“Astounding existence”

Koh Panyi (Floating Muslim Village)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$104.93*
and up
Full-Day James Bond Island Canoeing and Snorkeling Trip by Speedboat from Phuket
Bloemfontein, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Astounding existence”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

It is astounding to see a whole village built in the sea , it is even more amazing to see their facilities and how they operate sooo normally. BUT beware - it is VERY expensive and the inhabitants or sales ladies are not always too friendly .

Visited August 2013

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Nothing good to say”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived for lunch as part of a day tour its a slummy area were kids were forced to constantly hassel us to buy their goods buy some man I was so disgusted buy it all. they have market stalls selling the same junk they sell everywhere in phuket wish I stayed in the boat..

Visited April 2014
littlewick green
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Horror show.”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We sailed in to see the fishing village only to discover it was full of garbage, poverty, slums, over priced junk, children being forced to beg for money, and lady boys feeding monkeys with baby bottles, some monkeys in diapers. The worst and upsetting site was a majestic full grown very unhappy wild eagle tied at to a stick and on show for touching and photos. The sign read 20 baht for photo to feed him fish. He just looked up to what little sky he could see. Such cruelty.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank littlewickgreenmoose
Seattle, Washington, United States
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“The Children on Koh Panyee were Delightful”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I visited the floating Muslim village that was started by Maylasian fishermen when we were out on the bay. We weren't forced to eat here, we actually didn't eat here but we did visit the school. As a teacher I love viewing schools around the world. This was the first floating school I've seen. The kindergarteners were napping on their mats shoes off and lined up outside the door. The teacher was also barefoot. The science room was filled with things from the sea. The playground was a little sad, a cement ball field in the center between the buildings. The mosque is a work in progress. The houses were very simple. I really would have liked to spend more time here. A mother with her two little girls was selling post cards and coin purses. The girls were too precious and the coin purses were only 50 Baht which is $1.55 US. I wish I had know I was coming here before I left home. I would have loved to leave them some school supplies which are appreciated in almost any school.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Kathy G
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Koh Panyee”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stopped by this village on a sea kayaking/ James bond Island tour. Very interesting village built completely on stilts. A very unique opportunity to see how a small group of people live on the fringe in the middle of the ocean. As a soccer fan and as seen as a checkpoint on the amazing race, the floating soccer field was of particular interest to us. Friendly people, try and find some children in the villages school to play soccer with.

Visited July 2013