“Stayed for 5 days..”

Ranked #160 of 182 Hotels in Krabi Town
Newtownards, United Kingdom
“Stayed for 5 days..”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We booked Nantra de deluxe for 5 nights after flying into Krabi from Bangkok - it looked lovely in the photos and we couldn't get over the cheap price!! Being from UK we just assumed it was cheap because it was Thailand and everything would be ok!

The hotel is 30 minutes drive into the middle of nowhere with nothing but forest and shanty houses along the drive - only accessible by car or taxi and is completely remote !!
There is a mosque next to it which woke us up every morning from the loud humming and chanting coming from it (with respect it, made us feel uneasy and disturbed our sleep).

The restaurant - if you order chicken you will be served beef etc - also both of us got the runs (sorry but its worth noting) - your nearest alternate restaurant is a half hour drive away...

the food at the breakfast buffet had flies all over it and when we asked them if they had anything to cover the food they just looked at us as if to say "they are only flies just ignore them!" eww

The beach is extremely quiet (which was nice) but it did have a lot of litter and was dark sand - cannot swim in water either.
- Beach has nice distant views of phi phi island :) BEAUTIFUL sunsets...

I could go on for hours but ill leave it at that.

I do feel this would be a reasonable hotel for a couple to spend 1 night just to get "away from it all" - but don't eat in the restaurant!

Room Tip: don't take the room next to the restaurant as every morning they start chopping the food at 5am...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Craig-norn-iron
Robert F, General Manager at The Nantra De Deluxe, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Craig,

I have read your review of your stay at the hotel in November and I apologize about some of the issues you brought up. Since I have joined the hotel in December we have got rid of our breakfast buffet and now offer a much improved ala carte menu for breakfast. We have upgraded and renovated our rooms and restaurant. Our beach is now cleaned weekly in front of our resort and we are striving to improve our guest experience.
The mosque is not audible in the guest rooms or anywhere near the beach and pool areas.

Thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

This place looks good on the web but in reality it's far from good in fact in my opinion it is quite bad. The rooms are good but are let down by gaps in the closed warped wooden doors frames allowing insects to enter at will through the huge gaps.Nearly everything else continues with this terrible theme like the rusty pool ladder(I booked the pool villa). Many light bulbs/fixtures are broken and I find this unacceptable. A previous review mentions cats,well guess what they are still here and there are horrible scavenging flea bags that won't let you eat in peace,they are always hanging around the restaurant/kitchen which clearly indicates that they are encouraged.i would have thought that the manager would have got rid of them. Breakfast is disastrous as is most other dishes, I even think the Thai food is below standard and expensive.The pickle/sauce caddy had ants everywhere in and around the sugar pot, this is just plain disgusting and I'm shocked that staff did not clean it before bringing it out. As there is nothing around and I have no transport I have no choice but to eat at the restaurant here. The lady at the front desk has an attitude problem and is very unhelpful,the rest of the staff are friendly enough. There are still no phone lines here,I thought there might be as the manager Robert Falls in a previous response to a review said they were being installed. Calling for room service or calling the front deck is just not an option at all.the beach is quiet but the quality of sand in not so good,there are many nicer more beautiful beaches in and around Krabi.There is only one plus point to this place and that is the peace and quiet other than that it is a truly horrible experience and I will always check reviews before I book .

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank 777bambam
Robert F, General Manager at The Nantra De Deluxe, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Bambam,

I have read your review and I have to say many of your points and insight is spot on and the feedback you have provided us is appreciated.
As we have been trying in the short time I have been here to fix our room defects and bring up the standard of the resort.
The gap you mentioned in the sliding window door and the pool ladder are obvious things we need to fix for our guests who stay in a private pool suite, I know you expected more and I apologize we did not meet the expectations. We still have work to do.
When I arrived here we had serious problem with some cats and we were able to get rid of some humanely and find them homes, however we have a couple of juveniles who have appeared and we must humanely make sure they have a different home. I can understand how you feel, we do have some guests who do like them, feed them and take pictures, however I can see that you want to enjoy your breakfast without being bothered by them and we will refocus on this issue.
I would to contact you directly to see if there is anything I can do to make this up to you.

Travellers are raving about these Krabi Town hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I want to make this clear for everyone that will use this hotel in the future.My girlfriend and I spent nine days in Nantra and we found that the staff is very welcoming and always ready to help from renting a scooter,car to arranging a massage in your room at your convenience,etc. So some good points for the reception staff,but the restaurant at the hotel is not that good and breakfast is a bit of a mess with long waiting time to be served , but we found a restaurant to the right of the hotel five minute walk that has good food with opening hours from ten am to ten pm and as well the hot water comes and goes so shower can be a little issue :) .
I recommend the hotel if you want a quiet time with your loved ones ,the rooms are very large, clean and they have air conditioning the pool is a good size and the ocean is only waking distance. As well every wednesday, friday and monday they do free tours for the guests.
So if you want a party time this is not for you,if you want to relax and enjoy you can book this hotel. As for tips try to rent a moped and learn your way to Krabi town and local beaches ,visit the night weekend street markets, tiger cave, chicken island with the long boat,etc .
I hope you find my review useful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Daniel,

We are pleased to have had you and your girlfriend at our resort and you enjoyed yourselves.

Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we knew we had made a mistake. The resort is dark, isolated and has an eerie feeling. We weren't the only ones who had made a mistake, upon arriving we were told they had overbooked the "resort" and did not have a room for us. This was after we had called to confirm the booking that morning, and a 60 minute taxi from Ao Nang. Instead we were sent to a resort down the beach which was also part of the Nantra group- Coco Beach. Before leaving Nantra, we had a chance to look at the resort and have a complimentary meal before being shipped to another hotel (they later tried to charge us for this meal).
Coco Beach resort was identical to Nantra- creepy vibe and all. The shower did not work in our room and there was little hot water, no phone or safety deposit box. The room was also shared with bugs and large cockroaches.
The breakfast was very poor, the kitchen had no fresh coffee and the only juice was tomato juice.
Would preferred to have camped in a tent in the beach- especially considering the price this hotel was charging. Total scam- poor management and the lowest point of our trip to beautiful Thailand.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MaggieHK123
Dear Maggie,

I have read your review and I'm sorry about your experience and I regret that your very first review on trip advisor turns out to be a negative one.

I respectfully disagree that our resort is dark and depressing in the appearance to you some people have a different opinion on our resort in terms of design and style.

As I looked at the other points you made we obviously need to improve on, thank you for mentioning them.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was there in Krabi from 2nd Dec till 5th Dec and I stayed at Nantra De Deluxe - Deluxe Villa. If we talk about the room then it was a perfect room specially when you are on a honeymoon. The hotel is about 50mins drive from the main town Ao-Nang so if you are looking to stay in a hustle bustled area then this is not the right choice but if you want to enjoy nature, peace and solitude then there cant be anything better than this hotel. So being in solitude is a pro as well as a con for this hotel.

It also has its own private beach and scenery and weather in December was highly enjoyable. The hotel staff barely knows English so conversing with them could be a hard task for a non Thai speaking person but the staff is really helpful and they try to help as much as they can.

Room is having a cable connection but very few channels options and thats a con. There is no telephone in the room or in the hotel as they go by paradise theme but the entire hotel is wi-fi. Only a few staffers carry mobiles so if you need a mobile number you better buy it from bangkok airport as there is no 7-11 shop or any other mart near by the hotel hence you wont be able to buy anything.

Restaurant is also good but most of the options you find there is thai dishes but the preparation is good.

All in all I would rate the hotel 4 out of 5 for its theme and its a must go place for solitude, peace and nature loving people.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert F, Manager at The Nantra De Deluxe, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
We want to thank you for your kind words for our resort and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are now working with our staff to improve their communications skills in English to better provide for our guests this is a challenge that we are focusing on.

Currently we are in the process of installing phone lines for our rooms and we will let guests use our mobile phones at the front desk to make local calls and also assist guests with their activities.

We hope to welcome you back to our resort in the future.

Best Regards,

Robert Falls

General manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I'll keep it simple.. Don't do it!!.. Unless you feel like you have done something wrong and would like to punish yourself with terrible food, numbskull management, diseased cats fighting in the kitchen and ridiculous isolation, be my guest..
Read other reviews carefully and go with your gut.. Not your skinny wallet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Locky S
Dear Locky,

I have read your comments on your stay at our hotel and I would like to thank you for taking the time to make your very first comments on trip advisor, as a hotelier we take these comments very seriously and by reading your review I see we didn't meet your expectations.

We are currently working on upgrading the service and facilities at the hotel and will continue to strive to meet our guests expectations.

Best regards,

Robert Falls

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Plus: if you like solitude, then go to this place
Friendly welcoming by staff

Minus:
- cockroaches in our room
- big nice looking bath but no hot water in our bathroom.
- about 50min ride from krabi town in the middle of nowhere
- no free shuttle service as mentioned on the website, only on monday
- deserted brown sand beach full of garbage and crap
- restaurant service was a total mess and abt 75% of menu was unavailable ("only beef today sir, sorry")
- no wi fi in the rooms, only in the lobby
- exactly one dvd available for our entertainment...
- generally poorly maintained site.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family