“Food poisoning - Mass tourism of the worst kind!”

Koh Panyi (Floating Muslim Village)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$104.84*
and up
Full-Day James Bond Island Canoeing and Snorkeling Trip by Speedboat from Phuket
Bradford UK
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Food poisoning - Mass tourism of the worst kind!”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

As other reviewers have mentioned you are forced to stop at a restaurant at this village if you are doing the James Bond Island Tour. The restaurant tries to cater for the huge amount of tourists who visit every day. They pack you in, sitting you around big tables. It is a set menu, the staff quickly serve you. They want you in and out as fast as possible. They clean tables in the most disgusting, unsociable, unhygienic manner I have ever seen. One waiter will drag around a big dustbin where they pour or scrap all the left over food. The bin was half full and looked disgusting. Customers should never see that. Another large bin appears where they throw in the dirty plates and table cloths. Just thinking about it now makes me nauseous.

I ate two prawns, one from each seafood dish - they both tasted bad. That's all it took. I was ill for the rest of my holiday and it took over a month until my body was normal again. A friend from work visit two weeks later, he also became ill due to the prawns.

If you end up here, you have been warned. Bring your own food and eat outside. Seriously - it ruined the end of my holiday.

Visited August 2013

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“My kind of madness”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Like most people I ended up here after the trip to James Bond Island.
Yes it is basic and possibly not somewhere you would spend a great deal of time but I think it is fabulous to say yes I went to that Mad Place ( perhaps its just the zanny me but I like somewhere different).
It is a kaleidascopic traffic jam of brightly coloured long tailed boats mooring up to drop the hundreds of tourists for lunch and more.
We sat in a lovely cool restuarant, very welcome after the full heat of the day and yes ok the food is just brought out but I found it perfectly good. I am no fish lover so avoided that but there was a great sweet and sour chicken and some chicken skewers and plenty of rice. Pretty amazing really for the amount of people that are catered for and giving the location of the village. I certainly had no adverse reactions to the food anytime afterwards.
There is ample shopping opportunity if you wish to take it or you can just have a stroll around I came across the maddest football pitch I have ever seen again built on a floating pontoon I asked "Y" our tour guide and he explained the kids wanted to create a football team much to everyones amusemnet due to the location but they came up with the pontoon idea. ( a bit like the Jamacian bob sleigh team) So Pan Yee FC was created. Just my kind of madness.
Give it a go if only to say Yep I have been there and seen that.
Maybe the food is a little mass produced but it is a stop off on a spectacular tour.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Sammiett
Singapore, Singapore
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“Koh Pan Yi = Muslim Village”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

that village is part of a day trip to see James Bond Island and not worth.
packs of tourist sheep eating their lunch here and wonder around.
75% of the village is full with shops. What a tourist trap.
You feel like a walking wallet. all is overpriced.
Avoid and wait in the restaurant till the tour goes on.
Cultural feeling? NO!

Visited March 2013
3 Thank coralkong502
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“wouldn't have a second visit”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

i've been there once last time i went to Phuket,with 5 friends of mine. I guess pearl was what they mostly sell there. None of us bothered to have a look on it. I guess interest does the matter. Because we are not so into pearl. for me it was kinda time wasting there

Visited March 2012
1 Thank TeeN_4
San Diego, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Culture”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

This is a good place to learn about a different culture so if you are not into that, there is no reason to stop. it is cool to see this place on stilts but you can see from the boat. The restaurant at the very end has great food but there isn't much to see. We had a tour around the whole village, coolest part is the soccer field that was built by the kids and you can take a peak into their schools. It will really make you evaluate your own life and what we take for granted.

I recommend a stop here for adults interested in learning the culture of Thailand but kids will be bored.

Visited January 2013