“Absolutely no reason to stay here” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thipurai Beach Hotel & Annex

Thipurai Beach Hotel & Annex
Ranked #47 of 133 Hotels in Hua Hin
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Absolutely no reason to stay here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

Unfriendly and unhappy staff, smelly bathroom, bathroom floor filled with woman's hair, able to hear every movement outside your room, able to hear your neighbours and their TV, poor food quality -- these are some of the reasons this place should be avoided. We were a party of 30 people -- some couples and some coming as singles. All the couples were given twin-bedded rooms and the single people were given double-bedded rooms! Room was not cleaned at the end of the second day. I called to enquire and was told that's because I did not put up the sign at the door to clean the room. Can it be cleaned now in the evening? No -- no apologies; simply a "too bad". Also, there's no hair-dryer in the entire building, something that is increasingly available even in guesthouses. Rooms and service basic -- they did come round to giving me bottles of water and an extra pillow after twice asking. TV had many channels, but the English-language programmes were mostly dubbed in Thai. Places like this should not be allowed to survive.

• Stayed May 2009
2 Thank Frank M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Union City California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2009

I booked this hotel through "Wired Destinations". Their on-line site map directed me to the Thipurai City Hotel....which is where I thought I was supposed to be staying! Wrong! They sent me 10km across town to the Thipurai Beach Hotel. Once there, they said they had no rooms available for me although I had a prepaid voucher. They sent me to a 3rd Thipurai Beach Hotel which is 2 doors down. There they told me to come back after 1pm and I could get a room, but they never would answer my question about whether they had my reservation from Wired Destinations or not? I came back after 2pm & finally they gave me a room on the 4th floor in an older building (annex?) with no elevator service, and I have a heart condition! The room had a faulty A/C unit, the TV was inoperable, and there was no hot water available at the sink for shaving! The second day I asked to be moved to a room on a lower floor because of my bad heart, and they told me they had no other rooms available, but if I paid them an additional 1,000baht (500baht per night) they could find me a room in the 2nd (Newer) Thipurai Hotel which had an elevator. This was classic bait & switch tactics, plus I was at their mercy because of my bad heart! The staff at this establishment is totally unfriendly and some of the most unhappy people I have ever encountered in the Land of Smiles! Also, if you didn't get down to the breakfast buffet before 9am, then it was mightly slim pickings! Nothing on the buffet ever seemed to get replenished, and I like to sleep as late as possible while I am on holiday. The only good thing I can say about this place is that it is roughly a 5 to 10 minute walk from the beach. So if you are not into unfriendly/unhappy/unresponsive hotel staff, poorly maintained rooms, slim pickens at the breakfast buffet, & no elevator service, then I suggest you learn from my horrible experience and avoid this place like the plague! I would have left the 1st day, but since my reservation was prepaid, I knew I would have little chance of receiving a refund....Wired Destinations even refused to refund the additional 1,000baht I was charged just to have a room on a lower floor! They said I had originally booked the "annex" which I guess is the same thing as the prison like room I received on the 4th floor! Also,keep in mind that I have waited almost 2 months to cool down before I could even write a review of this hotel without all the colorful expletives it so deserves!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JoeMamaKnowsBest

Travellers are raving about these Hua Hin hotels

Riverside, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2007

We arrived by bus into Hua Hin with the address of another guesthouse in hand. A little old man approached us offering taxi service, but when I showed him the address of the guesthouse we were trying to get to, he insisted, "No beach. No beach guesthouse." I took it to mean the guesthouse was not on the beach. He offered to take us to a guesthouse he knew about. He even had a flyer with their information. My husband and I were skeptical. We figured it was a clever way of getting business for what was perhaps an overlypriced sleazy little hotel.

Boy, were we wrong!! We arrived at the Thipurai Hotel. It looked like the best hotel on the little street. Expecting a ridiculous quote, we were surprised when we were quoted 1300 Baht and that included breakfast (approx. $40USD). Still, we asked to see the room.

The room was spacious, simple and clean, with a nice clean bathroom and each room had its own little balcony with a table and chairs. Although it did not have a view (our view was the building next door) we were thrilled with the room. We booked it right away.

The hotel is located just five minutes from the beach (two minutes if you fast walk!) and in a small street full of restaurants and internet cafe's, and of course the massage parlors. The location was excellent! And the staff...oh, they were absolutely wonderful! Although their English was minimum, they tried their best to answer all of our questions. Oh, and lets not forget the breakfast! It had a vegetables, fruit, eggs (omelette and scrambled), rice, ham, sausage, juices, the most delicious potatoes, coffee, tea...so much for the free breakfast! They also have their own massage parlor which is right across the street (very small street so only about ten steps away!)

I HIGHLY recommend this guesthouse. My husband and I were delighted. When we plan another trip to Hua Hin, we will be staying at the Thipurai Guesthouse, hands down!!! The only thing we want to advise people planning to stay here: If you need transportation back to the Bangkok airport from Hua Hin, the Thipurai charges 2800 Baht (approx. $90 USD) for the Taxi. If you go down to the OK Restaurant and Hotel just a few feet down from the Thipurai, you can get the same taxi for 1700 Baht ($56 USD). We inquired with different places about transportation, as well as with individual taxi drivers, and the OK Restaurant and Hotel had the best rate.

Good luck to all of you travelling to Hua Hin. We had a lot of fun!
(We apologize for lack of pictures but I accidentally deleted all my pictures from our digital camera. I am sooo bummed! )

• Liked — Delicious free breakfast and GREAT location! And WONDERFUL staff!!!
  • Disliked — The pool is down the street, not attached to the building.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank charms2269