“Basic accomodation with fair amount of facilities”

Pung-Waan Resort & Spa Kwai Yai
Ranked #35 of 81 Hotels in Kanchanaburi
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Rooms were basic. Double bed was in fact two single beds put against eachother. Resort area was taken care of. Nice swimming pool. The location is situated in an area where there is nothing else to do, you have to get your diner there. Quality of food was ok.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BeroX

Reviewed 7 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Pungwaan resort and spa with a friend who was in Thailand for work. Glad I wasn't paying for it or I would have asked for my money back!

The hotel is old, shabby and smelly. All of the rooms smell of damp. The first night my friend was bitten all over by bed bugs. We changed rooms.

The food was largely disappointing. The wifi worked for one day out of the four I was there. There was no point going to the front desk to ask how to fix it because none of the staff really spoke any English. As if they know the wifi is rubbish you have to pay to use the computers. I had to do this a couple of times over the course of my stay. It cost me 30 baht each time for just half an hour. I've been in nicer, cheaper places that give you free use of computers.

All of the (8) TV channels are in Thai apart from two. Breakfast is average. Lots of choice but lacking. No hair dryer in our room.

The spa was overpriced. At least 100 baht (and in some cases, two three and four) more expensive than places in other parts of Thailand. It's also really far from other parts of Kanchanaburi. It will cost you 200 baht each way in and out of town by taxi. There's no free shuttle service which you would expect.

Overall this place seems designed to rinse you of money whilst providing you with a decidedly poor service. If you want a classy, up market resort.....don't stay here!

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank Thisbatteredsuitcase
Reviewed 8 May 2012

If you want peace, tranquility, and a beautiful setting, this is the place for you! The resort is on the bank of the River Kwai in a natural, jungle-like setting. The pool was beautiful & spacious with plenty of loungers. Our room was very clean & large with a balcony overlooking the fountains. The bathroom was a bit small, but clean. It had a shower, but no bath tub. There was an in-room safe, robe & slippers, simple TV, etc. but we hardly spent anytime in the room. There aren't restaurants nearby, but we found the hotel food to be delicious and very economical. Each breakfast had a large buffet with lots of choices. There was live music in the lounge at night. The best part was the spa......for $10 (US) I had my first Thai massage! It was amazing & I left completely relaxed! I also enjoyed that I could enjoy a massage next to my friends separated by a curtain, so I didn't feel awkward being alone. We rented a "taxi" and toured Arawan Nat'l Park one day and rode elephants nearby another. Great stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank splindenberg
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We only stayed one night as part of a three day tour. We had stayed the night before at this resorts sister resort near Hellfire Pass. This was a vast improvement. The resort grounds are beautiful and in the middle is a lake with fountains. The restaurant overlooks the lake and pool area. Our room was spacious and very clean and the bathroom was fine. Only one person at a time so just time your showers and toilet visit appropriately. Breakfast was a decent variety of Thai and Western foods and provided as a buffet so there was plenty. It is quite a way out of Kanchanaburi so you will need either a Tuk Tuk or Taxi to get anywhere. If you are happy to just relax at the resort then it has all you need.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank juann22
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My husand & I stayed at this resort for 6 nights. It was recommended to us by a Thai family friend who's family live in Kanchanaburi. The resort is a 3 hour drive by car from Bangkok Airport and we arrived very late at night but we were greeted by a porter who showed us to our room.

We had a river view suite which was very large and comfortable with ensuite and a second toilet. The furniture is old and well used but still very clean. Two balconies, not really a river view but stll very nice. The A/C was very noisy.

This resort is not for people who want a night life on their doorstep, it is very quiet, the River Kwai bridge is a 10 minute drive and Kanchanaburi quite a bit further on by Tuk Tuk, taxi or motorbike. The resort seems to be used mainly by tour parties

Food is average and I think depends on how many are staying on that particular day. Not many of the staff can speak english but they are very friendly and we always managed to have our requests understood. We didn't use the spa facilities but it looked very nice, very clean pool and very pleasant grounds and riverside.

Kanchanaburi has lots of great restuarants, open markets and shops. For tours of the area we would recommend Tois Tours (toistours.com)

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet H
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Special nice River hotel . We stayd only one night. It is nice place with huge rooms and good atmosfeer...
You feel the juangel and its sounds.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raful19
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Love the location. Love the main building, and the breakfast, and the dinner. I was with a group of 20 staying here last week and "some" of the group had good rooms, but the majority of us had dumpy rooms - i.e. 1950ish. Our particular shower was nasty! We called the front desk and four (count them, FOUR) people came to our room to look at the shower. Not one of the four people had any cleaning supplies. They splashed water on the shower walls, looked puzzled, and raised their eyebrows in an attempt to say "OK?". We told them it was ok to leave and they left. It wasn't worth the trouble trying to get our message across to them. The people meant well, but they didn't have a clue what Western standards are like. Thankfully, we were only there for two nights.

I didn't go take a look, but my 28 year old daughter said the pool was EXCELLENT.

If you have another choice in the area, go for it and bypass Pung Waan Resort.

• Stayed: February 2011