“Lovely location”

River Kwai Bridge Resort
Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Kanchanaburi
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here on the first night of our tour of northern Thailand, so the hotel was chosen for us. Having read previous reviews we were somewhat sceptical, even more so when we saw 5 Russian coaches in the car park. Our room, overlooking the river was a long walk from reception so the porters earned their tip. Our room in the River Wing, was fairly basic but adequate for one night. The balcony looked good but we were reluctant to sit out there for fear of being bitten by mosquitoes. In our limited daylight time available, we wandered round the vast hotel site – it was lovely, with large pool. I failed miserably in my attempts to get a smile from the other visitors, who either looked away or looked thro’ me.
We avoided the buffet scenario but sitting in a raised area & ordered a la carte – good meal & helpful waiters. The entertainment, probably by the wives & children of the staff, was very amateurish & most folks moved away. I guess they were doing their best.
For our early breakfast, we had a freshly fried egg but bacon was cool & Danish pastries insipid.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This small private hotel is wonderful. Friendly, helpful staff - they will call a taxi or tuk-tuk for you. At Reception there is a small shop for items, drinks & beers plus an ice-cream freezer. Open air dining & restaurant wonderful to view the bridge over the River Kwai. Plenty of food at breakfast time and enjoyable dining at night to watch the sun go down. Very emotional and tranquil as we stayed here whilst researching our Father who was a Prisoner of War during 1942 - 1945 on the Burma Thailand Railway system.
Great pool to relax in after a hot day out and about. Massage rooms. Walking distance to the local Markets and Bridge over the River Kwai.
We also caught a 'long boat' at their small jetty/pier and went up the river for 2 hours enjoyable experience.
My room was a Standard garden room - plenty or room, clean & comfortable. You're only in the room to sleep. This hotel is across the road from the POW camp Thamakham - there is only a fenced property to observe.

Room Tip: The side by side Standard Garden rooms have a small balcony and they share a common wall. So if you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Usual good mix of nationalities, decent front desk service,nice pool with masseuses. Breakfast decent enough but real point of it is the restaurant being situated riverside; watching life go by and listening to nature was great. Rooms adequate but gaps around doors mean close the door-curtains or spray room before going out in evening. Got charged for a broken glass on check - out, only 30bht so did not quibble but bit weird as no breakages to our knowledge, perhaps the maid broke one...Very easy to get tuktuks down the road (30bht pp) to wealth of restaurants including Natalie's fantastic "Nuts", see elsewhere on TA.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The resort is located only abot 300-400 metrs from the Kwai bridge in a green area and at the river bank. You can see the bridge while relaxing or sitting at the dining room. The river bank view and the green resort is a worth while accomodation. The rooms are quite average but who cares when enjoying the nature and the good location. We enjoed the resort good food as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I was staying in Kanchanaburi to discover the history of my Father's time as a POW working on the Death Railway in 1942/43.
My program organiser arranged for me to stay at the River Kwai Resort as it was directly opposite the site of what was the main camp of POW's in 1942-45 and a place where my father was held for some time.
It was amazing to walk the same ground from the camp to the river's edge knowing the history of the area.
The Hotel has friendly and attentive staff, at Reception and in the main dining room. Breakfast and Dinner meals were of a high standard and the dining areas were clean and well appointed.
My room was fine with a simple, but perfectly functional bathroom and good TV set up.
The Pool is a welcome place to relax at the end of the day.

I would recommend the River Kwai Resort as it is close to the Bridge and tourist markets adjacent.

Room Tip: I was close to the pool - very handy. Rooms 418+
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Great quiet hotel with a fantastic location .. staff just so friendly and smiling .. Rooms very good and clean. The reception at the hotel wonderfully, friendly and helpful.

Breakfast is the best I've had in Thailand. The breakfast's staff friendly and in a really good mood.

Pancakes, fresh eggs, fried eggs, scramble eggs, all the bacon you can eat and 100 other things ..
I am sure that I will use this hotel next time too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights at the resort. The front desk staff were very helpful and the villa was clean and comfortable. The lighting in the bathroom was not at all bright enough though.
The breakfast buffet was very basic - but OK. The breakfast buffet staff were terrible. They not acknowledge guests, didn't smile and actually ate off the buffet in front of the guests! I had never seen this anywhere before! Guests were smoking in the restaurant even though there were 'No smoking' signs there.
We had massages at the resort. Mine was the worst ever unfortunately - really bad. I have had several massages in Thailand and this lady had absolutely no idea.
While the resort is not in the middle of town it is only a 10 to 15 minute walk from town and in the other direction - only a 10 minute walk from the River Kwai Bridge.
This is a lovely resort in a great area. The breakfast staff were a joke though and the management should enforce the 'No smoking' regulations.

Room Tip: The villas were lovely.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple