“North East Thailand”

Wishing Tree Resort
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Khon Kaen
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have just spent 6 nights at the Wishing Tree Resort, what an excellent place to relax. It is about 20mins drive away from the city of Khon Kaen. The hotel arranged transport into the city for us whenever we wanted it and not to expensive. All the staff were lovely and very helpful, the gardener even went to the local farmer and got him to bring his water buffalo on to the site for us to photograph.
They switched the free wifi off at night which was a little annoying when trying to chat with family back home, we were in a junior suite the only down side was you could hear the chap in the next room use the bathroom quite clearly (he had very bad wind) but all in all this is a lovely place to stay if you wish to relax.
We ate in the restaurant quite a few times...the food and the service was excellent and not as expensive as I thought it would be.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank khlm62

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I've just spent 2 nights at this property. It's quite a long way from the main town, so only go here if you want to stay here 24/7 and relax. Arrival handled efficiently, but the front desk manager frowned at almost every request...a very un-Thai attitude. Everyone else...yes everyone else on the property was a pleasant and friendly and helpful as could be. She showed us to our room, but did not go over any of the property or room amenities - just dumped us off and left quickly. Missed opportunity to "sell" us on the restaurant and spa...and generally create a welcoming atmosphere Room was nicely appointed, good TV, sitting area, nice bathroom, all in perfect working condition and very clean.. After a long journey we spent our first day relaxing and taking in the spa treatments. Had a good massage...90 minutes for about $35. Spa and exercise facility immaculate. Since the place is 20 minutes from town, we ate all 3 meals on site. For the first day it appeared that we were the ONLY guests in the facility...and we were for sure the only guests in the dining room. There was some sort of meeting going on with about 30 young women in what looked to be a training session, but we didn't see them take any meals in the dining room so we had it to ourselves. Food was really good traditional Thai...just the right amount of spicy...and well priced. Property grounds are perfectly manicured, beautiful pool and our room had a private yard leading to a private lake (although there were rooms on the other side facing a beautiful river). One question...since the property was virtually empty, why not take the opportunity to upgrade our room? If I were the proprietor with only one paying guest, I would...??? Late the first night I had difficulty getting on the internet with the free wifi password provided at check-in. I called the desk and they said, oh, the Internet was down and we need to give you a new password...which they did immediately. When we asked the duty manager for a late checkout (2:30) she said no, that they had a big group arriving and it was not possible to allow us to stay 2 hours after checkout time. It's now 2:00 pm as I sit in the lobby and write this review...no sign of any big group yet. When I checked out at 12:00 and asked if we could wait to check out and put our lunch meal on the bill....guess what the answer was "No, you can pay cash in the restaurant". Again...was that an inconvenience for her? Interesting how one sour employee can set the tone and stick in your mind although all others were so accommodating and friendly. Would l come back? Nope.

Room Tip: Ask for river view or room on lake.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
10  Thank Pat B
Reviewed 18 August 2012

If you are looking for a place to stay in downtown Khon Kaen then this is not for you. Rather, it is a 48-room boutique property 18 kms from the town center situated on a quiet bend of a river surrounded by paddy fields - beautifully peaceful and quiet and this suited us perfectly.

For the price which we paid, the rooms are excellent - large, well-appointed, spotlessly clean and big comfortable beds. Although we booked two regular rooms, we were upgraded to 1 regular and 1 Junior Suite with an adjoining door. The only difference I could see between the two types of rooms was that the Junior Suite had a bath, whereas the regular room had just the walk-in shower. The rooms had a well-stocked refrigerator, 2 free bottles of water, room safe, bath robes and slippers, coffee machine, flat screen TV with cable, and free wifi which worked very well.

The breakfast (included in the room rate) was substantial: Asian and Western buffet with an egg station too. The fitness room had a good selection of equipment and was not busy when we were there. The pool looked very inviting too but we did not use it.

All the staff we came across around the resort were very helpful and friendly. I believe that transport into town can be arranged easily upon request. If we return to that part of the country we will definitely book here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank 1North
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed for only one night in the Wishing Tree Resort but were very happy to do so.
From the outside , this resort may not look like your dream resort, but the rooms are very nice and well appointed. the bathroom was big enough and had a separate bathtub and shower (junior suite).
There's also a very nice pool area with a couple of deckchairs.
We had drinks and some small bites in the evening which were both delicious.
Breakfast is an American style buffet with an egg station, fruits, toast and danish pastry.
The staff was very warm and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank citygirlloves2travel
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I booked this hotel because I was looking for something special, far away from the city noise while visiting my mother who lives in Khon Kaen. When I arrived I was a bit disappointed that the Junior Suite room booked did not quite match my expectation. Located on the ground floor, and the air conditioning machines of the other rooms at the same building were placed exactly at the outer wall of this room, resulting in a constant noise. I was already ready for bed, when I decided to contact the reception to ask for a change of room. The staff was very helpful, and within an hour they have upgraded me to villa room 413 at no extra cost.

I enjoyed also the gym room. It's very clean, and well equipped, and my intention was high to start again with sport activity, after more than three years of abstinence. Starting the day with yoga in the morning was great. Breakfast was served to the villa with nice terrace facing the river.

Free WI-FI connection throughout the resort, so I could stay in touch with the outer world, iPhone at the villa room.

Once I had lunch at the restaurant, and ordered a Seafood Salad with glassnoodles, non-spicy. It was too spicy for Westener's taste. I appreciated that they offered cucumber, tomato and water to cool down my burning mouth.

I would like to thank you everyone from the gardener, room attendant to the manager for making this an unforgettable nice experience, and hope to see you soon again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Choiya
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The hotel is about a 15min drive outside Khon Kaen and is in the real Thai countryside,just a sleepy village and rice fields.We wanted a get away for a few days so decided to give it a "go",initially we booked a junior villa,when we arrived the staff were very helpful and showed why Thailand is called the land of 1000 smiles.The room was large, clean and comfortable,we tried the restaurant the first night and was surprised at the quality and presentation of the food,they had western and Thai and very reasonably priced.Our first night was over at 5am when some guy decided to watch his tv full volume for 2hrs.At breakfast which was very comprehensive the waiter asked if we slept well,I replied no and explained the problem,immediately he called the manager who apologised and upgraded us to a villa.This was fantastic with its own small garden.The staff were fantastic over everything,nothing was a problem and it was really nice that all staff smiled and spoke whenever we saw them.The pool was small but again spotless.I recommend this hotel very highly if you are looking for a romantic or quiet getaway.

Room Tip: Go for the villa,its worth the extra
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John W
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is actually a review of the restaurant of the "Wishing Tree Resort". My wife and I diner there last night and it is really great. Good food and friendly staff. They have both indoor & outdoor seating (along the Mae Nam Chi) and serving Thai, Isaan and Italian food.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple