“Hotel?! No * star * maybe...”
Review of Veranda Lodge

Veranda Lodge
Ranked #15 of 232 Speciality Lodging in Hua Hin
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Booked based on some nice reviews and images.. Very disappointed upon arrival it was clear that this is not a holiday break you would enjoy and pictures were misleading making you believe its a boutique hotel but in fact is a run down "hostel" looking establishment.. .The reception and the rest of the area up to the beach was a total mess, pool looked dirty with floating leaves ( as some guests commented its not a swimming pool more of a puddle ). Old sun beds and dated dining area.. This looks like an abandoned place where someone decided to put some decent renovated rooms.. And charge 70-100 euros a night!!!! We canceled our reservation as soon as we walked in, but apparently "a lot of people come and will take the room we canceled". Reality check: Hua Hin has excellent choice of accommodation and very high standards and excellent facilities for a lot lower cost than Veranda Lodge "Hotel". No staff in sight to help you with luggage or in general - a receptionist and some workers fixing the roof.
Also a total lie "2-minute walk to Hua Hin Town and the night market" its a 10 minute ride by tuk tuk, and about 25 minute walk to the night market and Hua Hin center.
Charge 30 euros a night and people won't expect much.. Very angry that had to fight in order be able to get out of the reservation and stay somewhere decent. Checked into Anantasila further down but an amazing thai owned hotel and no comparison...

Room Tip: Book sea vie otherwise end up looking at a parking lot
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MCJULIA
There are newer reviews for Veranda Lodge

Reviewed 18 January 2012

It is very convenient located for a good walk (15 - 20 mins) downtown Hua Hin. It is just next to a very nice part of beach and has a nice restaurant / bar as well as a reserved area on the beach... The staff was very friendly, and helpfull... The rooms was cleanded to a very high standard every day...

The wireless was "challenging".. All WIFI antennas are allocated same name, so it makes it difficult when you change location and need a new connection. The beach was a marketplace most of the day and it was sometimes annoying with all the people wanting to sell you whatever...

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank steinwi
Reviewed 7 December 2011

First time in Hua Hin and therefore also first time at Veranda Lodge. Had no information regarding this hotel other than what found in Internet. Pictures we saw looked very nice.
Before we came to Hua Hin we met another couple who knew this Hotel. Their advice was: Avoid the small "Villas" in the garden, they does not give privacy but looks nice at pictures.

We were lucky - got room 601 at 2nd floor and with a nice veranda (same veranda for all 4 rooms at 2nd floor) towards the sea.
The room had what you need - good bed - good AC - safe - TV.

The room was kept clean every day, new good towels - brown for the beach and white indoor - every day. We stayed here for 13 nights.

Food: We had our brake fast at the hotel restaurant (Towards the beach) and most every day also lunch. BUT we had dinner only once at the hotel restaurant. Why? The food we got was not as expected and almost triple in cost compare to other places 5 min walking away.

The "swimming" pool is very small - name it POOL - but for swimming? no.
One couple in it then "occupied". The veranda above the restaurant had a kiosk - never open during our stay.
This hotel has a nice charm due to the fact that it was different buildings and an "inside" garden.

The beach: Veranda Lodge has their own part of the beach with sun beds with mattresses free for use. This part of the beach was not crowded - nice. (But during our stay there we had a lot of wind and then some waves - with the result of no swimming in salt water.)
VL also had a kiosk at the beach - but as for the other one - this one also was closed during our stay. Tried to find out why - but as "normal" - got no answer on the question!

The beach with the wind looks good to Kiters

Staff at the hotel: Pleasant staff - but impossible to get a proper answer on a question - so we did the Thai way: Smiled and said Thank You.

The hotel is in walking distance to nigthmarked - lot of restaurants an a big supermaked.

But what to do in Hua Hin if you not play Golf? Almost nothing than relax! (shopping going "somewere" an hour or two with car to look at The King summer place etc)
Not a place if you like diving an/or snorkeling
A big + at the end: Check out time is 1200 hrs, but we should not leave for Bangkok before 1700 hrs. We asked in the reception if we could have the room until 1700 hrs - with a lot of smiling - explanation and repetition we finally got a YES. Thanks to you!

Room Tip: CHOOSE room 601 or 602-603-604 gives best privacy - nice veranda towards the sea.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TogB
Reviewed 7 November 2011

So if you have read any of my other reviews I am an intrepid traveller. I have stayed in 2 stars and I have stayed in 5 stars.

The Veranda Lodge used to be my favourite boutique hotel in Hua Hin. It is located on what - I think is - the best stretch of beach in Hua Hin. I have read other reviews of the Veranda Lodge and was surprised at some of the less flattering ones...but I have to say this recent visit was not the best visit, ergo the rating I am giving it.

The hotel has undergone some extensive renovations and has grown quite a bit in the process. On this trip we stayed in the Sea View Villa (the villas are new) and whereas the roos in the original building had a very nice design aesthetic, these Villas remind me of a Howard Johnson style of room, and they are crowded together as if living in a trailer campsite. Luckily our Sea Villa was closest to the beach and with the most privacy. It may be that there are many Thais who visit Veranda Lodge and perhaps the lack of privacy is a nice community feeling? Unsure so I can only comment on my reaction to the new accommodations.

It was lovely to hear the waves on the beach, however, when we walked out on to our little veranda we overlooked broken and battered lounge chairs, litter and leaf debris, and a sandy beach that looked like it had been in a battle. It was a bit depressing and not what I was used to. I have been coming here about once every 18 months or so since 2005 so I am familiar with the hotel and yes, I did have expectations based on prior experiences. I wondered if there had been a storm that had littered the beach so I waited a bit and then after Day 2 actually went to the front desk to ask if the beach would be raked or cleaned up. The front desk had no idea what the beach looked like, and to their credit sent out four gardeners to set things right. I know that I appreciated this action very much, and I am certain the other guests did too. Unfortunately the battered and broken lounge chairs with torn and damaged lounging pads were not removed from my line of vision...but the beach being cleaned was a huge improvement.

The next issue was that our villa ceiling was invaded by squirrels. In fact one there was a royal battle and one of them fell out of the ceiling and onto our bed, ran around chattering and then hid in the back of our mini-fridge. This was also a bit scary and unpleasant. Eventally the situation was addressed as my husband discovered holes in the exterior of our villa and workmen were sent to patch it.....however there were remaining squirrels now trapped inside the ceiling. This resulted in us pushing the bed to the middle of the room so that we would at least be out of the way if more squirrels fell. We did explain the situation again the next morning but nothing else was done about it, so we just lived with the incessant running and chattering of the squirrels for the next few days.

Now onto more pleasant things. The food is always good at the Veranda Lodge, the breakfast especially. As I mentioned before it has a great location, and in fact a new Market Village Mall is about a 10 minute walk which has many shops and a nice variety of restaurants.

The cleaning of our Villa was done very nicely and we always had fresh towels and bottles of water. The flatscreen tv was very nice with many channels and good reception.

I am conflicted about returning to this spot again. I love the location but unsure about how the hotel is being managed at this point.

Room Tip: Sea view villas if you can be assured that the rodent problems has been resolved. Otherwise I would...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vcbalderson
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We've stayed at room 702 for two nights. View is good because it's veranda on the sea but not as good as room 701. We'll try to book 701 next time. Bed mattress is firm and comfy. Parking lot is limited but seems enough for this small hotel but they have security guard to screen who's eligible to use parking lot. breakfast is not buffet. they come with choices e.g. american, French toast, continental and thai style. OJ is too watery but Ok for me. location is very convenient for visiting market village. Pool is too small. We didn't have dinner or lunch at this place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank karnd
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stayed here for a few nights and it was a great hotel in terms of the product, setting and location. There was a small problem when I checked in with regard to the room type I had booked, but they were able to sort this out. The biggest problem is the staff, whilst nice and friendly as is typical Thai style, they just did seem to have much of an idea about running a hotel.
I asked different questions about things to do in Hua Hin and was told incorrect or just wrong information by staff. When checking out, the staff insisted on making me wait until they 'check' the room. When I asked why, I was told that I may have forgotten something, which was just untrue. There was no mini-bar, no things in the room I could of used without paying for (which is the usual reason hotels do this), but they just wanted to make sure I hadn't stolen anything! This sort of customer suspicion and assumption just leaves a bad taste as you depart the hotel. I was made to pay cash on check-in for the entire stay before I had even seen the room! The restaurant is expensive for the level of hotel and the staff in the restaurant at the hotel are lazy and would much prefer a chat rather than doing their job.
Be careful what room type you book as there is a big difference for the deluxe room, the most basic, which is in a concrete block at the back of the site, to the villas, which aren't really villas as it is just more modern rooms in a block closer to the beach compared to the bungalows which are the nice views pictured on the websites.
As I made comment to the staff on departure, a beautiful hotel but the poor guest relations and management leaves you leaving disappointed.

Room Tip: I would book a bungalow over a villa as they are the same price and the bungalows look more idyllic.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Fish0072
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Although it was off season and humidity was high, we got the best treatment and wonderful food at this small place.
We will come back again to Veranda Lodge to enjoy a breakfast with beach view and wonderful evening menus with a cool breeze from the sea. The rooms were comfortable and quiet, the atmosphere very laid back and welcoming at the same time.
Barbara

Room Tip: We had rooms in the main building - very nice
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family