3,121 results
All reviews elephant bar railway restaurant suan bua colonial wing coast restaurant premium deluxe pool villa garden pool club facilities villa area old colonial style the main hotel colonial feel high tea club room beautiful hotel kids club evening cocktails
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights after spending 9 days touring. We were looking forward to bring able to relax, chill and doing very little. We were not disappointed. The hotel is in a great spot, local bars, night markets and the beach all easily accessible.
The beach was quite small and there were numerous horses going up and down but we enjoyed a pleasant stroll one afternoon.
We felt the Centara was in need of some updating, a lot of the decking areas looked worn and in need of repair. Our room was lovely and always kept clean. We could have done with more towels but that's a minor problem.
We enjoyed the Club room facilities and the service in there was exceptional. We ate in the main restaurant for breakfast and were constantly amazed at the range of items on offer.
We used the Garden Pool and the iced towels and fruit brought round were lovely touches.
The day before we were due to leave we had a phone call asking what time we would be leaving, I explained we were not being picked up until 20.00 and was told we needed to be out of our room by 13.00. I didn't expect to be able to keep our room but I was a little shocked to be told that the only facilities available to us to shower before our 24 hour journey home were in the gym! I had hoped a courtesy room would be made available.

Room Tip: We found the Garden Rooms overlooking the Garden Pool (ground floor) were in a great location.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda M
Qmgr, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hua Hin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Amanda M,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Centara Grand Hua Hin recently. We appreciate your kind sharing the experience of the facilities and services at the resort. We are glad to note that you had a pleasant stay.

We would like to apologies for the problems you experienced on the day of your departure, whilst trying to obtain a delayed checkout time. The hotel strives to meet guest requests for late checkout but on certain days this is not always possible, but we stress to our staff to be as flexible and accommodating as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

The management

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We have stopped at the Centara Hua Hin previously at the main hotel and were really disappointed for numerous reasons. Travelling with friends and based on very specific criteria the Centara was the best fit, so we reluctantly booked and my expectations were not high.

This visit we booked two premium pool villa's. I can honestly say that this visit was significantly different to our last experience and I would definitely stay again. Although there are a few areas which perhaps need some attention.

Having booked pool villas our expectations were villas with small pools and sun loungers. Pools are 5 metres so a reasonable size, but no sun loungers, just chairs!?! We had to request sun loungers, which after repeated requests we were given one to each room, fortunate that our husbands had no interest in using sun loungers! If you are booking a villa be sure to book one away from the Hilton Hotel which stands very tall and blocks sunlight and encroaches on any privacy you might expect booking these rooms.

Villa's are well maintained, including a main room with a bedroom, separate bathroom, walk in wardrobe and a further lounge room, with seating and TV and and a second bathroom. Maid and turndown service every day including treats from the chef. The room is fully stocked with water, tea and coffee and if you run short you can ask for more!

The Villas are part of the "Club" so there are extensive benefits from this including evening drinks and nibbles, all day snacks and soft drinks at club and villa main pool, afternoon tea and evening cordial service. Two pieces of laundry washed and pressed every day the list goes on.

The staff at the Villas are amazing, the restaurant manager requires a special mention, she is amazing, her attention to detail, memory and customer service are excellent. Nothing is too much trouble for her or her team and she is always there, remembering what you order, drink and pre-empting your every requirement, a special lady who goes above and beyond in carrying out her job, making all her guests feel special. She is a real asset to the Centara.

Breakfast is of good quality and the restaurant manager and her team know what you want and again preempt you every need.

We did have a small problem with our villa, the flooring around the pool was rotting and unfortunately I did fall through it when it snapped, however no serious damage to me and the hotel were very quick to make repairs and ensure I was not hurt. We understand the same thing had happened at the villa next door the day before, so perhaps a little more maintenance is in order for the villas?

The Villas are very close to all the restaurants and is a 10 minute walk to the night market, with lots of shops along the way. This is a great location.

If you are wanting to sit on the beach every day, this isn't perhaps the right area as the beach isn't great and very busy with small local restaurants and lots of sun beds and somewhat dirty. If you want to lay on the beach, perhaps a hotel a little out of town where the beach is much better.

We will definable go back to the Centara, just not the main hotel, but definitely the villas.

Room Tip: Stop in the pool villas (420/418)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kyla64

Dear Kyla64,

We appreciate your taking the time to explore what the resort has to offer, and thank you for your kind comments about the facilities well as the staff services.

We have taken note of your comment regarding the Villas floor condition and maintenances. Rest assured we will do our very best to improve the product and services as to enhance our guest experiences at the resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to the resort again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We where several families who stayed at Centara for attending a wedding. It is the perfect setting for a wedding with the old classic style, friendly and helpful staff, big enough to get privacy but small enough not to loose anyone.
We where super pleased with everything but if I have to find something negative was the rooms a bit on the small side and the beach was a bit chaotic with galloping horses.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisaontheroad94

Dear Lisaontheroad94,

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay at Centara Grand Hua Hin. We appreciate your positive and comments about your experience at the resort.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I recently stayed in the Centara Hua Hin for a long week-end and were very disappointed. The positives first though. This hotel grounds are beautiful, secluded, and peaceful; and the location is both convenient to the beach and to the small downtown area. The common areas, like the lobby and the tea restaurant, are quite charming. The downsides overwhelm these attractive features however. The hotel is badly in need of renovation; the food was probably the worst we’ve ever had in any hotel anywhere in the world (and we travel extensively); and – most importantly – the customer service was unacceptable for a hotel that bills itself as a luxury resort.

First, up close, the hotel is definitely in need of renovation. This is not only on the cosmetic side but also on the functional side – the air conditioning in the room was quite weak; the lighting was inadequate; and there weren’t enough outlets for today’s plugged-in travelers. The wifi – which is not included in the room price – is also quite slow. As for the cosmetic issues, there were several give-aways that this was not – by any stretch – a five-star hotel. The room was large and clean, but very tired: the walls and furniture needed refinishing and painting; and the shower needed – badly – to be recaulked and regrouted. There were also only two thin bath towels.

Second, the food was terrible, both low quality and expensive. We ate one meal in the main restaurant and ordered two things that we thought were pretty basic (fish and chips and fried rice). The fish was clearly not fresh, and the fried rice was the worst I’ve had in Asia or in the U.S. – completely flavorless. I never thought that a restaurant in Thailand could fail at a dish as simple as fried rice but I was wrong. The food was also overpriced; we ate another meal – which was much, much better – at the nearby Hilton for a fraction of the price. (There’s also a wonderful and inexpensive Italian restaurant called Roma within walking distance that I would recommended to anyone staying in the vicinity.)

The issue that dropped this review down to a one-star, however, was the inept and insulting customer service, particularly the check-out. Check-in was cumbersome, but the staff were well-meaning. We live in Thailand and could attribute the small things that got on our nerves after a long drive through flooded streets to cultural differences (why are there always a multitude of people in Thailand who are necessary to conduct the simplest transaction, and yet no one paying attention to the details with which you actually need help?).

But the main issue with customer service concerned the maid who apparently also doubled as the head of security. Given that this is a spa resort, we planned to hit the gym, the spa, the beach, and the pool – all of which meant a lot of cleaning up throughout the week-end. We asked for extra towels and got two more. Then we asked for more than that – and the maid didn’t want to let us have any until we had “turned in” our dirty towels, something I found to be quite insulting. I wondered if the hotel was seriously that concerned we would steal the poor quality cotton strips they called towels, but I let it go.

Then, on the day we checked out, when we came out of the room with our luggage, the same maid was hovering in the hallway. I don’t even know how she knew we were leaving at that moment, but she was there, and demanded to go check the mini-bar. We stood there while she rifled through the room drawers and checked the mini-bar (we hadn’t had a thing), and neglected to ask us if we needed any help with our luggage (which would have been nice considering there is no elevator – we took everything down the stairs ourselves).

Then at check-out, my husband encountered several problems. One is that they kept asking him about the mini-bar. We didn’t use anything, so we are lost as to why this was such a big deal. Second is that the bill was not ready and the front desk could not tell us what the final room charge was – which was absolutely, totally unacceptable. We had booked through Centara’s own website which they explained – at check-out – sometimes goes through Agoda and they would provide the bill. So we had to leave not knowing whether there was some egregious billing error. Given the outrageous hold they put on your credit card, this was quite disconcerting.

The final problem at check-out, and I admit my own error here, has to do with the laundry bag in the room. I had forgotten to bring a plastic bag for my dirty clothes and there was no plastic bag in the room, only a linen one. I used it the first night of our stay, meaning to change over everything when I bought something in town and got a bag. I then forgot about it. At check-out, they asked my husband – who had no idea – about it and he had to come get me (in the car) and I of course gave it back right away. I admit I made a mistake here, but it was a LAUNDRY BAG, and they made us feel like thieves; it was terribly embarrassing. They also apparently were going over our room with a fine tooth comb before we could check-out. (I read in another review that another guest had this same issue and the response was Centara’s wish to be environmentally-friendly. Please.) Suggestion to Centara Management: If you can’t let something this trivial go, put up a small sign in the closet saying that the laundry bags (and whatever other items) are offered for guest use while at the hotel. If the guest wishes to keep x item, there will be a nominal charge of y.

I’m sorry if the Centara has had issues with theft and needs to treat each guest as a potential criminal, but this is not an acceptable attitude to have with paying customers at a so-called luxury resort. As other reviewers have suggested, the Centara needs a major overhaul both of the hotel itself, and of the staff’s attitude. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth and we will not stay at a Centara again, in Hua Hin or elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank keeksGeneva
Qmgr, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hua Hin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear keeksGeneva,

Thank you for taking the time to fill up the survey following your stay at our hotel. Needless to say that we are extremely dismayed to read such a negative feed back.

Your comments are none the less very much appreciated and will contribute to rectify most of what went wrong during your visit.

There is no excuse for not meeting guests expectations and, firstly, we would like to sincerely apologize for not having done so.

As you recall, you arrived the day of the tropical storm which so severely damaged our gardens and placed every one at the hotel in an unusual level of stress. The many debris created additional work litterally everywhere. This is no excuse but is just mentioned to replace the context.

We are addressing the difficulties you encountered to get additional towels as this should not be the case in a hotel like ours. The mini-bar check is a standard procedure in every hotel yet we do not want our guests to feel like thieves and this was addressed too with our Housekeeping department and both issues will be monitored on a constant basis.

The room you were in was in the original wing of the hotel opened in 1923 and regularly refurbished.. Some guest requests it adamantly because of its "history" and some, like yourselves don't like it at all. Should you have said something upon check-in, we would have gladly suggested another room with additional features.

We apologize for the lack of luggage service and for the tardiness of our front office to present the bill. There is no excuse for this as everything is computorized.

We obviously failed in performing the kind of service we are know for and are very sorry. We hope that the image of our hotel is not damaged forever and that you will give us another opportunity to show you that this experience was an exception and not the rule.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Well there is a reason we are going to Hua Hin every year and one of these - the other one is Bam Bam restaurant - is the Centara. The gardens are unbelievable, the rooms in classic colonial style simply lovely and the service in all parts of the hotel impecable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Barba23rossa,

We appreciate your kind feedback of your recent stay at Centara Grand Hua Hin and glad that you had a great time the resort.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.