Lowest prices for your stay
US$27
Free cancellation until 03/10/21
US$27
Free cancellation until 01/10/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Agoda.com
US$22
Free cancellation until 02/10/21
Hotels.comUS$27
PricelineUS$30
TravelocityUS$27
All reviews guest house air con the river clean rooms nice pool nice stay guesthouse baht backpackers laundry transport
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

We arrived and recieved average service, as a backpacking couple we don't mind a bit of a croud...... But it seemed like big groups of ditzy young tourists....... So we didn't hang round on a night to do much socializing......

Pool was murky so didn't use it, shame as we picked this guest house for that reason.......

Room was basic for 650 baht a night, and better can definately be found for cheaper.......

Location, pool and young 'adventurers' make this hotel popular!

Close to the bridge and close to the happenings...... But there is better out there for the genuine backpacker

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Wow what a disapointment....
As usual we decided to follow tripadvisor's ratings and look for a place in one of their recommended guest houses. We arrived to the pong phen and booked a room for 600 Baht. The first problem was the Air Conditioning - it barely worked and was practically useless. We adressed the hostel staff and they said that it is because that day it was specially hot and that there was too much sun. Isn't that exactly why you put air conditioning in the rooms?
No compensation or solution of any sort was offered, exept moving into a more expensive room, or a cheaper one, but this time without air conditioning at all.
All of the time we recieved a very bad treatment from the staff. They had a big attitude problem - Nothing like the usual Thai hospitality that we recieved in so many other places.
After a lot of thinking we decided that we didn't have the energy to look for another place and we decided to stay.
On the next day we have booked a day trip so we had to wake uo early and leave the guest house. I wanted to take a shower but the water was freezing. We didn't have time to complain so we just passed that and left. At the evening when we came back we asked about the shower and the lady there showed us that there is a secret button on the water heater that we were supposed to press. Not the big button with the sticker thay they added, no no no a small button on the back side of the heater. Didn't she think to tell us that when she gave us the room keys???
Later we gave our laundry to the hostel hoping that it will be done, exactly as in all the other places we've visited in Thailand. On the next day we picked up our laundry and we were amazed to see that the white shirts had pink stains on them....
To make a long story short - pick another guest house.

Room tip: Don't bother paying for an air conditioner. It's not gonna work anyway.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank OritStK
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Traveling through Thailand on a motorbike and when arriving in KanchanaBuri I went straight to Pong Phen guest house due to the tripadvisor reviews, but not having booked.
I pulled up at the Guest house where I was met by the manageress named Kan. Before I could get off my bike or take my helmet off she said "you want room, we have room for you, poolside 500 baht". What could I say?
From there I never looked back.

The staff are very helpful and considering I had my own motorbike (ie they miss out on tour commissions), they still gave me all the help and advice they could.
The location of this guesthouse is on an arm of the river the party boats don't come too. So I never heard one.
It's also located in the thick of the action but at the end of a quiet soi, with the closest bar just around the corner from the soi.
PongPhen’s bar/restaurant closes at about (10pm), but then there are a ton to choose from around the corner. Also the early closing keeps it quiet for guests; this is a really good thing.
I stayed in a pool front room which was just perfect for me. It was very clean and made up daily. A/C, hot water, tv, soft queen size bed, towels and great private veranda with table and seats out side my room. There is no fridge in my room (I think other rooms do have) which was no problem for me as free ice 24/7 is available at the guesthouse for drinks. The pool is a very good size and very inviting on hot days or warm evenings.
Food from the restaurant is of a high quality and a huge variety at very good prices, available from 7am for breakfast and then throughout the day.

All tours for the surrounding attractions are available here a great prices and transport to almost anywhere is available.

This is a tropical, relaxing place to chill out with a few quiet drinks and chat and meet other like minded travelers to share experiences and ideas. I have made many friends both guests and staff here at Pong Phen.

The staff here have all been so fantastic and they are now friends for life. They love to have a laugh and when they do their big smiles are infectious. A BIG thankyou to you all and special thanks to Miss Nui. (Noi)
I came for two nights and stayed for seven because of the people here.
I will be back.
Johnny-ona-Bike

(I find it difficult to understand some people’s reviews saying the staff are not friendly. The review below saying worst ever is so untrue. This is a Guest House and in my travels I’ve seen some people who need to start acting like GUESTs instead of thinking they have a right to be in this beautiful country.)

Room tip: All rooms are good, just choose to suit your needs or budget then enjoy.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Johnny-ona-Bike
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Pong Phen Guesthouse was the worst place we stayed in Thailand, without question, mainly because of the service we received. From the moment we arrived, one woman at the front desk (which closes at night, so forget it if you need anything past 10pm) sneered at us when we asked about the room and payment; in fact, she said, "I knew who you people were right when you walked in." Huh????

Because of this woman's attitude, the rest of the staff has learned to be cold and unfriendly. Avoid at all costs -- there must be better places to stay in Kanchanaburi.

Date of stay: August 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank GurlsTrip12
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Pong Phen has been our weekend getaway for the past four years and we have never stayed or wanted to stay at any other guesthouse. Gun, Noi, and the other ladies are so friendly and helpful. The rooms are cheap and clean. The pool is great on a hot day and the food and drinks are exceptional! Pong Phen is within walking distance of all the good bars and restaurants and if you can convince them, the girls will show you a fun night on the Kanch strip! I will miss this place the most when the time to leave Thailand arrives. A must stay for a great holiday in one of the most beautiful places in Thailand!

Date of stay: September 2012