“Its been twenty years since my first visit, and I still go back”

Chopsticks Hill (Khao Takiab)
Book In Advance
Private Half-Day Hua Hin Highlights and Vineyard
Sydney, Australia
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Its been twenty years since my first visit, and I still go back”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I guess we all want change and updates and for "something to happen"... but then it is Khao Takiab and not much changes year to year... I take a scooter and do a potter about, going left to the base of the Golden Buddha and then back out and via the concrete bridge -

I have met some "nice monkey's" and others who are evil and bad mannered little sods ... I have learned over time... have patience and wait, there are one or two gentle characters who will come and silently converse with you. I find their expressions and a gentle reaching hand most interesting.

These monkeys are really 'wild animals' and yes, the interaction can be relaxing... Don't scream and appear frightened - these guys know the tourists are easy meat but they don't take teasing well...

I always stop for the local Hot Coffee in the shade - and a cold drink... sure, I too could buy a wind chime and all the other eclectic stuff but enjoy the coffee sitting beside the netting walls - a little furry hand might appear and if you are lucky its mother and child. That makes it all worthwhile.

Coming back down the hill - stop in the car park on the seaward side - that is a grand view of the beach.

The fishermen in the creek - I guess these boys are the true Thailand 'native'... how they fish nightly for hours in such rickety boats - and have done for century's... Not much has changed in twenty years - although I see that some of the boats now have GPS, they still look rickety!

Yes, the Temple could be cleaner - it even could be pristine if someone took responsibility - the monkeys could have manners but really, everybody is scratching out a living.
We need to consider as tourists - as guests in somebody else's country that we often pick up the bad side.

This Temple has been here on the hill for eons - the fishermen here for probably a thousand years and change does not happen instantly.... They have a new concrete bridge over the creek - that is progress..

You need to go. You need to contemplate the past and even ponder on its future. Kkao Takiab has doubled in size in twenty years - so many more hotels and developments - some good some bad - this is Thailand - it all takes time and at every visit celebrate the changes. That makes it worthwhile.... Nothing happens overnight.

3 Thank Jeff M

105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 376 helpful votes
“I thought we'd see ...”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

the odd monkey like we did as we taxied up the hill, & was quite delighted to see so many! I loved being in the thick of it all as we wandered freely around photographing the monkeys', so many cute babies! Don't stare at them though as one of them jumped up me, he was after my rucksack. It was one of the more adventurous ones who was jumping in & out of the pool. I can't believe that they don't clean the place up a bit & charge an entrance fee I certainly wouldn't mind paying. Some of the monkeys looked quite sad. One of them had a piece of glass & I think he could see his reflection in it, another was rubbing a large piece of brick up & down like it was his life's work. There's a market to buy stuff. My husband was advised by the stallholder to sit & eat his ice cream at the stall as the monkeys would steal it. Although one of them got on the roof & tried to dive on him to get it as he sat at the stall, luckily the stallholder spotted the monkey first. The fishing village at the bottom of the hill looked interesting, but we didn't stop. We paid the taxi driver (Mr Min Tieamtad) 800 Baht for this trip to Monkey Mountain, Elephant Village, & the Shopping Centre, a good day all round!

5 Thank DeuceWooo
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Dirty and ruined”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I'm not sure this should even be called an attraction.
It's a shame that this place is not cared for at all 'cos it coud be lovley, but as it stands now it is full of monkey feases which stink and broken stuff.
There are no guides or anything to help you get around or to protect you from the monkeys which seemed aggressive at times.
Neither were there any signs of that religious dresscode should be applied everywere (?) which a religious man screamed at us about as we were walking down.
Neither do I think that the fishermans village is at all directed a tourists, maybe us it more fun in the mornings when the boats come in, but at afternoon when we were there it was just not much to look at except a few restaurants which had their shellfish at display...

2 Thank Millansinsta
Goldaboro, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worth the walk up the steps”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

At the end of the beach of Hua Hin. You see the giant Buddha statue and the temple on top of the hill and you will be curious to go up. I was the only one in my group that wanted to go up because the others were scared of all the monkeys and the long stairway. It was worth the hike. Didn't see anyplace at top to leave a donation but I bought a couple of wind chimes from a nun at a small outdoor shop. Maybe since I paid 300 baht for the wind chimes I didn't have to make the 40 baht donation. Your not supposed to take photos from the temple but their are some good places to take pictures. Nice scenic view for sure. Monkeys didn't pay much attention to me until I went down the stairs. They all started running down the stairs on both sides of me and I was expecting one to jump on my back but thankfully they didn't bother me. Next time I go to Hua Hin I will go back to the temple and will try to take the group with me.

2 Thank micoot
Lowood, Australia
178 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“The Golden Buddha”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Make your way onto the beach at low tide to get a good view of the Buddha statue on the side of the hill overlooking the sea.

2 Thank Ian H