were excited to see a firefly for the first time.) We guess it is because of the organic farming that they do not use pesticide, which sounds good to us.

Some spots are a bit worn out but we still admire the style and details. The orientation of pools (main & villa) is cleverly designed to enable beautiful sunset view. Reflection of the pool onto the bedroom ceiling is very pretty.

We seemed to be the only guests during our stay. Some reviews mentioned poor service, waiters stuck on video game instead of serving but we saw attentive, friendly and helpful waiter/waitress who ran back and forth between the bar and restaurant to take our orders and check the drinks. Dining at the room or by the pool were served promptly with a smile.

Buffet breakfast was not available due to low occupancy but there was all you can eat, freshly prepared a la carte. We think it was as good.

You may find food in lower price downtown but it was still very acceptable here and quality was high. We did enjoy massage too. There were not much to do but time flied when it was pleasant and peaceful. We did not feel bored.

When the receptionist knew that our airport transfer will arrive 90 minutes after check out time, she was very kind to suggest we can have late check out. But we decided to have a slow lunch instead.

This is not a hotel for everyone. If you prefer browsing downtown, have more restaurant choices and night life. This is an absolute no no. But it is great for us and we had the most relaxing holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear BoboCoco_onTh,

Thank you very much for your time in reviewing AKA Guti as for your constructive feedbacks.
I am pleased to read that your overall experience with us was pleasant and enjoyable.
You seemed to have captured the true essence of what AKA Guti really is.
Natural, peaceful and relaxing.
Much is being done to improve all issues addressed in the many reviews similar highlighted points.

Looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Hua Hin.

Bangkok
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The villas fringing the resort offered the best views, the sunset is spectacular I heard. Spending time sprawled on the breach chairs in the late afternoon, within the privacy of a villa, the smell of a hot brewed coffee from the Nespresso machine, with the skies transiting through the colors of dusk. I wished I did that but this trip those hours, I was in my meetings. Next time I will. These villas that offered the best views have two sleeping rooms that slept four in total. Each with its own large bathroom and a stone bathtub in a setting of bamboo walls. I am not sure if just a couple on a holiday are allowed to take these up, for if not one will have to take on the one bedroom villas which are nested higher up the gentle hills. The view would be overlooking the roofs of others.

The pool within the villas are already sizable, but if it laps you want to do for that morning exercise, then the enormous hotel pool you will have to head to. Of infinity concept, the inviting water blends with the landscape beyond. Beside laid the eatery, a sumptuous buffet breakfast was served. A network of footpaths links the resort, the avenues through foliage a pleasant walk. The occasional golf buggy ferrying laundry and housekeeping staffs we had to made way for. As we stopped our chatter wherever we were at Guti, only the resonance of insects and birds we heard. The night before we sat in a group by the pool within one of the villas and played cards into the wee hours. The coolness of the air through our tropical clothes, the cold beer the accompanying contentment. In between our breaks from ranting about bad cards, only the enveloping calmness and the darkest of night beyond our orange porch lights.

Weekdays at the Guti, other than my company dominating the resort taking up five of the villas, there were only one or two others taken up by other guest. So if it is privacy one wants, then weekdays will be the answer. So it is for the rest of the resorts in Hua Hin, and back again on weekdays I will for the enchanting experience.

Room Tip: The two bedrooms from what i know have the best views and privacy.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Kings L
Dear J404,

Thank you very much for your comments as for your stay with us at AKA Guti.
You have seized well what is Guti and why it has been set in such a way.
Sunsets are really incredible bringing this special serenity we all seek.

I am pleased that your experience with us was enjoyable and something special to cherish.

Looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit.