“Overwhelmed by that great hotel”

La Flora Resort Patong
Ranked #40 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Vienna, Austria
“Overwhelmed by that great hotel”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

In February 2010 we stayed (only) 1 night at that beautiful hotel. I would say that it was the best hotel I stayed at until now!
When we arrived at the hotel, they gave us flower-necklaces and a delicios coconut to drink out of it. They also asked us which kind of music we want to hear and which type of aroma we want in our room.
The room was big, very tastefully equipped and offered everything: TV, WIFI, DVD/CD-Player, a coffee-maker, a mini-bar, ...
The bathroom is also great with a walk-in-shower, hairdryer, and shower-accessoires.
The breakfast-buffet was amazing with a big variety of food (cereals, sushi, bread, cakes, ...)! The friendly waiter served coffee, tea and hot chocolate.
There were 2 swimming pools with very elegant divan beds. I really enjoyed swimming there.
We also got huge orange beach-towels that were very cosy.
I think that the central position of the hotel was great because it connected the beach and the hustle and bustle in phuket. I never felt disturbed by that.
So if you want a great and modern hotel to stay at you should definitely pic La Flora!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clauda T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This review is based on my third stay at La Flora.

I have had the privelage of staying in this stunning hotel on three occasions in the last 8 months and with each visit I can honestly say the management and staff are beyond reproach.

I am an Ex Airline Pilot hence I have stayed in over 1,000 hotels worldwide and La Flora is the best in every facet.

I stayed in a pool access room of which one walks out from your room and is confronted with a magnificent pool, what a view.

It gets better just walk 20 metres and you find yourself on the beach.

Room Service, The Current Of The Sea Restaurant, The Breakfast Buffet are outstanding both in the food and the outstanding service.

The location of this hotel is the best in Patong and the staff are an absolute delight, nothing is a problem for them and time and again they do anything to accommodate anything one needs.

It astonishes me that anyone would have any complaints when it comes to La Flora although I did notice while I was there some guests could never be pleased no matter where they stayed as some people have stupid expectations as noted on some recently added reviews here lately.

People if you want to stay at what is in my opinion a 10 star hotel look no further than La Flora, you will not regret it.

The only thing bad was the day I had to leave but I will again return soon.

Without doubt this is the best of the best, thank you to all the staff for making my stay full off wonderful memories.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are outstanding
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Fabian111
Brisbane
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My husband and I stayed in a loft pool villa on our recent trip to Phuket. We were very impressed with the location, it was right in the middle of the action, although our room was very quiet. The only noise we heard was some fireworks going off a couple of nights, although our room was positioned in the middle of the resort and surrounded by other rooms which may have helped with the quietness. The service was fantastic both at reception and during breakfast. I ordered the waffles for breakfast each day which were yum. We had drinks at the rooftop bar a couple of nights and the view of the sunset was amazing, highly recommend this.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy G
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Nice beach-front hotel! This is one of four hotels located right on patong beach. We were very satisfied with the overall experience. The hotel itself is located within few minutes walking to the heart of patong. Room was nice, modern and clean. Service was great. They greeted us with a cold towel and coconut upon arrival. Staffs were very friendly and helpful, they would help you find taxi, recommend restaurants as well as confirming your flights.

Don’t forget to visit the rooftop bar, you can sit back and relax while watching the sun set. The view was amazing around 6ish.

Would definitely stay in this hotel next time

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nayuthia
Estepona, Spain
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed for two weeks, and were unfortunately very disappointed with our stay. We had prepaid the stay through agoda.com, at a price that seemed steep for what we got. Deluxe pool access room (at more than $400/night) was small. We changed rooms a few times, out of the manager’s good intention, but obvious inability to understand the needs of people travelling with a baby. Instead of listening to us, he maintained that moving to a more expensive room would be an upgrade – even if just for a couple of days…

The design of the hotel is bad: Most of the rooms have no privacy – you look straight onto the rooms across. The villas have absolute privacy, but (apart from the very best ones) make you feel caged in, with high walls surrounding a small terrace and pool. The bathroom designs are unpractical, and the quality is very bad. Dampness and smell is a problem.

Breakfast buffet is average for Thailand. Very good service on the “egg station”, but getting coffee took too long, and the veggies on the buffet where dry, the bacon was chewy and the fruit salad full of little flies.

Staff are nice, but so are they everywhere in Thailand. The location ON the beach sounds attractive, but it means a lot of noise (music and fireworks). We will not return to this hotel on our Patong visit next year.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank N0rwegians_0n_travel
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We chose this hotel partly because of its high rating here on Tripadvisor. Their own website describes the establishment as "sparkling", "high-end", etc. We booked a pool access room at USD 400 per night. The first room we got was very small, and for sure there was pool access: Our toddler would fall right in to the pool, with no ladder or steps to get out again... The next day we were given another room which had a 80 cm wall up to the pool, and the room was bigger. Very well!

We are booked in for two weeks - have now spent six nights. We are travelling with our baby of 14 months, and for sure this hotel is not a family hotel.

The best thing is that is in ON the beach. The staff are very nice, but so are they in every other Patong hotel (we have stayed in five different hotels and rented an apartment here earlier years).

The worst thing is the nightly noise, from fireworks set off on the beach as late as five o'clock in the morning, plus the noise from the street (car stereos, promo of thaiboxing matches, etc.)

We also had a rat on our terrace, and the housekeepers never remember to leave us an extra set of towels for the baby. One evening we came back from dinner, the door to our room was left open, because housekeeping had forgotten to close it behind them. All these things have been reported to the staff and handled/apologized.

Lastly, the room is not exactly luxurious, the bathroom is smelly and poorly lit. At 400 USD per night I did expect a lot more. And even if I got a deal at 200 USD per night, I would much rather go to Burasari at the southern end of Patong Beach, comparable in ambience but with much nicer rooms - with privacy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Norwegians_on_travel
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2012

The last time I reviewed La Flora I summed it up as an "Exclusive Oasis in the Heart of Patong Beach". Well a lot has changed since then.

The oasis label is still appropriate despite some sleep quality problems due to the noise of fire crackers being randomly set off on the beach at around 3am - Chinese New Year or not - a matter referred to by another reviewer. This is a particular problem for La Flora with its absolute beachfront, albeit public - the only up market hotel with this amenity. In addition, the madhouse of Patong has got worse with no infrastructure improvements despite an endless stream of vehicles along the main streets in what has become a pedestrian unfriendly environment. It is now a very risky proposition just trying to cross the road. There is no obvious presence of a local police force. Patong has indeed descended into the sleazy tourist pit that I was once warned about and is now a haven for the hoi polloi.

As for La Flora, I think the overall quality of the resort has deteriorated somewhat compared to my previous stays. For example, I did not appreciate the overpriced and under strength cocktails, the now average food quality, the painfully slow internet, dimly lit bathroom, and the spacious but poorly furnished room. It is actually impossible to sit comfortably almost anywhere in the resort due to the hard edged furniture and either permanently reclined or bolt upright chairs. Mind you, on previous stays I was in a suite with a private pool, and those rooms are very private. However, most of the ordinary rooms are facing each other across a long narrow swimming pool and I was staying in such a room this time. Lack of privacy is one thing but looking at clothes drying draped over balconies is quite another.

Unfortunately, the more private room I requested (located on the 2nd level, north wing towards the beach - rooms numbered 236 thru 239) was not available even though I had made the booking months in advance. I was offered an "upgrade" to a pool access room which I declined because I consider these rooms on the ground floor to be less desirable, but I did manage to get an upstairs room close to the beach, even if only in the south wing.

To be fair, my stay at La Flora this time was during the peak season and the hotel was full and with many families with young children, and so the "oasis" label with its connotations of peace and tranquillity tends to be undermined somewhat.

In any case, the staff works hard to make your stay as pleasant as possible and I rate their service as mostly top notch. However, I don't think I will return to Patong any time soon.

Room Tip: The suites are best, otherwise rooms 236 thru 239 because they are on the 1st floor close to the bea...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple