“Do not go in low season”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Phi Phi Islands

Ranked #9 of 98 things to do in Krabi Town
Ringwood East, Victoria, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Do not go in low season”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We went on a full day tour to Phi Phi island and a few other islands today! We were told when booking that company will not go if too rough and it may be cancelled on day. We were ok with this. Even thou the price was reduced due to low season, it was a terrible experience. We went with our 9yr old and I took my mother who is 74yrs as well. The tour group starts by saying that safety is most important!!! Well I think they should have cancelled as the ride out was horrendous. It was so rough and scary. The boat was over crowded, at least 40 people piled in and you could not see out or any view, just listen to the motor and smells from the petrol fumes from the motors. Poor people were so sick and crying due to how rough it was. For elderly people it was difficult for them to get on and off as the step ups and downs were big, almost needed a smaller step up. They suggest strongly you hire flippers for 100B and we did not even use them!! I did not leave boat until we reached Phi Phi for lunch. Lunch was below average, but I expected that. I felt very unsafe in the speed boat with the waves smashing up against the boat,the boat airbourne over some waves and all I wanted was to get off. I believe in high season the waters are calm and clear, but the number of boats would be out of control. I counted 15 boats today in low season at the last stop Khai Noi, with at least 40 people on all. Khai Noi you have to pay to sit on beach chair, and sellers trying to sell drinks and anything else. It was good to get off boat but I was so worried about what we still had to face to get back to Phuket!!! Overall not worth the money or stress and putting your safety at risk in the low season as sea is way too rough and dangerous. The other issue is how do you select a good tour, they all offer the same thing??? I would not recommend this to anyone.

Visited July 2014

• Vietnamese first
Bengaluru, India
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very greedy, racist un professional tour company.. never take it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had a terribly bad experience with the Andavaree.com speedboat/touring service .
We booked for the 1 day tour of phi-phi island in a speed boat.

We purchased the ticket for this agency via MakeMyTrip along with other Indian groups.
With all the excitement of seeing the best attraction of Phi-Phi we all assembled in their Warf.

And then came a tour guide who addressed the enthusiastic group . He instructed on the do's and dont's with some wry jokes which basically assumes stupidity in people. Not an informative, witty or respectful person who you will want as a tour Guide but a don who wants to plunder money and treats you with the perceived notion on the size of your wallet .

(Non whites are thought to have less money and so treated with a go-away kind of attitude including making faces, denying services etc).

He talked about the perils of sharp rocks in the sea and urged all to rent Swimming-Fins-Flippers.
(The truth is if you do not do snorkeling or know how to it is utter waste and they kept mum about it. What was more irritating was after urging to rent this out to even old couples, when it comes to using it, they discouraged people from doing snorkeling telling its a big risk )

The group was divided into 2 - All whites in one and non-whites (chinese, indians, afros and others) into other. And we set on our journey.

A guy who introduced himself as cappittan came and continues his dry humor .
Our team had a family from New-Zealand/Australia who had paid tips to this guy and guess what.

1. The Nice seat with the view was given to him
2. Other than the general courtesy announcements, he was acting as a tour guide to only this family and not at all encouraging any questions from others or even bothering about others.
3. The open area in the front was given to Whites instead of being first come-first serve and others were blocked from entering there.

4.There was zero assistance on doing the snorkeling for less experienced non-white people and even were actively dissuaded in name of security. But this is a cover up, as the similar whits are aided , given tips and encouraged. And the Swimming-Fins-Flippers scam too. It was literal cheating of people who do not know about Swimming-Fins-Flippers.

The group treat the whole thing as only money making mechanism . Which would have been tolerable if the service is moderate. But this trip looked like you payed the money to get insulted.

Visited May 2014
7 Thank priyamukhi
Cairo, Egypt
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Heavenly and Beyond”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I fall inlove with this island. It is crowded with tourists but it is one of the best destinations to visit. Mostly people visit is as part of day trips and don't spend enough time on the island. The island is way better if you stay for awhile. I recommend atleast two days. Get a tour to the nearby islands specially and enjoy quality time in on of the hotels. The hotels are not that great but the food and beaches are amazing. Don't forget to arrange the round trip ferry in advanced because the ferry ticket office is always crowded. Try to explore the island on foot!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank YasserAhmad
Malmo, Sweden
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Had high hopes......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had longed to go to Phi Phi for many years. Finally went, will never go back. Smells of trash, toilets and is a very crowded island. I had heard that after the tsunami, there had been better zoning and restrictions on encroachment ect. But that was sadly very very wrong. It is clear that many people don't give a damn and just build whatever, where ever. It was also very over priced and not very friendly. I love Thailand, but this island just does not appeal in any way to me. Only plus was the scenery on the boat ride (which was extremely overpriced!)

Visited September 2013
2 Thank mpdk78
Brisbane, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Islands”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I loved seeing the beautiful Islands, however they were really busy and we didn't get to stay long at each destination. Maya Beach was lovely and the viewpoint there was amazing. My favourite part of the day was snorkelling.

Visited November 2013