“I would turn back to AKA again”
Review of AKA Resort & Spa

AKA Resort & Spa
Ranked #87 of 137 Hotels in Hua Hin
“I would turn back to AKA again”
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I stay at AKA Resort for one night at 2 Dec 2009 celebrating my birthday, however it made me feel extremely disappointed.
I and my boyfriend drive to AKA from Cha am, we see lots of signage of other hotels except AKAs. Maintence of the environment is unexpectedly poor, the woodern handles are all old or even broken. A unbelievable smelly natural pool is next to the restaurant.
In our deluxe pool villa room, the woodern floor beside private pool is again broken, iron spike is underlapped and hurt my foot. We called reception for golf cart service from our room to hotel entrance, after 30mins of waiting we haven't see any staff to pick us up.
My boyfriend contacted AKA to prepare a surprise birthday cake for me, however AKA forget this issue surprisely. At the end of the trip, I found that they have overcharged us. I am still processing my complaint over them.
All of the above experience tell me that I can't have any excuse to visit AKA again.

1 Thank Siumice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We expected better service from a small intimate resort, but what was supposed to be an exclusive experience became impersonal and we ultimately felt completely alienated. For instance, we were having problems with wi-fi and without offering to determine the cause, we were simply told to take our laptop outside -- it was 11pm and the mozzy-infested patio was simply too dark. Breakfast service seemed rushed and unfriendly for such a small resort of approx. 30 rooms where there is no more than 20 guests at any one time. Communications between staff/shifts are lacking so we had to speak to multiple staff on the same matter.

Location may be a problem for those looking to visit the town, restaurants, and other attractions in Hua Hin -- it is very desolate. There isn't enough within the resort to keep you satisfied for more than a few nights. The free shuttle service by the hotel has limited seats and does not run frequently enough. One-way taxi costs THB 400 to town and does add up on longer stays.

Rooms at the AKA Resort (not to be confused with the newer AKA Kuti) are tired, with signs of wear and tear on furnishings, fixtures. Floor-to-ceiling window panes that run on three sides of the villa open up to the wooden deck, spa cottage, the 10m long plunge pool, and would appeal to those looking to enjoy the elements. The upper patio is nice to have, but floors are moldy and desperately need cleaning.

I wouldn't recommend it to those looking to enjoy Hua Hin and all it has to offer. Lack lustre service, lack of variety within the hotel, and being so desolate -- it may appeal to some, but not enough for us to recommend to a friend.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brightfuchsia

Travellers are raving about these Hua Hin hotels

United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We chose to stay at the Aka Resort for 7 nights mainly for the Golf. There website stated that there was a shuttle bus every hour into hua hin, and that they could orangise all your golfing requirements, this was not the case.

We arrived and immediately found the Aka very nice, our check in procedure was very long, and we had to sign documentation about the safety of our personal belongings. We did know from Trip Advisor about the robberies, but this document just made us even more wary.

We were golf carted to our Villa, which was a 2 bedroom pool villa. This was very nice, with seperate livingroom quarters, there was security walls all round the villa, so you did feel very secure. The pool was lovely. The accomodation and decking was quite dated, it could be done with an update. We kept catching our bare feet on nail of the decking. The pool itself was very dangerous to get in and out of. The steps were in the corner of the pool but were very deep, and the side of pool was very slippy so you found you were stretching yourself to get in and out. This would be extremely dangerous for families with young children.

We tried to orangeise some golf with the hotel, but they did not have any information for us. They managed to get us booked on Black Mountain, which is just a 5 minute trip in a minibus up the mountain, but as for any other courses in the area, we were having to do it all our selves, which obviously was not what the website had stated.

We also tried to get on there shuttle bus to go into hua hin, 1 day they said it was fully booked but we never seen anyone else going about, and the next day they said it would not be running until 6pm, so both times we had to get a taxi to and fro which cost us 300 baht each way. The road up to the hotel was also in a very bad way. All the taxis drove really slow to avoid either the dogs or the great craters of pot holes, so the journey to hua hin took you about 20 minutes.

We ate in the restaurant 1 night, and the food was really really good, hats off to the chef. It may have been a bit pricey but you can't complain about good food here, it was excellant.

As i said at the beginning of my review, we had booked here for 7 nights, but we checked out after 3 and headed to a hotel that could organise the golf for us.

I would not return to the Aka, i have been there, it is not somewhere i would wish to return as its a bit to desolate and is not up to the standards received at other high graded hotels.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Chavenay, France
Reviewed 17 October 2009

I was not disappointed. I chose the Aka because I wanted to stay in a quiet hotel during a short trip to Thailand. I loved the privacy of the villa !

Only 2 things I did not like :
- The gym is small and does not have air conditionning !
- When I checked out, my credit card was charged in euros not in Thai Bath. I knew if it was the case that the exchange rate would be very poor. I insisted to be charged in Thai Bath, was assured I would be (both the euro and thai bath amounts were on the receipt) ... when I checked my bank account I found out I had been charged in euros. Not very honest.
In any case, its a beautiful hotel and I very much enjoyed my stay !

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Ireland
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Not long back from the AKA. It is such a "chill out" relaxing resort. The staff are always very attentive and friendly, day & night. Food in the restaurant is a little pricey but is excellent. Of course it has to be "Eggs Benedict" for breakfast which is a meal on its own. Just wonderful. The Villas are very private & are very clean & up to a very high standard. There is a library there with 2 computers on internet. At night you can get the courtesy bus to Hua Hin & eat & maybe have a few drinks & a taxi back where there are very attentive security guards with torches to see you to your villa. Hua Hin is only 10 mins. away. I will definitely be back.
I would call it "Thailand's Hidden Little Gem".

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank valiumIreland
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 September 2009

A beautifully designed resort just outside Hua Hin.

All private villas with private pools - outdoor showers, huge bed, private sala on the roof. Quiet and relaxing.

The location of the report is a little remote - but to us this was not really a problem - only 10 mins to town. Hua Hin as a town did not really impress me that much - so luckily we had a great place to retreat to and hang out.

We had a lovely evening with room service by our private pool - each course was delivered individually - with candles placed all around the pool - very romantic!

Lovely food, delightful staff, a great place if you want to escape from it all.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lcg79
london
Reviewed 15 August 2009

wow what can i say from the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff treated us like princesses!! the location is very secluded and set within acres of land with all villas and private pools the location is not for everyone but if your after complete peace and tranquillity then this is the place for you!!! we spent 2 nights here to get away from the noise of Bangkok took about 2 and half hours by private transfer!!! we stayed in a one bed deluxe villa with a ten metre affinity pool garden massage room private outside shower and bath and a roof top sala so lovely clean and private!!! room service serving all kinds of lovely food delivered throughout the day and a restaurant for tasty breakfast lunch and dinner!!! because of the location there are plenty of lizards and bugs around that may scare some we had this huge spider in the rooom and housekeeping came and got it for us she also laughed at us darting across the floor ha ha ha there is also free wireless in every villa and a computer centre and library

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple