The Bird Cage
US$121
Hotels.com
The Bliss South Beach Paton(Patong)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$65
Agoda.com
Novotel Phuket Resort(Patong)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$129
Patong Paragon Resort & Spa(Patong)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$130
Marriott Hotels
US$84
US$81
The Little Moon Residence(Patong)(Great Value!)
US$14
US$12
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsno liftbangla roadcheap priceguesthousebirdcagefloorphukettoiletriesthai
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Booked this hostel on a wim before our transfer from bangkok to Phuket, when we arrived our driver had not heard of it as it is apparently fairly new.

Don't be put off by the name, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the birdcage. The hotel staff are incredibly friendly always offering a welcoming smile. The room was small but very clean with a large queensized bed, air con, fridge, and free wifi all for 800 baht.

When we researched the location it stated approximately a 15-20 minute walk from bangles road (main club/bar strip) and the beach.... This is NOT true. It only took us between 5-10 minutes to walk from the birdcage to the strip and beach. But still located far enough that you could not hear any noise at all from the bars at night.

All in all a very pleasant stay in a fairly unpleasant island.... Phuket.... The armpit of Thailand!!

If I had to go back to Phuket..... I would 100% go back to this hostel!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rebecca N
Reviewed 10 November 2012

First time I visited, i found it worth the money I paid. However, this November 2012, though i see it well renovated and wifi provisioned in the room, I was quite disappointed to see not even a bottled water and an ashtray in the room. Toilet tissue was seen nowhere other than a tissue role kept along with 2 empty glasses in the bedroom. 4 floors, no lift. So take care in choosing your room in case you are not able to climb up the stairs. No coffee facility in the room, minibar was empty. I moved to a different hotel priced at same rates but worth it. From my room on the 3rd floor, I could get a nice mountain view. Overall, looked like very simple amenities and facilities were missing - no drinking water in room, mini bar was empty, no bed switch etc.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The Bird Cage is one of those interesting propositions. It's location is sandwiched between the two main roads around Patong, which is a one way affair and forms a circuit around town. Anyway, if you're in Patong you're most likely more interested in shopping and partying rather than white sandy beaches. I happened by during the "low" tourist season and got a rather good deal off the internet. I got the superior room, which faces the street.

It's located in an alley along with several other budget class hotels. Checking in is a no frills affair and the receptionist is rather friendly. She called me out by name as I was alighting from the taxi. Great service. That or the hotel is a bit empty at the moment. As expected for a hotel of this class, the rooms are best described as "adequate". I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a hot water flask but do note that Thailand's water isn't regarded as potable; bottled water is quite cheap. No carpeting but that is to be expected.

Do note that there are no lifts. Invalids may need to take this into consideration.

Complains I really have none except for one minor gripe. For reasons unknown, there seems to be a 101 things that goes bump in the night. Not so much as the walls are thin and you can listen to the going ons in the adjoining rooms, but what I mean is that there's the odd water flushes, squeek from the wiring, and so on occurring quite regularly that at times, border on intrusive. Guests with nervous dispositions may find themselves waking up at night often to bumps and bops.

What I liked most about this hotel is that it's located right next to where all the action is. The mall, the party streets (family and non-family friendly) and convenience shops are just round the corner. Try, please try the street food.

I'm the sort that spends more time out of the hotel room than in, so The Bird Cage suits me just fine.

Room Tip: Budget class hotel. If you're the sort that only needs a room to sleep and wash, this is an option.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Stayed here number of times for one or two nights. If you stay somewhere else in Phuket and decided to stay in Patong before you fly home, this is the right place. Cheap, comfortable, spotless bathroom, friendly staff and very strategic location.

Massage parlor and restaurant is very near. You can use tuk tuk to reach Bangla Road if you really really lazy to walk. The beach is 10 minutes leisurely walk. Just ask people the direction or follow those tourist who bring the towel with them.

I will definitely stay here whenever in Patong!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Very good accomadation,set back from the beach, 10 minutes walk and centrally located, stayed there the first week it openend and stayed for one week,the owner and her daughter were very polite and put on some food in the evening on new years eve. The room was excellant with a good veiw over the north end of the beach. Quite in the evenings when i stayed there so a good nights sleep was assured,bangla road is only 10-15 minutes walk away, will possibly stay there again if i go back to Phuket this December. yours truly . Guitar man .

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple