“Good Location, But You Can Do Better”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Tanawit Condotel

Tanawit Condotel
Ranked #100 of 134 Hotels in Hua Hin
New York City, New York
“Good Location, But You Can Do Better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Hua Hin is filled with guest houses, condos, hotels, resorts - you name it. I chose Tanawit because I thought I was getting a great price on agoda - and truthfully had I paid a penny more I would be really disappointed. I paid about US$40 for a night, no breakfast, and have to say the place is probably worth no more than $30 a night.

The facilities are extremely dated, and as some others wrote, I was placed in an adjacent building. I didn't mind so much and have no idea if the other buildings' rooms were better, but it might have felt more secure to have a 24-hr desk in the building, especially when the door is often left open.

The location is great - walking distance to the railway station, night market, and beach. Also, I will admit that the bed was comfortable and I slept just fine. Noise levels were low - I thought I heard a cat meowing, but that's about it.

When walking around town you can see guesthouses advertising rooms for as low as 100 Baht a night! I don't know what those are like, but if all you're looking for is a convenient place with a bed to stay - you may want to try just turning up and having a look to be honest!

I didn't mind my stay, but I did not enjoy it at all.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

There are two buildings for this hotel - one is what is shown in the photos, the other, is where we stayed. Make sure you know which building you have booked before paying - the 2 buildings are significantly different.
The old building is not worth the rating given.
It was a fairly spacious room, older decor, small bathroom, clean, spartan and stinks of air freshener.
The bed was really springy.
The air con stayed on while the key was out of the slot - this was a bonus.
We stayed two nights (some singles, some couples), which meant two breakfasts. We were given two vouchers for the first breakfast, regardless of whether the room was single or double - The first morning, no problem handing in the voucher, when we asked reception for a second voucher for the next breakfast, they would only give a single voucher whether for a double or not - until there was a discussion had!
Breakfast was cold and unappetising - the coffee shop outside was good tho.

Room Tip: Check which building you are in before paying.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Hua Hin hotels

Ennis, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

Nice hotel with very good location and very close to night market. The room was ok but could have been cleaner. My wife and son tried the pool and said it was nice but me too lazy after long flight so I went for a snooze . But over all yes I would stay here again as its so good for shopping and restaurants .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Vantaa, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed here for a few nights to get a glimpse of the city life before heading further to the quiet countryside. Location matters a lot and this hotel was almost perfect – very close to the must-see night market, walkable distance to the beach, close to train station and shops.

Room was quite big but a bit empty. Clean but worn out. Quiet. Breakfast ok but air conditioning in the restaurant was poor and it was stuffy. Pool area was disappointing – unfunctional and absolutely too much chlorine in the water.

Staff was friendly but with poor English. We wanted to get timetable and price for the buses to South and they couldn’t help us at all except showing the location of a bus station on the map.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank TotallyFinnish
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Hotel consists of three buildings. I stayed in building three where the front rooms have a pleasant view. The rooms at the back where my room was have no view at all only that of the adjacent building a few metres away from the tiny balcony. The room appeared to have been recently modernised to a good standard. A raised wooden platform extended across most of the length of the room on which the mattress was situated which may cause problems for the elderly or infirm to negotiate. Both mattress and pillow were on the hard side. No tea or coffee making facilities. Two rather small but clean pools. I paid 1040 baht room only special deal with Agoda. The hotel's own off season website rate was 1900 baht including breakfast, less of a bargain. Room quiet, overall no problems. American breakfast expensive at 250 baht. Better value outside.

Room Tip: If you stay in building three ask for a front room
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Bangkok
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

If you're looking for an airconditioned room, a pool and a hotel near everything, then this place is OK. The staff aren't that friendly and you feel slightly invisible when you're there but that doesn't matter when you spend most of your time outside. Rooms were clean and the pool bar is a good touch, not bad for 25 quid a night. Have breakfast at the EU Bakery just opposite - we may even stay there next time as the rooms looked cheaper. Also, the staff won't even know if you're a guest or not if you want to use the pool at Tanawit!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ohmytravels
Cannock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed at Tanawit Hotel from 7->11 September 2011, also I stayed in 2008 but this is my first review. I was rather disturbed to read recent negative reviews on this site but I still chose to book in here due to my previous experiences. Fortunately my instincts were proved correct as I mainly have only good things to post.

The staff were friendly and efficient, the room was large with everything working. No problem with hot water although I thought the TV had little or nothing worth watching (for a foreigner). In room wi-fi is not available, only in reception, I think this needs upgrading. I didn't use the swimming pool but it looked perfectly in order likewise I can't comment on the free breakfast as it finished too early for me (10am)

The hotel does seem "geared" to Thai weekend visitors but I certainly would recommend the Tanawit to Thai or farang alike and was certainly value for money. I only saw one room during my stay but I find it difficult to understand the previous negative reviews, my experience was that I made a good choice.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have a better view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo