“A complete joke, don't waste your money.”
Review of Fossil Shell Beach

Fossil Shell Beach
Ranked #64 of 104 things to do in Krabi Town
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Having studied geology at school, I am fascinated by all the superb limestone karst scenery around Krabi and Ao Nang so I was looking forward to seeing Fossil Shell Beach. In the car park, there is a board of photographs showing the layers of rock strata, close ups of fossilised gastropods together with a helpful description in English. I happily paid my 200 Baht to enter but when I reached the beach, it was a question of "is that it?" Not only is the bit of fossil beach only about 100 meters long, it was roped off and visitors were not allowed to take a closer look of where the fossils might be so in the end, I didn't see one fossil in all of the five minutes it take to look at this patch of beach. It's a total rip off, don't waste your money.

4  Thank SimonOH
There are newer reviews for Fossil Shell Beach

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This beach was something that showed up on every taxi stand sign and tour place we passed. We figured there'd be more to it, but it was one of the least inspiring beaches we visited on this trip.

We didn't have anything planned for the day, so we decided to hire a tuktuk to bring us over to this attraction. It is set up like a tremendous tourist trap, with dozens of vendors in the huge parking lot at this beach.

The day we were there, it was drizzling off and on, and there were no attendants manning the booths to charge admission. Maybe just all of slow season?

We wouldn't have minded paying the small entrance fee, but glad we didn't need to.

The archaeological science behind the plateaus of fossilized shells is somewhat interesting, but there really isn't much to see at this spot. There may have been more around the bend at one point, but it looks like the hillside eroded and the path down was blocked.

The main beach had extremely slippery sloping rock tables you were allowed to walk on. If you walked gingerly, you could stay on your feet. The scenery is pretty okay around there, but I'm not sure it's worth taking a trip all the way over to this particular uninspiring stretch of coast, unless you are an archaeology buff. And not the popular dinosaur-bone-digging-upper or historical-relic-chasing-&-nazi-fighting kinds, but one who just likes old seashells.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We paid 800 baht for this abysmal trip. Lots of junk shops and not much of a beach. Go else where, anywhere!! Toilets were so bad I waited til I left!

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

It would cost you 200 baht to get into this place which can be in and out in a heartbeat.

U can't go anywhere near enough to look at the fossils so it looks like dull slabs of concrete.

Avoid.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Hired a moped whilst in Ao Nang and just whizzed about here and theresaw a sign for Fossil Beach and thought I would give it a go. From what I could see of it I thought it did not look that spectacular and decided against the entrance fee.
Had a read up in guide book and felt that it would not have been my cup of tea but if you like that kind of thing Fossils etc it may be for you.
The park area was nice enough with a tourest information hut and places to get something to eat or drink. Also free toilet facilities.
I wouldn't rush back but good for a break when you are saddle sore.