“Thoroughly enjoyed my stay - excellent hotel!!”

Rest Detail Hotel Hua Hin
Ranked #13 of 136 Hotels in Hua Hin
London, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyed my stay - excellent hotel!!”
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Stayed at the Rest Detail from the 20th Feb/5th March in an Horizon room. Upon arrival was greeted with a very warm welcome, lovely refreshing drink, lovely smelling cool face cloth and was a given a bracelet as a welcome gift. Check in was smooth and at a leisurely pace. We're given the use of a pool villa to freshen up and change into our beach wear whilst our room was being prepared for us as we arrived very early in the morning.

As breakfast was still taking place when we arrived I decided that I would have some juice and a small bite to eat, I told 2 different members of staff that we were going to do this should they need to speak with us. Whilst having my juice and eating a small plate of food, the staff member that checked us in, came over and informed me that as we officially don't check in until 2pm we will be charged for the breakfast. I pointed out very firmly that I had told two members of staff that I intended to go breakfast for a coffee and maybe a pancake or something, no-one informed me that this would be chargeable as our room rate included breakfast. I pointed out that this was their mistake/error and i did not want to be bothered with their errors after travelling nearly half way round the world and being up for 24 hrs - she apologised and that was the end of the matter, no charge was placed on our room. This was the only problem that I experienced during my stay and it was dealt in an instant - great service.

The Horizon rooms are very spacious, light and airy, fantastic sea views, modern design, massive bed and very comfy, all the facilities that you need, flat screen TV, DVD player, IPod speaker, bathrobes, slippers, flip flops, beach bag, fruit plate, complimentary water, I did have to call reception and ask them to bring some additional items as there was 3 of us staying in this room, we had 3 robes, 3 slippers, 3 flip flops etc but only 2 of the various drinking glasses and enough fruit for 2, and tea/coffee for 2, loved having a caferitia for the coffee, very nice touch. One phone call and the room was completely stocked for 3 people - again, great service, with a smile. Lovely deep bath, takes awhile to fill but lovely, makes a nice change from the shower. Shower - very powerful and refreshing. Jacuzzi was lovely spent a whole evening in there one night, drinking champagne and listening to music and having fun - as you do!! Rooms were cleaned to a high standard, room service very efficient. Great selection of TV channels should you wish to just chill out in your room and what a film, didn't use the DVD library as the movie channel was great, only watched TV one night, as I recovering from a rather heavy night in town the previous night!!

The hotel has 56 rooms, very well maintained, extremely friendly and helpful staff, can't do enough for you, nothing is too much trouble. Really got to know the staff quite well in the 10 dys that I was there. The infinity pool was lovely, perfect temperature, never too busy or noisey, no issues with sunbeds, plenty of them in the sun or shade, small childs pool, only saw one child in there during my stay. Very quiet and relaxing at the pool, pool service is available. A small area at the end of the pool with sun chairs and to the left of the pool there is a small private beach area with 3 hugs sunbed canopy's, with drapes if you wish to shade yourself from the sun. The beach is huge, sea is warm but it's not the cleanist or nicest of beaches, Thailand has much better beaches than this but it's great for a nice stroll, always a strong sea breeze by around lunchtime which is very refreshing and much welcomed.

The poolside bar/restaurant has a dual menu, a day lunch time menu and then an evening menu. During the evening they bring out table/chairs etc aroun the pool area. The food here is execellent, I enjoyed everything that I ordered at this restaurant. The buffet breakfast was also enjoyable, breakfast juices were delicous, I became big fan of the dim sum had some everyday with my breakfast, you can have eggs any which way you like and this is served with bacon, sausages, fried potatoes and a slice of ham and sliced cherry tomatoes. Or you can have a more tradtional thai style breakfast, or a continental breakfast, cerals, cakes, rolls, various types of bread, freshly cooked waffles or pancakes. You can also make your juice. All in all a very satisfying breakfast which I didn't get bored of.

The poolside bar/restaurant provides a daily special everyday plus ice-cream for desert, for around 180 bahts. There is a daily happy hour for beer/spirits buy 1 get 1 free from 5pm/7pm, wine the same but from 6pm/9pm. Used to enjoy this offer on a daily basis.

Free internet access, very fast and not a problem generally to get on there if required. Book swap library, Onsite Spa which I never got round to using, to busy lazy round the pool.

Didn't use the shuttle bus service into Hua Hin 50baht per person - as there was 3 of us it would have cost the same for the shuttle bus as a taxi, so always got a taxi as we could be dropped where we wanted and when we wanted. 150 to 200 bahts to go into town and to come back, haggle and it's 150 by either taxi or tuk tuk. Two markets in downtown Hua Hin fairly small but has all the usual wears for sale. Also Tesco express, Boots, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Macdonalds. Massive shopping centre and a market outside at the Market Village plus a massive Tesco, it's a bit further out but well worth a visit. Went to some nice restaurants that I would recommend, BAM BAM Thai restaurant, is it just near the small night market on Poolsuk Road, pass the clock tower, basic surroundings but great food, very cheap, very tasty and lovely friendly staff - well worth a visit. La Grappa - 20/5 Poolsuk Road, on the same street as BAM BAM, lovely italian restaurant, went to another Italian on the same road but at the other end close to the market, can't remember the name, starter was nice but didn't enjoy the pizza and my friends pasta tasted nice but was only luke warm when served, so I'd go for La Grappa if you want an italian. Have to admit visited Burger King whilst I was there and it was great, not a great lover of this type of food, maybe have it once or twice a year, went there twice whilst there, quick, cheap, tasty, nothing to heavy, hit the spot and it's 24 hrs.

Finally I would recommend the River Kwai tour with elephant treking, very interesting and fun day. You visit the smallest war cememtry, then onto the Jeath Museum, take a James Bond down the River Kwai to the steel bridge, get off and walk around onto the bridge if you wish. The train arrived and went over the bridge whilst we were there, we then went onto to the next station and got on the train there, we upgraded to 1st class for an additional 50 baht - well worth it. We got a certificate to say we'd travelled on the train, tea or coffee plus a small cake, cooling face cloth, it was great. We travelled over the wooden bridge that was built by the prisoners of war. The train took us to the restaurant where had lunch, which was extremely tasty. Then on by road to the elephant treking which was fun, got to ride an elephant on my own, brilliant. Did a private tour with Kuoni, fautless, excellent day out. Also went to the Floating market - great fun and an interesting day out, done this trip before the last time I was in Thailand and enjoyed it then. My friend hadn't been so was very happy to do this tour again, it's a real experience, not to be missed. Also did the Kau Talo snorkelling trip, don't bother, the coral is dead there, so some sea life but poor for thai standards, much better snorkilling in Southern Thailand, long way to go for such poor snorkelling but nice to see some of the North of Thailand and it's a nice island, lunch was good but snorkilling disappointing, the water wasn't particulary clear, so hampered your view quite badly. Save you money and do a different trip instead.

I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Rest Detail, would definitely go back should I decide to revisit Hua Hin, really couldn't fault the hotel or the staff, please do go and enjoy all it has to offer - you won't be disappointed!! Thailand is indeed "The Land of the Smiles" Been to Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Pee Pee Islands and now Hua Hin. Next Ko Chang or Koh Sumi - love Thailand and love Thai people, so friendly, meek and yet hard working people who so want you to enjoy your time in their country - enjoy!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank Fun loving Sun Seeker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I've stayed at Rest Detail three times so far -- twice with my two primary school-aged kids and one toddler, and once with my mum and sister. So I've been lucky enough to have both the kid-friendly experience there and the adult traveller experience. Basically, this hotel provides an amazing oasis, a retreat from the urban chaos of Bangkok, whether one visits with kids or only adults. I think that's why the hotel has this bizarre name -- after staying there, I now understand that the owners want their guests to "rest", and the owners take pride in tending to every "detail" of their guests' visit. We've stayed once in the Pool Village, where each bungalow (with a king-sized bed and a single-sized day bed) opens onto its own little porch and a deck from which one can step right into the Pool Village's tropical pool. My kids loved that bit. The decor is bright and cheery, sort of Laura Ashley-Goes-Tropical. I stayed there also with my mum and sis, and one of the most relaxing things ever was reclining in a lounger on that deck, sipping a tall, gorgeous iced coffee, and flipping through a gossip mag -- then of course slipping into the pool for a nice swim. The other times with my kids, we took Rest Green rooms over in the main hotel, and these were similar in style to the Village, with huge balconies with cosy whicker furniture and views of the sea even though we were not in officially sea-view rooms. Enough about the rooms -- the food here is SCRUMPTIOUS. Buffet breakfast is superb; as well as anything on the expansive buffet, one can request pancakes, eggs any style, etc. A yoghurt topping bar (anything you can imagine that would be yummy with plain yoghurt!) is an example of the hotel's unusual touches, as well as a chocolate fountain for dipping fruit and croissants. My kids hated that, LOL. Anyway the Thai and Western dishes at Rest Scene, for lunch and supper, are really good. My favourites include the teriyaki salmon with some sort of savoury rice, the caesar salad, and the pad Thai. There's a special every evening of buy one cocktail, get one free, and then later in the evening buy one glass of wine, get one free, and the wine is very nice, not the rubbish many places use for promotions. The staff hit just the right note of warmth and attentiveness without being obsequious or smarmy, as sometimes happens in high-end hotels. Facilities are gorgeous and well-maintained. I've only used the spa once, with my mum and sis; the foot massage and hand massage (kind of ridiculous-sounding, but the hand massage actually lulled me to sleep) were done well, but rather pricey compared with those available in Bangkok -- but on the other hand, spas are always more expensive in hotels than in street shops. The hotel is rather isolated, which I want as a retreat from urban life, but for people who hope to see more of Hua Hin, the hotel offers a shuttle to the town centre (I haven't taken it, so can't report on it). Somehow Rest Detail manages to sustain a serene ambience whilst accommodating families AND quiet, romantic couples. Perhaps it's the two pools, the real beach, the man-made beach next to the Pool Village, the open-air lounge area with Internet access and board games and many sofas, the guestrooms with spacious balconies -- there are so many places to relax that guests never get crowded together. The only time of day I saw throngs of people was at breakfast, but then the rest of the day we sometimes felt like we had whatever spot we were in to ourselves. During my eight-plus years living in Thailand, I've tried many hotels in Hua Hin and elsewhere; Rest Detail has become my No. 1 preferred place to stay when my family need a night or two's break from Bangkok. The drive from the city is a snap (about two hours and 20 minutes from Sukhumvit, including one loo stop), and once we get to the hotel, we really can, at last, relax.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank ExpatMama
London
Reviewed 5 December 2009

My first couple of nights in Thailand were spent at this awesome boutique hotel outside the resort town of Hua Hin. About a hundred miles or so from Bangkok, I arranged for the hotel to pick me up at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok … which, in retrospect, was the perfect introduction to Thailand: I left the logistics to my driver and postponed the buzz of Bangkok for another less jet lagged day.

Once settled into this sweet little seaside hotel it didn’t take long to realize it was one of the most comfortable places I’ve ever laid my head. Hardly more than a year old, the contemporary design (a tropical minimalist feel, large comfy furnishings, open gracious spaces) suited me just fine. Indeed, kicking back in the infinity pool overlooking the Gulf of Siam was a treat I very much hope to experience again.

Equally to my liking was the phenomenal food. Cosmo dishes such as cuttlefish-ink spaghetti seafood tom yum wowed my palette without overshadowing local sensations like the fiery papaya salad, som tom. And the breakfast … oh the breakfast! I suppose Rest Detail’s breaky would be reason enough to revisit. A sort of best of Asia with an abundance of western faves, this was one of the most gorgeous breakfasts I’ve ever eaten! Highlights: steamed bread with pandamus custard, chicken fried rice, warm soy milk with deep fried dough, fresh guava juice.

As the name suggests, they take their guests’ comfort very seriously at Rest Detail Hotel. I would absolutely love to stay there again. There’s a range of rooms, from lush to super lush available at reasonable rates (especially if coming from pricey London).

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Chris O
Bangkok
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I went to Rest Detail in Huahin, Thailand, in September and there’s only one thing I can think of, which is “I love this place and I wanna be back here again”. I have heard a few people talking about this place, both good and bad and I was tempting to find out for myself of what I’ll experience there.

I was impressed from the very first step that I set my foot there. All the staffs were wearing a smile on their faces and greeted us with the iced lemon tea as a welcome drink and a bracelet with initial “RDH” as a welcome gift. The ambiance of the hotel is simple and warm, with blue, white and gray as the main colors that you’ll see everywhere you go.

The staff led us to our room which is “Rest Horizon”, a spacious room with a private outdoor Jacuzzi. I fell in love with this room instantly as the decoration gave me the warm feeling and I figured out why they named this place “Rest Detail”. Every single thing at this hotel shows the attention to detail that makes me smile, from the place itself to the service from the lovely staff.

I had a chance to spend some time at the swimming pool, and the staff offered me the snack menu. The staff was attentive as well as knowing the menu very well as she could explain and make great recommendation to me. The deep-fried camembert and Chocolatini were absolutely amazing.

As a music lover, I was glad that they provided us with the ipod deck station, which I thought would be great to listen to the songs while surfing the internet on the sunbed next to the Jacuzzi (they also provide free-wifi service). It was already a night time, and while I was listening to the song from the ipod, I heard another music, which I thought came from the other room but I was wrong. There was a live band playing jazz at the main swimming pool! So my ipod wasn’t needed anymore, and I had a wonderful time lying on the sunbed gazing at the stars while listening to the live jazz music.

It was my sister’s birthday when we went there, so the staff brought us a complimentary (and delicious) birthday cake. They also brought a little tray filled with 2 bags of bath salt and a little snack as a way of saying good night to the guests. I found that to be really cute!

The logo of this hotel is 3 monkeys – hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil, and I am certain that a lot of the guests would feel like me while they’re spending their time there because when I was “resting” there, I could really feel the serenity that I’m sure I would hear, see or speak no evil. I also think that they have done a great job on representing the name “Rest Detail” as everyone get to “rest” in a peaceful setting while being surrounded by all the cute little “detail”.

There are actually so much more to tell about this place… But all I can say is that if you have a chance to visit Huahin, Rest Detail is one of the places you definitely should give it a try. As for myself, I cannot stop telling people around me how impressed I am with this place and that I will be back there again soon.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pearie_Baileys
Antwerp
Reviewed 23 October 2009

This was an excellent hotel - in the true meaning of the word - we were treated as real VIP's - the rooms were ipeccable - breakfast a feast and the meals inside of excellent quality - we are great fish-lovers naturaly - a top of the bill-stay.
We should recommend this hotel to anyone even our best friends !
On condition that they respect the tranquility and the peacefull character of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank morckhoven
Paisley, Scotland
Reviewed 13 October 2009

We recently visited Bangkok for our honeymoon - three nights in Bangkok and nine nights in Hua Hin. The Rest Detail hotel was a perfect choice for us after the hectic city life of Bangkok! Recommended for anyone looking for a tranquil and serene environment on the sea front.

The staff were quietly attentive to every need throughout the day and night. High quality food and drink were available at any hour, but sitting in the poolside restuarant for seafood dining was unbeatable. Very fresh and competitively priced - I recommend the Salmon Teriyaki!

Great shuttle bus service into Hua Hin town (approx 10 minutes) booked at reception, and they were very punctual. We had a room with hot tub on our balcony, which was an extra luxury alongside the beautiful beach and pool. Huge comfortable bed, fresh fruit to our room every night, and we made use of extras like their DVD library.

Very impressed with Hua Hin as a whole, and would definitely return to Rest Detail again!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple