“Overall fine but what a difference a room makes ....”
Review of Amata Patong

Amata Patong
Ranked #91 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Montreal, Canada
“Overall fine but what a difference a room makes ....”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Booked and prepaid (non-refundable) for three nights, with clear special requests such as high-floor with decent view, but was first given an uninspiring room with no view whatsoever and I did feel claustrophobic. Luckily, the TV in that room did not work and maintenance tried to fix but failed. I was then moved to a much nicer room, within the same building (the old building with no elevator) with a nice pool view and thus the title for this review. If you have a decent room then you should enjoy you stay in this "resort" as everything worked well in my 'new' room: TV (with ample cable channels, WIFI (free of charge) and good A/C. Room size, bathroom and bedding are definitely adequate. Buffet breakfast (if included) is plenty but standard and quite satisfying. Plus the hotel has two rather nice and big swimming pools and is only a short walk to the beach but crossing a very busy road and through busy roads. I would recommend this hotel but prepaying for the standard rooms (in old building) bares a risk!

Room Tip: Go for pool view (otherwise you might get no view at all).
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Madjid A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

stayed eleven nights april 2014 my wife and i.
very efficient front desk on check in and out.breakfast not 5 star but more than adequate. egg station cereal, bacon etc.we found the bed hard but that is a personal preference.
situated in patong at the end of a soi [ laneway] well lit and safe.better bthan being on main road to avoid the noise. hotel itself was very quiet. we were in the old building and the room was a good size with large balcony [no real view]. room was cleaned every day with fresh towels etc..
our one complaint would be no shade at pool area, there are fixtures for ubrellas but no umbrellas.
still as value for money we thought it good and would return.

Room Tip: we stayed in old section and cannot comment on new building.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kenpatSydney
Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

First up, I'd give this place 3.5 stars if I could, not 4 as its definitely better than 3, but not a 4.

I had a funny experience not long after I had just checked in here that although I decided I already liked the place, I observed a couple who were most definitely NOT liking the place and were instead having a row with reception over their laundry bill and getting nowhere. I guess that happens a lot with many places, so it occurred to me that if I was someone unfamiliar with the place, and reading reviews here, how do I get a feel whether its good or bad, because surely that couple will get on here and condemn the place, as they should if they feel they have been hard done by. So I guess, essentially its pot luck as to what your mileage will be.

I found the staff helpful, yet like most places, not that fluent in English, so if you do have a problem or a slightly out of the routine enquiry, you could be in trouble. I came here fresh off a very negative experience elsewhere, and so I asked if I could see the room I was about to book online BEFORE I made the booking (to avoid the mistake I had made at the other place). They were happy to show me the room I was interested in, and I stressed the point that I would be booking online that style of room they had shown me. So I went down the street and booked their deluxe room, one without a pool view, but with a bath, as that was my main requirement, and I didn't care to pay extra for the pool side view. When I arrived back at the hotel, they had my booking, and were offering something they considered to be an upgrade, but since it didn't have a bath, I declined their offer and pressed for the room I had booked online. Which was not a problem happily. What they did then was to give me a pool view version of my room which did constitute an upgrade to me as it had a view AND the bath. So the point I am labouring is I got the room I saw advertised on booking,com, (or better as it turned out). Sometimes, all you want is for the picture on line to be a fair and reasonable version of what you actually end up with (unlike the Front Hotel but that's another review).

The communal pool on the ground level is also a nice quiet spot, no silly doof doof music or poolside bar to ruin the peace. Its clean and not to busy. More brownie points there.

The deluxe room I had is just as the online pics represent but happily looks even better in real life. The room photos on booking.com don't actually do them justice (which is unusual in my experience). i.e. you get a nice bathroom and a nice balcony which aren't shown at all for the room I booked. This was in the wing containing the main reception. There are 2 other wings I cant speak for. I did not get up early enough to sample the breakfast, and they do not appear to do an evening restaurant meal, so I cant speak to that either.

But for A$51 a night for the Deluxe double with bath in March I think its one of the best values I've had in Patong. I don't do the luxury places, my budget is usually anywhere between A$30 and $90, so at $51 its waaaaaay better than the $30 joints, but to be fair, not in the same ballpark as the $86 junior suite I had at the Deevana a few days later.

In short, I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: not sure if the pool side option is worth the extra money IF your room is high up. My room was on th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank blisteringbarnacles
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Book a deluxe room with agoda. Stayed in this hotel for 6 nights.
Upon arrival we were informed that deluxe room is not pool view rooms, if we want pool view rooms have to upgrade to superior room with additional 1000 baht per night. Hence if you want a pool view from book a superior room.

Staff at the hotel were very nice and friendly however it becomes disturbing. As they will 'disturb' you like how the people on the streets asking you where are you from and all. However this is just 1 or 2 staff. The other staff were very nice. One night my friend and I decided to visit the Phuket town nightmarket, and ask the staff for some information. He was very friendly and helpful with our questions.

Fyi, these staffs are not the front desk staff. They are like bell boys?

Room was quiet dissapointing as from the pictures provided by the hotel it look classy and new. However, it is not like that actually. The wood in the room looks old. Toilet amenities provided was only cotton bud, shower cap, soap bars and shampoo. No toothbrush or toothpaste was provided. No bedroom slippers too.

Hotel location is very good. As its just a few minutes walk to Junceylong. Along the way there are stalls and street food to eat and buy. And its around 10 mins walk to patong beach. Across the road there's a family mart. Quite hidden though.

2 pools at the hotel. The roof top pool is the best! As it is always sunny. Another one is just beside the main entrance. I feel that the pool is really dirty as i can see a lot of floating objects when i'm in the pool. Staying there for a week, I dont see anybody to cleaning up the pool.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank aardnassacmi
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

We were very impressed with this hotel. Service was great, pool was really nice and big with a little bar area out there. There was lots near by and walking distance to the beach (Maybe 10 minutes) included breakfast which was a good buffet with omelet bar. Nothing else you could ask for. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank JCB842
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Can't really complain for cost, the room had smaller tv and large room. But had everything i would need. Not far from the malls and bangla road area.

Really dark reception and quite open entrances. Friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank BenjAsh
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

This place is built like a five star but has been down graded to three star service and facilities. Staff were friendly but seemed somewhat indifferent. They wern't very helpful when it came to specific requests. A lot of it was language difficulties.

• Stayed March 2014