“Comfortable business hotel in convenient location”

Charoen Thani Khon Kaen
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Khon Kaen
Seoul, South Korea
“Comfortable business hotel in convenient location”
Reviewed 14 December 2011

The arrival was not inspiring as the hotel has a Russian communist-era design aesthetic, complete with a supremely ugly abandoned tower-block looming over the carpark. However once inside the lobby things improved. Yes it is a little dated, but not shabby. With nice artwork around. We arrived very early in the morning and the staff were very welcoming (and they did speak good english-to my surprise) and checked us in with no hassle. We were on the 11th floor and our room had clearly been recently renovated, so was fresh and new. The room was the standard business hotel size (not too small), with comfortable beds, flat screen tv, fridge, tea&coffee making facilities, adequate lighting, a strange safe (where you have to get the lock from reception) and standard (new) bathroom.
There was a pool area with lounges to sit on (only a few). It was a bit cold for us to swim as it was in the shade, but it was quite an ok pool. They also had a good looking gym, but I didn't get to use it. The hotel also has a few different restaurants and coffee shops as well as a dubious-looking nightclub out the back and ditto for the karaoke lounge in the basement (most of the large hotels in Khon Kaen appear to have these entertainments).
There was a nice large bright breakfast room. The choices catered to Asian and Western tastes, so was good. They have their own bakery so there is a good choice of baked goods.

The location is very handy as the hotel is next door to a shopping centre, there is a 7/11 just out the front and many dining options are a short walk away (seemed to be lots of good food places in this town) and there are a couple of other large hotels just next door also.
Conveniently the hotel has a shuttle bus to take you to the airport (for 70B pp) .
Overall a good value, comfortable hotel. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a renovated room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Globerwalker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Thai first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I was completely comfortable in this hotel, but your mileage may vary. The room was pretty narrow and also pretty well worn. On the upside, there are plenty of eating and drinking possibilities in around the hotel, the place is well located near the air con bus station and shopping, and the staff are always polite and helpful. You could probably do nearly as well in a less expensive place, but I felt OK here and would consider returning if circumstances permitted.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank carrache
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Stayed here for 2 weeks, and the location of the hotel is excellent, as it is right in the city centre, and close to all amenities. The hotel offers an excellent menu and is not overpriced.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony160650
Perth
Reviewed 14 October 2011

A hotel that is definitely showing its age. The pool area was definitely uninviting with no chairs and no aesthetically appealing features. There was a lack of English speakers in the staff so mistakes were made, and requests were often lost in translation

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Sadly i cannot find many compliments for this hotel. I have travelled extensively in Thailand, (4 times to Khon Kaen) and this was my worst hotel experience in the Thailand.
Check in was slow as they had my reservation wrong even after i called the day before to confirm the reservation. I booked a corner room for 3 people but were given a room with only sleeping facilities for 2 people. They attempted to charge for an extra bed but that issue was eventually resolved. Sadly my room safe did not work and they could not fix it as parts were missing!
The corner room we had ( on 12th floor ) was big and comfortable with a good view of some of the area. The hotel is very well located in central Khon Kaen, close to markets, shopping, some great street restaurants and Kosa shopping centre. It is walking distance to Central Plaza, the fairy house, nightclubs and bars.
Breakfast was included and there was a good selection but a lot more Thai food than Western. Service at the restaurant was good except for the assistant buffet manager speaking rudely to my educated friend and and also to my son two separate days. This service was extremely disappointing.
The pool was nice and with easy access so as not to leave water everywhere as you return to your room. We did not use the well appointed gymnasium but there were many people enjoying this facility.
I knew the hotel was old but the dusty smell did not detract or spoil our experience . On the upside there were renovations happening on higher levels so maybe the need for an update is proceeding. These renovations did not in anyway disturb our time at the hotel. The internet was not free ( 100 baht per person for 24hrs) my teenage kids found it quite unreliable. There is ample off street parking and security is great.
Finally, after our initial problem with check-in the reception staff were fantastic for the rest of our stay. Check out was easy and swift with the offer of transport to the airport ( for a fee :-) )
If you want central location this has it and its good value if you can get a discounted rate. I don’t like to complain about hotels a lot & maybe we were just unlucky on this occasion but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Spent 2.5 weeks here in June/July 2011, after numerous stays over recent years.

Overall the staff in the lobby/service/room service areas are great and look after you. Front desk staff tend to spin a yarn on arrival to try to upsell to a suite or just plain overcharge. As at July the basic price was 1200b for a double, 1400 if you want breakfast. Room quality varies substantially from floor to floor - if (as is common) you are placed in the worst room available on arrival. Argue and ask to be moved and you may be suprised with the outcome.

Rooms are getting a bit faded - smelly carpet, fittings, old TV etc, though a renovation is going on in higher floors at the time of writing. The popular "Zolid Disco" downstairs is gone, replaced by a kind of strip joint called "the club". Location is good but annoyingly they have closed off the short cut stairway through to the nearby Kosa Hotel.

Wifi internet is pricey but 30 day unlimited access cards are now available for 500b. Even so, many places in town provide this service free.

The breakfast buffett is not worth the extra money. Bland food, however this is about stardard in Khon Kaen hotels.

Overall the Charoen Thani is still good value with good hospitality and great staff but they need to completely renovate and cut out the rip off attitude displayed by the reception desk people.

Room Tip: Be persistent - this hotel often steers arrivals to the worst room available - ask to see a better r...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I stayed for two weeks in this hotel and it was adequate. The hotel is not expensive, so the value is good but it does not come without issues.

The bed and bathroom were clean and well maintained by the daily house keeping. The carpet needed to be replaced in the room I stayed in. There were tears/cuts in several locations of the carpet.

I suppose it was the design of the shower/tub that caused a lot of water to escape to the floor throughout the bathroom. There was always a lot of water on the bathroom floor after each shower. We applied towels along the corners to try and prevent the water from escaping, but the floor was always very wet and very slippery.

The walls were also in need of a fresh coat of paint. Several areas had splash stains that were very visible.

The room was very quiet and I was located on the 9th floor so there was not recognizable street noise.

The bed was the typical spring mattress that I find uncomfortable, but that seems to be the norm.

I found the house keeping staff very friendly; however, also annoying. When I had the "do not disturb" marked on the door, they would call the room to ask if they could come in. That seemed to defeat the purpose in my view.

There was a strange odor we could detect as soon as we exited the elevator on floor 9. It was not too strong, but we noticed it each time we returned to the hotel.

They offered internet service through a third party that I had to purchase. It would have been cheaper for me to buy a monthly pass to use, but the hotel conveniently never had a monthly pass for me to purchase. So I had to buy a daily pass each day for the two weeks I was there. The cost was about $3 USD a day.

I ordered a hot coffee from their lobby bar and it was served at room temperature.

The location is fantastic. Adequate parking, convenient to many attractions including two malls. Surrounded by plenty of restaurants and shopping. There is the ever popular 7-Eleven right there at the end of the hotel driveway. Also, a nice little restaurant called the Lighthouse that is next to the driveway of hotel and we ate there many times. I found that as a nice plus for the hotel.

The staff were always friendly and helpful. I do not speak Thai and had little problems communicating with them in English.

The air conditioning was almost too good. When setting it to its highest temperature, in the morning when we would wake it, it was cold in the room. But if we turned the air conditioning off before sleep, it would become too hot.

I am returning to Khon Kaen next week and I will not be returning to Charoen Thani Princess. I am in search for a better hotel to stay in on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple