“EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS THE REVIEWS MAKE IT OUT TO BE!!!!!!!”

Sam's Steaks and Grill
Ranked #1 of 568 Restaurants in Patong
Price range: US$21 - US$53
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Undeniably the number one Steakhouse in Patong, the readers of TripAdvisor have recently recognized us as the best fine dining experience in Phuket, and amongst the very best restaurants in Thailand! A classic steakhouse with elegant service, great wine selection and only the very best imported beef combining to make the perfect evening, every time! The dress code for 'smart casual' at all times. We prefer that men will wear long trousers and collared shirt, short or long sleeved, with shoes and that ladies are also suitably attired for dinner. However, we understand that we are in a hot, 'holiday' environment and we are happy to receive guests with more casual attire providing the 'smart casual' tone is maintained. Guests will not be allowed to dine if dressed in beach-wear or sports-wear. Thank you for kind consideration of our other diners.
Melbourne, Australia
“EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS THE REVIEWS MAKE IT OUT TO BE!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

What a fabulous restaurant! Absolutely loved it. Seriously could not have asked for somewhere better.

I am a huge steak snob, and this is BY FAR one of the best steaks that I have ever had IN MY LIFE! Definitely the best steak in Thailand.
The food was delicious, steak was cooked to perfection.

We only ordered the steaks, but were given an entree of bread rolls, and a seafood cake sort of thing. Our steak came with a beautiful sauce, (go the bernaise, it is delicious) & 2 sides (mashed potato was to die for). We were then treated to a cake pop kind of dessert, with a mint icecream ball smothered in delicious chocolate, served in a dish which was beautiful.

All this with a beer & a bottle of water, all for under $70AUD for both of us.

It was truly a delight to dine here, looking forward to coming back in the future.

layberry, Manager at Sam's Steaks and Grill, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear "Georgia S"

Thank you for your very kind and positive feedback. I am delighted that you have had such a wonderful experience and that we have fully lived up to our reputation! Your self-professed status as a "steak snob", as well as being a senior contributor on TripAdvisor, make your feedback all the more valuable and we really appreciate your comments on the quality of the food and the great value for money which I will most certainly share with the restaurant manager, Panom, and his team. We do hope you will have the chance to visit again soon!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Faro, Portugal
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Ate at Sam's one evening last week and all the good reviews on here are spot on. It is a beautiful restauarant, the staff were very attentive and food superb. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal which was certainly the best of our trip. The bill was a little high for Thailand but we were happy to pay for such a great dining experience. One tip - you need to book.

• Visited November 2013
layberry, Manager at Sam's Steaks and Grill, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear "Algarvedave"

Thank you for taking the time to share your "GREAT" review! I am really delighted that you have had such a great experience with us and that we have lived up to our excellent reputation! We do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Reading
“Very good and almost great!!”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had an absolutely lovely dinner at Sam's.

Nothing can be said about the food that hasn't already been said. The only issue we experienced all evening was the menu availability. We sat with the menus for about 5 minutes with mouthes watering at what to have. We decided to treat ourselves to the chateaubriand steak for 2. This was pushing the boat out at 1400baht but thought it well worth it. Unfortunately when we ordered said dish we were advised that this was not available.....my next choice was the Wellington that I had read so much about on TA but this was also unavailable.....we ended up having 2 x fillet steaks (the same cut as chateaubriand) totalling 50g less but costing 300baht more!!

This was frustrating but I decided not to make a fuss as it was a lovely evening. There were a couple of French guys who upt and left when they were told that the chateaubriand was not available but this felt a little extreme.

A restaurant of this quality really should advise guests of availability as they hand out the menu. Had they done this the review would be a 5 star....basics are important when you are paying so much!!

Visited December 2013
Dear "willitour"

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I am sorry that we have just missed that '5th star' for something that could have been so easily avoided. You are absolutely correct on both counts: 1) the availability (or lack thereof) of the chateaubriand should have been advised immediately on presenting the menu and 2) the two fillets should have been offered at the equivalent price.

This is really valuable feedback and great learning for the team and I can assure you that we have already discussed this together as an opportunity for further improvement to our already excellent standards.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to dine with us again and, if you are planning to do so, I would appreciate if you can contact me personally in advance in order that I can assist is making your reservation and ensuring that you have a truly memorable experience!

San Francisco
“Not impressive, too expensive”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is in the Holiday Inn, on the opposite side of the hotel from the beach.

I was on my own, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. At first I thought I would order a rib eye, but changed to something on the list of specials; a 300 gram "Aussie" T-bone steak, which I requested medium rare. With each order, the customer choose accompaniments from three lists; 1 side, 1 sauce and 1 starch. I chose mushrooms, béarnaise sauce and au gratin potatoes.

As mentioned in other reviews, there were some freebie extras that came along with the meal. The first was a bread basket with different breads;. rolls, a flat bread kind of like papadam, and a few others, along with butter. The rolls were warm and delicious. Good start.

Then came a palate cleanser, which was a small scoop of sorbet, mango I think, and a slice of pineapple. Both quite tasty.

My steak came along promptly, plated with the potatoes and mushrooms. The steak was thin, maybe 1 cm thick, and was cooked rare, not medium rare. I didn't send it back because a rare steak is fine with me. The meat had been grilled, and spiced with mostly black pepper. The steak tasted fine, but it wasn't particularly exciting, and had a bit more gristle than I would have liked. I wished I had ordered the rib eye. The potatoes were kind of like scalloped potatoes, sliced and formed into a circle and wrapped in bacon. I personally did not like the flavor, not sure what spice was used, seemed like maybe nutmeg, but it just didn't work for me, but also the potatoes were undercooked, too crunchy. The mushrooms were large and slightly rubbery, not much flavor.

The béarnaise sauce was the low point. It came in a separate container (thank goodness not atop the meat) and tasted nothing like any béarnaise I had ever had before... sweet and a bit congealed, with a thick texture. Béarnaise should be tart and slightly spicy, akin to hollandaise, and this yellow custard was something else. I even asked the people at the adjoining table to taste it, and they made a face and agreed that it was not good. (In fact, one of them, who had asked for béarnaise, changed his sauce request as a result of the tasting.)

So; good bread, unimpressive meat cut, boring mushrooms, bad sauce and undercooked potatoes. Not a good batting average so far. I called the waiter and asked for an alternative sauce, the blue cheese, which was an improvement.

I finished my meal, then ordered a creme brûlée dessert, which was plated wonderfully with whipped cream and a candied sugar lace, and tasted quite good. High marks for the dessert.

The final gimmick came in the form of a small chocolate-dipped mint ice cream lollipop that was delivered with a flourish in a dry-ice container, done in such a way as to cover my table with a fog, like a miniature Halloween set. It was cute, and amusing to all the other patrons, plus the ice cream tasted yummy.

I did not order coffee. The bill came to just under 2000 baht, or $60. This is extravagant in many places of the world, but for Phuket, it is really expensive, considering I didn't have a starter or alcohol. Don't misunderstand me, I knew what the price range was before I chose the place, but decided that I was okay with it, if indeed it lived up to the reviews. But it didn't.

I am a bit suspicious as to how this restaurant came to be ranked #1 out 34. I notice that many of the reviews of this place came from people who have only made the one review. It would be great if tripadvisor allow a filter to exclude reviews made by people who have made less than x reviews.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank chloes_dad_sf
Dear "chloes_dad_sf"

Thank you for having taken the time to share such detailed and truly constructive feedback and I am very pleased that you have maintained a good level of objectivity and have highlighted some of the high points of your meal as well as the various areas where can make definite improvements.

Your very positive feedback with regards the service from the staff, the breads, the sorbet, the creme brulee and the mint-choc-chip lollies is all very well received.

I am very sorry that the steak, the sides and the sauce have fallen far short of our normally very high standards and I will personally address all of your comments with the Chef, the Restaurant Manager and the team in order to make quick and positive change as required. You will be reassured to note that, in fact, the 300g T-Bone has already been taken off the menu (effective 4th December) and replaced by a higher grade 500g T-Bone for exactly the reasons you have mentioned. Your other concerns will be addressed accordingly.

I am disappointed that you believe, on the basis of your own single experience, that it would not be possible for us to otherwise deliver the high standards for which we are famous and I do make strong objection to the implication that we are in some way manipulating the responses. I understand your concern in this regard, and this is certainly something that you may wish to take further with TripAdvisor, but it is unfair to label us as duplicitous for having served one "average" steak. If you have further comment in this regard, or if there is anything else with which I can help, please feel free to contact me at any time on my email morgan@holidayinn-phuket.com

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sam's is a must”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I went there with a group of people and then went back with my husband and myself. The food was excellent and the steak is amazing. The service was impeccable and I highly recommend going to Sam's. It is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. If you are in Patong you have to go to Sams.

• Visited September 2013
layberry, Manager at Sam's Steaks and Grill, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear "Karen S"

Thank you for your very kind and positive feedback. It is especially great to note that we have exceeded your expectations not once, but twice, and I am delighted that you all have had such a wonderful experience at Sam's. We do hope you will have the opportunity to visit again soon!