“Best Welcome and genuine value”

Baan Talay Dao Resort
Ranked #35 of 136 Hotels in Hua Hin
“Best Welcome and genuine value”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We have just spent an enjoyable relaxing week at this unassuming resort that grew on us daily. With only 32 rooms it provided us with a personal service from every staff member rarely enjoyed today. Not once did they not greet us with a friendly smile and a cherry greeting.
The studio room was very clean, private and overlooked a central courtyard and had everything we needed. It was very quiet and we were not disturbed by the other guests even though the Resort was full over the New Year period. The breakfast was varied and well presented. We also ate at the restaurant and found it be very good too. We couldn't use the beach as it was high tide during our stay making it unusable but we managed to walk to the beach at Khao Takiab (under the golden buddah) every day and enjoyed it immensely. There was a free shuttle bus to the beach and the centre of town daily but found we rarely used it. The shuttle driver even insisted we take the ride with him one day as he thought we shouldn't walk that far so we happily obliged to placate him. What a lovely young man he was too.
We now know what Thai hospitality is all about!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank SallyandPeter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Perfect two days.. My now wife and I planned to get married in December 2011 at Hua Hin.

April 2011 She found a wonderful venue, we booked in and started to plan. 4 weeks later, the Venue contacted us and said that due to a computer system issue they had now doubled booked, they were no longer able to accommodate us for the wedding.

Panic set in and we jumped onto a plane to Thailand, to go and look for other venues (that we had researched on the web). We spent hours visiting lots of hotels, discussing wedding packages.

The very last hotel of the last evening we stopped at Baan Talay Dao ..... The entrance to the hotel is quite long and very uninspiring. However as we had driven down the drive, we though lets have a look.

My wife who is Thai, talked to the reception, they immediately made us feel very welcome. The staff asked if we would like to see pictures of previous weddings. We looked at each other and thought, why is this the first venue to show us examples of previous weddings (yes we are amateurs for not asking before).

The photos looked great.. So we asked to look at the rooms. They are clean comfortable, with lcd TV and free Wifi. The Villa rooms have beautiful baths in. (They remind me of a traditional thai hotel rooms)

The wedding ceremony room was a modified Thai house. (amazing..)

My only concern at this point was the fact that there was a blackboard showing pictures of food, and I though, this didnt sell itself very well. I was nervous.. However when I got back to our hotel, I jumped on Trip Advisor and started to read the reviews. )

Several of the reviews stated how good the food at the hotel was. That was it, we had to go back in the morning and try the food... Also it was a good chance to look around the hotel during the day.

We were not disappointed. The food is great, in fact they even do cooking classes (however we didn't have time to do the class)

At this point we now had two very different hotels in mind. either Baan Talay Dao or the Sheraton Hau Hin. We needed to do numbers and work out costings.

The general manager of Baan Talay Dao, is based in Bangkok, and was not available to discuss pricing etc. As we left Thailand the next day, the packages were discussed in email and over the phone.

The Sharaton had set price packages, they also didn't seem to want to deviate from their 'package' deals. The hotel was just too big. That said it is an amazing hotel, with a huge lagoon swimming pool.

Baan Talay Dao, also had some big plus points. The resort was traditional thai, not too big, the staff seemed so welcoming. In fact the only thing that I was a little disappointed with was the swimming pool. It is small. However for the wedding. it didnt matter people still loved it and were also able to swim in the sea. (also no issue getting beer / drinks served around the pool area a big plus..)

In the end the choice came to two factors.

1) The service we recieved from the hotel, in just what they would be able to provide as a package

2) The overal cost, for having lots of different types of food, plus the ability to provide BYO on Wine / Champagne (wine is a luxary in Thailand so is priced that way).

Baan Talay Dao (BTD) won on both accounts. Therefore our choice was made.

The planning of the wedding..
BTD was amazing, we paid our deposit and the wheel were in motion. Basically the manager did everything possible to organise and accommodate our requests.

They requested our colours , copies of our invites, what type of foods, if we had any requirements such as my dad not liking spicy food. They made us a cake, organised a band, and a local wedding guest gifts..

I know things were made a little easier because my wife is Thai, no language barrier. However BTD were able to send emails in English, and also were available on Skype to chat. In fact my wife didn't meet the organiser of our wedding until about 5 days before the special day!! But they had bonded over the internet and it just worked.

The special day... Amazing... Amazing... Amazing
The staff were already preparing the day before when we arrived. we had booked out maybe 80% of the hotel for our guests.

On the day, they had dressed up the hotel to look amazing, the staff were very welcoming to all our guests, and it was noticeable the effort they all put in, in fact we saw that one of the bar staff had worked from early morning to late evening.

Our wedding was traditional thai. all organised by the hotel, which included;
1) Blessing from monks and food offering
2) Breakfast
3) Thai Engagement.. and Chinese Tea ceremony
4) Wedding registration
5) Water Ceremony
6) canapés and champagne.. (little bit of western)

There was then a 6 hour gap where our guests went to the local floating markets or relaxed by the pool.

The evening reception was similar to a western wedding reception, the bride wears white. We had an international buffet and seafood bbq. The food was brilliant and there was soooo much to eat. The staff were non stop pouring drinks.

We had to stop the band at 10pm due to noise restrictions, however the staff were happy for people to sit around and continue to socialise. Although by this time many people started to leave.

All in all an amazing day, made so special by the efforts of the Manager (Kung) and her amazing team...

If you are looking for a nice resort, that is quiet traditional or somewhere in Thailand to get married, have a serious look at Baan Talay Dao.

Room Tip: Pick the villa rooms..
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank PCNorris
UAE
Reviewed 15 November 2011

From the minute we arrived we were treated like friends and family, with nothing but the brightest of smiles from all the staff. This was my first time in Hau Hin but a few of our party of eight had been before and stayed at the Baan Talay Dao. We did have some worries over the flooding around Bangkok but arrived at the hotel with no delays at about 10-30 am using the hotel arranged mini bus .

On checking in our rooms were ready. We had booked a studio room for two people and though not the biggest room I have ever stayed in ,it was clean and bright with every thing you could need for a relaxing holiday. The hotel only has 32 rooms so you never felt as though it was over crowded and at times even though the hotel was full ,it seemed as we were the only guests staying there. The staff were always on hand if you required any drinks snacks our meals by the pool. Other reviews have mentioned that the pool is small, we found it more than big enough. Anyway the sea is only a few paces away.

The location of the hotel is about five miles from the centre of Hau Hin ,this was easy enough to get to by using public transport for 10 THB or the hotel would get you a Tuk Tuk or taxi for 150 THB . The best part about the location was we had the city on our doorstep but the tranquility of village life in our hotel.

There are some very good resteraunts in Hau Hin and the hotel do a very nice meal in their resteraunt over looking the beach.

All in all I could not recommend this hotel enough, everything was perfect from the minute we checked in until the minute we left.

Room Tip: The hotel does not cater for people with mobility problems and even the ground floor rooms are up tw...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank petersezsayers
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Our family with two kids visited Hua Hin for the long Macha Buddha weekend. The booking service offered us Baan Talay Dao as a substitute for our first pick, and we do not regret choosing it. The peak weekend made the price a bit high, but I feel the hotel would be quite good value off-season. In any case, all Hua Hin hotels were having higher prices due to the long weekend and we considered being right on the beach to be worth something.

Finding the hotel was not difficult based on the map information available on the Internet. Driving down from Bangkok on road #4 there were even a couple of large guide signs, which seemed to be a quite common practice for Hua Hin hotels. The entrance to Baan Talay Dao is right after the much larger Wora Bura resort. The hotel is some 150 metres from the street (Hua Hin Soi 87) so traffic noise is not an issue, and the soi is not a very busy one, anyway.

The hotel is quite small (30 rooms) and set in a quite nice garden with shading trees and fish ponds. It is not on the main Hua Hin beach, but near the southern end of the Takiab beach with a nice view of Kao Takiab. This is not necessarily a disadvantage: our friends reported that the Hua Hin beach was littered with garbage and dead fish, while the beach around the resort was quite clean. There were almost none beach vendors, although there were enough enteprising ones so that we could catch a banana boat ride and horse rides for the kids right at the resort without having to go looking for one. Thai massage was also available on the beach a few hundred metres to the north of our resort.

The slope of the beach is very gradual which keeps the noisy and possibly reckless jet ski riders quite far away, which is quite nice when you are looking after small children. The sand is quite nice and fine without stones, so you are actually better off walking without any shoes. The main disadvantage of the beach at the resort is that it did not exist in the morning when the tide was high; by evening the strip of sand extends about a hundred metres to the sea, though. This was no real problem, since by walking some 200 metres north we were able to access the sandy strip of beach at the neighboring resort. Good enough for the kids to build sand castles, but you must go much farther away if you absolutely need to tan yourself on a bed of dry sand. The water seemed to be clean enough, although not crystal clear. I believe the reason to be the shallow sandy beach and the fairly strong wind from the sea which churns up the water.

Hua Hin beaches appear to be troubled with stinging jellyfish. The hotel has a warning sign with three alert levels. During our stay it was at "yellow", and I actually saw three smallish jellyfish during the two afternoons the kids spent frolicking in the sea. Our friends reported and photographed a 2-feet one on the Hua Hin beach. The risk is real, since the daughter of one of the other hotel guests was stung, fortunately mildly, on her arm.

We stayed in a first-floor studio room which was spacious enough with a double bed and a settee which converted into an extra bed for our 7-year child. The bathroom was even excessively large considering the small space allocated for the shower cubicle. Plenty of hot water in the shower and wash basin. The bath room had the typical amenities with soap, shampoo and shower cap. Overall, the room was as advertised on the Sawadee.com web site. The channel selection on the cable TV was reasonable with three kids channels, the V music channel and BBC news, but the high end ones like HBO or MTV were missing. Quite a number of single non-English channels, too: Italian, Hindi, etc. However, as positive surprises even the studio room provided an electric kettle (good for preparing our baby's milk formula) and there was an in-room safe that was large enough for a laptop computer and was even attached to the wall.
At check-in you can also get a password for the in-room Wi-Fi which worked just fine. (Alternatively, guests can use a single computer in the lobby.)

The air conditioning was a bit noisy, and my wife complained about an occasional smell of excrement. (I noticed it but thought it was from the remains in our kid's diapers that we had dumped into the bathroom bin.) The minibar was quite limited and we did not use it apart from the provided two complimentary bottles of water - these were not restocked during our 2-night stay so it may be worthwhile to get your own from the nearby 7/11. The provided hairdryer was quite small and rather underpowered for dealing with long hair. Overall, I would classify the room as a three-star one.

The infinity pool with a small jacuzzi section matched the expectation created by the website images. It would have been uncomfortably small for swimming for excercise, but it was plenty large for the kids to enjoy themselves. The sundeck had 30 chairs which might be too few for the highest season but during this time I never saw all of them occupied.

The single restaurant was serving breakfast 7-10am. It was not large but adequate for the small number of rooms - no need to wait for a table. The variety of dishes in the breakfast buffet was not lavish, but was adequate. They offered two kinds of juice, milk and water. Soy milk was available the first morning, but not on the second one. An omelet station provided also waffles. The buffet had a couple of changing Western dishes, a couple of changing Thai dishes, salad, yogurths, corn flakes, toast, full-corn bread, croissants, some different kinds of cheeses and sausages, salad, fruit, decent coffee, etc. My wife's biggest complaint was that there were no signs labelling the dishes, which was a hassle due to her dietary restrictions; I was quite happy myself. We used the restaurant mostly for breakfast. We ordered once Thai food as room service - it was good, reasonably priced and was delivered quickly enough. The milkshakes that we had at the restaurant were reasonably priced, too.

Check-in and check-out were painless. However, we had a voucher for the stay and paid cash for the additional expenses. Overall, the staff was quite friendly and helpful. For example, the first evening we missed the 6pm free shuttle van to downtown, but when we were starting out at 6:30pm the staff offered to drop us off near the Hilton for free. They also were able to organize babysitting service at 300 baht/hour although that is not listed as one of the official hotel services. However, this might not have been possible if we had not given a day's notice.

The resort is not exacly next to Hua Hin downtown and the night spots - walking there is not a good option. The resort provides a free one-way shuttle service once in the morning and once in the evening. We had to use the local taxis and tuk-tuks at the somewhat extortionate standard 150-baht flat rate. We never had the time to try and find out if the local bus service really worked as claimed by other reviews. The hotel rents out motorbikes at 300 baht per day, which is definitely a good option if you dare to ride yourself and need to make more than one return trip to the downtown per day. However, there is a 7/11 and a pharmacy almost opposite to the entrance of the hotel in case you need to restock supplies. The soi has also some small restaurants and bars a few hundred metres north of the hotel, so walking to those would be an option if you do not want to incur the cost of going downtown. The time should not be an issue, since the ride to the Hilton or Soi Bintabaht is about ten minutes once you have caught a ride in front of the hotel.

Overall, we would consider using this hotel if we visit Hua Hin again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank the_goodsoil_family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 20 January 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay at Baan Talay Dao. It's a small resort with limited but cozy and relax. Good service and very good food.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Skokie, Illinois
Reviewed 26 December 2010

I had such a wonderful time here.
This is the first time I travel alone with my family and any duty.
I have just sold my business in US and fly alone to Thailand to search my new chapter of life.
I found my peace and answer here.
This small resort is so suitable for soul searcher.
The owner and staffs are so attentive to details.
Yet, I feel my privacy.
I feel like I am in my own place, very comfortable and relax.
Food service also very healthy.
No MSG use here, which I am feel so thankful.
They made their own bread and Jams with preservative.
Their young Coconut Ice cream is a must have dessert.
It's not coconut milk ice cream like you may at any other places.
I will be back again.
Thanks to Talay Dao team.
You have my vacation a complete one.
Pam from USA

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank orange002
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Reviewed 17 August 2010

This is the most romantic resort that I have visited. Even it is far away from the Hua Hin city, you can rent a scutter easily from city. Or just saty there and release. The feeling for the resort are even better than seeing the photos online. Amazing resort.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family