“Perfect short romatic n relaxing weekend break...”

Aleenta Hua Hin Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 137 Hotels in Hua Hin
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect short romatic n relaxing weekend break...”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

My bf booked a ground floor suite with private pool and breakfast from Agoda.com for a Saturday night as a weekend break from Bangkok and I would recommend Aleenta to any couple plotting a romantic and relaxing getaway without hesitation! We arranged for a taxi ourselves, and it costs approximately 2400 thai bhat one way from Sukhumvit in Bangkok, after some negotiation and not including tips. Arranging for a Thai driver is strongly recommended as the resort is very out of the way, 3hours drive from Bangkok and 30mins away from the clearly signed-posted Hua Hin. We arrived in late afternoon after our local driver asked for directions no less than 5 times, but it's totally worth it once you get there.

Check in was smooth and efficient and we were shown our room. AMAZING. It was a lovely suite, with views of the ocean and waves breaking in the beach, a private pool to the left which doubles up as a jacuzzi (you can swtich on the bubbles and a small waterfall) and the terrace with sun loungers and table and chairs to the right. There's a mini-bar as per standard, a sofa by the entrance (great for kicking off sandy flipflops on returning from the beach) and another long table/ shelves combo with a Bose sound system with an iPod (with a range of appropriate playlists), fresh tropical fruits, a few paperback holiday reads and a range of board games (blackgammon, checkers, jenga etc). In the wardrobe, they provided lovely soft cotton robes, pyjamas, slippers, yoga mat and a raffia bag for the beach. The bathroom had slate-tiled walls and wooden decks.

Before spending some quality time together it's worth getting to know the room. We found out leaving the wooden frog out on the steps means you want privacy, you can draw curtains to close off the private pool and in order for the air-con to work, you've to make sure all the doors and windows are closed properly- We learnt this the hard way when we thought the AC isn't working at 2am and called over a member of staff to help us... He was still smiley and courteous as ever at 2am!

Turn down service was ever so discret and attentive. We went for a walk on the beach and returned to a suite that was ready for the evening: Curtains drawn, water replaced, things generally straightened up, mosquito net put in place- The mosquito net was more for dramatic effect for the lights/ shadowns and the atmosphere rather than for function as neither of us got bitten by anything throughout our stay. They definitely have that under control (very important in Asia in view of risk of infections and general itchiness).

Dinner could be ordered to the room till 22:30, but we had a lovely fresh light Thai supper at the restaurant. My bf's from Bangkok and is a vegetarian, and nothing was too much trouble for them in terms of food. Drinks wise they've a well-stocked wine cellar, as well as juices, cocktails, beers etc. Alternatively you can also book for a private BBQ dinner on the beach, doing it yourself or with a chef in attendance, as long as you book 3 hours in advance and weather permitting (it was raining the evening we were there).

Breakfast was ordered on a card, left on the door (or with the wooden frog by the steps) and delivered to the table on your terrace. The staff would then alert you by knocking on the door (and they would patiently wait until you get the door). We had a western breakfast, withn tea, coffee, fresh orange and apple juices (note: Oranges are of the Thai variety- they're green small ones which taste different to Tropicana). We had a small fried-up of eggs, tomato, beans, along came plates of pastries, mini-muffins, fresh fruits and proscuitto/ salami and cheese. We booked a spa appointment after breakfast and was very impressed with the quality and the setting of the massage. The Spa is located on top of the restaurant on the 2nd floor of the building, with the treatment room we were allocated is a semi-circular room with high thatched celing, over-looking the beach and the sea. We had the oil massage and it was one of the best back massages I've ever had (and I had many in my travels throughout Asia and Europe!). It was so relaxing and the staff never appeared rush in any way.

We had lunch at the restaurant (by the way there's an infinity pool with the view of the ocean near the bar) before we went for a walk on a beach and a swim back to the hotel. The beach that Aleenta has access to is a 4-5km long public beach, though by comparison, this is an underveloped, relatively untouched beach, and it's a good thing. It has not yet been touched by coach-load of Thai or international tourists, and you can tell because its lack of plastic tents and the wooden beds which Thai beach tourists are so fond of, or the sun loungers and white towels for the internationals. The beach and the sea is clean, with some small-scale fishing boats still operating in the local waters. The fishermen keep some dogs on the boats and in the surrounding area, so there're dogs wondering around, but they neither bark at people nor get close. There was no trash, oil or broken glass, we found only shells of different shapes, and crabs that make holes in the sand which scurried away as we walked along. My bf and I were both happy to swim in the sea.

Aleenta provides lots of activities which guests could join, including daily yoga lessons (7-8am... It was too early for me persoanlly), trips to nearby waterfall, Hua Hin night market, boat trips.... You can also request for horse riding, ATV (all terrain vehicle) rides, banana boating, jetskiing etc. The Spa also provide private yoga lessons and an exhaustive lists of treatments and lessons, including treatments that corresponds to the cycle of the sun and moon and 'Private moon dance lessons'... which I found highly-amusing and a little too 'new age' for my taste :P

All in all, I had the most wonderful relaxing stay at Aleenta. Even an one night at this place was enough to help my bf and I relax and recharge for Bangkok again. Everything slowed down, the staff were attentive to just the right degree and never intrusive. Once again, I would recommemd Aleenta Panburi to any couple looking for a relaxing getaway and quality time together without hesitation.

Khob-kun-ka, sawadee-ka :D

Room Tip: Booking through Agoda.com was the cheapest and hassle free. We got a ground floor suite with a priva...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank ImperialLolo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Just came back from Aleenta HuaHin. I am quite enjoy the hotel, location and services specially the fluffy bed and pillow but I couldn't sleep well because of the curtain was not in the right place and not cover our room well so I felt asleep though the night awared that people outside will look thought it or stare at me when I slept. By the way I love ABF and overall.

• Stayed July 2011
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 25 July 2011

After a backpacking tour through Thailand this hotel was pure, romantic luxury! The staff are fantastic and so friendly and the setting is breathtaking. Everything in the resort does cost more than the usual in Thailand but that is expected. However, it is not overpriced and still cheaper than western prices. There are a few small 'restaurants' nearby which serve very cheap Thai food and there is even an excellent Thai massage place just up the road from the resort. The Spa at the resort is very good though! Food is fantastic and private plunge pool overlooking the sea is heavenly! Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Frankfurt_83
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My husband and I went here for a long weekend looking for some relaxation which it definitely provided. The hotel was on the beach unlike many other resorts there, although the beach was not a private one and hence a bit dirty and with a lot of dogs wandering inside the resort as well.
The rooms were big and spacious with an i-pod dock, books and games provided in the room which was a good concept. However, there is no TV in the room for all those who might need that in the room, it didnt really bother us though. We thought the rooms did not have too much privacy and we even saw a man peeping in another guest room at night which didnt seem too safe. Also, our room did not have a plunge pool as shown in all the pics on the website and the swimming pool was extremely tiny.
The service was alright and we even got a complimentary shoulder massage which was quite nice.
The food was quite pathetic. Even the thai dishes were not prepared well. I would recommend going to the nearby restaurants which have much better thai food.
Overall, the resort is good if you are looking for some peace and tranquility but not if you are looking for some nightlife or activity.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charuag
Hong Kong
Reviewed 22 May 2011

The resort is a 3 hour drive from Bangkok airport, so we booked transport with the resort. The driver was 90 minutes late. We were harassed constantly by Thai military to vacate the arrival area. We had nowhere to go, short of rebooking our own transport. It took 2 international calls to the agent to resolve the issue. This was an extremely bad first impression that had to be reported. Investigation by the resort manager revealed that an administrative error was the cause. To his credit, the driver was cheerful, helpful and attentive.

The Pool Suites are stunning - right on the beach front with a small private pool. The decor, ambiance and earthy charm of the place did set the pace for a relaxing stay.

The beach was also uncrowded and clean.

The restaurant has some creative and tasty food. Breakfast was a daily treat. Make sure daily breakfast is part of your booking. Breakfast can be arranged at the room easily. Since we had prepaid, the staff brought our choice of breakfast to us, to an outdoor table on the lawn beside the beach. This was breathtaking.

Unfortunately the stay had significant problems with service.

The private pool did not function for 3 days in 5, in spite of repeatedly reporting the issue to reception. This led to the pool becoming green or cloudy - we chose to swim in the sea instead on those occasions. We later found out that the sea is prone to large jellyfish...

Room air-conditioning broke down twice in a single night again requiring multiple calls to reception.

Restaurant service is quirky - make sure you get what you ask for. Don't settle for what the staff brings. We had to get the staff to fix an order 4 times in succession before we received what we had ordered. On another occasion we were served something we hadn't ordered because what we had ordered was out of stock.

There is language difficulties with staff. On one occasion, room service needed to clean the room, but did not pay heed to our repeated response "Do not come in.", which led to an embarrassing moment. The manager informed us later that the stylised wooden frog carving on the bedside is the "do not disturb" indicator when left outside the door. If we had only known...

We kept track of all of our troubles and presented them to the manager - who was both apologetic and accomodating.

The resort offers bicycles to have a look around the surrounds, but scooters can be hired easliy and cheaply, which allows travel further afield. For future reference, this would be my preferred option.

All up it was a good stay, but we'd force the resort to confirm every last detail if we were to stay again.

Room Tip: Book through an agent to get a better rate.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mmacrobert
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We stayed at the Aleenta for 10 nights over new year. The hotel and setting was exactly what we were looking for. Perfect relaxation....
The staff are excellent and have a real personal touch.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kirkycrfc
Derbyshire, UK
Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed at Aleenta Pran Buri in Feb last year for our 10th wedding anniversary and decided to return again this year. We made the booking and received confirmation but a couple of weeks later we were told the hotel was booked for a wedding so we couldnt have the room type we booked for the first 3 days. This was ok and we agreed to stay in a different room and be moved following the wedding's departure. 3 weeks before our holiday we were contacted again to be told that the wedding party had fully booked the hotel and we couldnt stay there for the first 3 nights at all! We were offered another hotel 30 miles away and it was too late to change our plans or look for somewhere else to stay so we accepted. Suffice to say the collection from the airport was smoothly done and we enjoyed the 3 nights in the alternative hotel - Yaiya (will write a review of it when I get chance).
We were told to be ready to be taken to Aleenta at 1pm on the 3rd day and we were collected and driven there on time. However when we arrived, the wedding party were milling around and it became clear immidiately that our room was not ready as the guests occupying it were still checking out. When we were told our room number, I queried it as I had specifically requested the same room as we stayed in last year and the one we were given was next door. I pointed this out and was told we could have the room we wanted but we would have to wait 30 minutes for the room to be cleaned, which we agreed to.
The remainder of our stay was lovely... the rooms are small and not much storage space but the setting on the beachfront is so lovely that it more than makes up for it. Room service breakfast was always delivered promptly to the table in front of our room and although not quite as nice as last year (less choice, miniscule glasses of juice) it was delicious.
When we came to check out I went to reception to query our bill as I had spoken to SLH.com about the issues with my booking and they said that they thought we shouldnt have to pay for the 3 night stay in Yaiya Hotel and I had emailed Aleenta reservations and stated this clearly yet it was still on the bill. I spoke to the receptionist but she was not able to do anything about this so she spoke to head office on the phone and said someone would come to talk to me. A little while later an English guy appeared and introduced himself as part of the Aleenta team and asked my about my issues. I explained and said that despite having a lovely stay, I did not think that I should have to pay for their mistake. He agreed to cover the cost of the Yaiya hotel and it was deducted from our bill straight away without any fuss which I was happy about.
Despite the issues with the booking and the fallout from it, we had a lovely second stay at Aleenta. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get away from a busy life, relax and do nothing but walk up and down a beautiful beach and read books and sip long island iced teas and fall asleep to the sound of the sea. The rooms are fairly basic but clean and have everything you need and the food is great, allbeit a little pricey. We ate out most nights at the Thai restaurant a just past the Maroc hotel, where 4 dishes with rice and 2 large beers costs about £10.
We are planning to go back next year.

Room Tip: pool suites on the beach are the best
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple