“It's alright”

Charoen Thani Khon Kaen
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Khon Kaen
Reviewed 23 January 2014

As written before, the hotel is old (20 years) and has a musty smell from the elevators to the hallways and inside the rooms. However, we chose it over the Pullman simply to avoid the possibility of being blasted by loud disco music. I'll take old over not being able to sleep any day.

Goofed the booking for a Corner King room on Sawadee dot com, so after a near impasse where we were about to leave and take a chance at the Pullman, the desk manager upgraded us to a Jr. Suite on 15th floor, for 100 Baht more - total 2,200/night inclusive of tax and breakfast. Good deal IMO, and I always prefer having a separate bed room and sitting room. Only thing I found odd was an in-room safe wasn't provided.

My Mrs. is sensitive to dust and rooms that aren't clean Me, not so much, but honestly, we spent the first 15 minutes in the room opening the windows and front door to suck out the weird musty odor. We bought a can of air freshener later and sprayed into the air conditioning suction vents in living room and bedroom. That helped a lot, I would recommend doing so. We looked at 3 different rooms and they all had the same funky odor, including the hallways when you exit the elevator.

Otherwise, the room itself was clean, bed and linens were comfortable, nice bathroom with large walk in shower and separate tub. I didn't have any problems with hot water at night or early the next morning.

We had dinner in the Chinese restaurant and the staff were courteous and attentive. Mrs. had the 399 Baht Dimsum buffet and she really enjoyed it. I had the the Hong Kong style filet mignon and while beef can be a let down in Thailand, this was very tender and delicious. I also had a small portion of duck, and hot/sour soup, both very nice.

I missed breakfast as I was delayed at a morning meeting but Mrs. went and said it wasn't very good at all. Oh well.

For the sake of variety, I would try the Pullman next time but for the price we paid for the Jr. Suite, I would certainly stay at the CT again.

Room Tip: If you don't want carpet, we viewed a room on 11th floor with wood laminate flooring. Oddly eno...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Charoen Thani Khon Kaen

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and I spend many week-ends in Khon Kaen and we moved to this hotel from the Pullman because of the night-time noise from the disco and nearby bars. Rooms are gradually being modernised and the staff are friendly and efficient, but for a hotel of this size you would expect more staff to be proficient in English. Buffet breakfasts have a wide choice of food on display which is both tasty and hot with freshly cooked eggs. Good but small swimming pool and average fitness centre. The hotel is within walking district of the major shopping mall, Central Plaza. Only complaint is that on occasional mornings the bathroom water is not hot. When fully refurbished I'll give it one more star.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the room as refurbishment started at 18th floor and works downwards...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Location is very convenient and you can walk to nearby hotels ie Kosa, pullman, etc. service is good and staffs are friendly. Room is a bit old. Restaurant is ok however, food choice has basic requirements with some of local favorite.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Pord
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I have stayed in several hotels in Khon Kaen. My stay at this hotel for 6 nights was very good. Clean, big room with a safe and toiletries provided. Efficient room cleaning in the morning, which I like. Good wireless internet. Wonderful breakfast with dedicated 'egg chef.' Some parts of it are a bit dated, but it is 20 years old and still functions very well. I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor. The cleaning schedule was good, and the timing of the cleaning was in the mo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank acousticoz
Reviewed 24 June 2013

ok central location
but just an old smelly carpet hotel !
with old bathrooms
even breakfast was terrible
cheap but for 1000 Bath moor you can stay in the first class Pullman hotel , so not hesitated !!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nico V
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Other big hotels in area was fully booked, so tried this as back up.
Was not happy when arriving.
very happy when we left (good stay).

Perfect location.
Staff very friendly.
Nice atmosphere.
Lots of choices within the hotel.
Good value for money.

My wife loved the fruit basket.
My wife loved the big bath room.

Room Tip: Avoid room near elevators and housekeeping staff rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Not my first stay here nor will it be my last. Great big rooms, good bathroom with excellent water pressure, huge pool, great breakfast, fantastic staff, brilliant location,....no more to say except exceptional value!

Room Tip: I like high floors, top floors are smoke free
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family