“Thanks guys! Kelly's exceeded expectations!”
Review of Kelly's Residency

Kelly's Residency
Ranked #113 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Now that the post vacation blues are in full swing, I must recall my time at Kelly's Hotel. My friend (1st time in Thailand) and myself (2nd time) booked for 10 days based on the REAL reviews I read on Trip Advisor. So here is my contribution.
Tam arranged an airport pickup for us with all the info we needed "just in case". Everything went off without a hitch.
So we check in and Tam was there to tell us the deal with tuk-tuks, rooms etc so we were off and running,
The beds are very comfortable as advertised which is a pretty big deal if you've ever slept on a hard crappy one. The balconies were a nice touch to have a couple pops before "the Others" would show up at the poolside for our daily dose of shooting the breeze with the other guests and Dan, of course,
Coffee and breakfasts were great and plentiful and came with musings from the life and times of Dan himself. I am still laughing to myself when I think of it, My kinda guy for sure.
The family that stay on site and looked after our every need (including many, many runs to the beer cooler) were fantastic and even though there was a language barrier there, it didn't seem to matter. We couldn't dip our tie in the pool before one of the little ones would be off like a shot to get us a towel. We will miss them greatly as well.
I highly recommend this Hotel to those people with easy going personalities, who enjoy the company and kindness of others, I do not recommend this Hotel to those people who seem to enjoy there vacations nitpicking and whining about everything and anything that could puff up there own sense of self importance (as I have read in a couple of baseless, slanderish reviews I have read on trip advisor).
I would like to say to Kellys folks, keep up the good work, thanks for making our stay there unforgettable, and I hope to see you all again very soon.

Glen Deveaux (and Glenn Slade) from Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
I

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank lilgeee
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Residency, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Hi Glen & Glen.
Well-travelled easy going people that enjoy people are always a pleasure to have in Kelly’s, people like you love life and it shows, and you live it to the fullest, “and some”, that’s what life’s about a good balance, as you say who wants to listen to the wingers and moaners thankfully we don’t get many of those and I think the people that understand us and Kelly’s help keep them away, it’s the good people like yourselves that keep me doing the time and it’s the mixed bag of fun loving hotel guests that really get the best out of what’s on offer, that’s really what make Kelly’s amazing just people getting out and enjoying themselves, hope to see you again soon, you have make a hell of an effort to travel all the way from the ice and snow to have some fun in the sun, a feat in traveling.
Good luck and sincere thanks from Tan, Dan and the little ones.

There are newer reviews for Kelly's Residency

Reviewed 3 February 2012

My wife and I had stayed in Kelly's for 3 days in feb 2011. it was an amazing experience. it is a peaceful, quaint place run by a typical aussie Dan, who just charms you with his warm and friendly behavior..

the food, the room and everything about the hotel was simply fantastic..if you are looking for a nice, comfortable and affordable place, this hotel meets all the criteria.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnubhavTripathi
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Residency, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thanks for kind review were please you liked Kellys, first time I've been called charming.

Thanks Dan.

Reviewed 1 February 2012

Despite the fact that Dan was an Aussie, this whining Pommie Bast--d (Dan's words not mine !!) had a great stay at Kelly's with Dan, his wife and the family staff providing a great backdrop to a relaxing and friendly vacation. Aside from having to put up with daily abuse regarding my nationality from both Dan and the other bunch of Colonials and ex-convict Aussies staying there, this is one of the best places I have ever stayed. If you want 5 star service levels, pay 5 star prices for drink and laundry and generally be waited on hand and foot, this is probably not the place for you and maybe the Radissons and Hiltons are more suitable. However if you want to relax, be treated as a friend rather than a customer and lie back and chill out then Kelly's is the place to be.
The rooms were clean, large and very comfortable - the breakfasts were to die for and the company was second to none - Dan has worked a lot of years in the hotel industry and it certainly shows - he runs a really tight ship and behind all the abuse there lies a heart of gold !!
I'm planning on returning to Patong next year and Kelly's is top of the list - that's if he allows me back again !
Cheers to Dan, Tan and the crew for a fabulous time
Vince

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank VinceCharlton

Hi Vince thanks for the review, it was a great honor having a representative of the Crown one of Britain’s finest, come to Thailand to do a review on Kelly’s hotel to have the cream of Britain grace our humble abode and lecture us colonials on the greatness of the old country, I’m truly humbled, it’s always a pleasure dealing with those that get it and have fun, there is a way to have a great holiday in Phuket and that’s coming with the right attitude and you did exactly that, the critics of value, food, rooms, distance and personality’s just don’t get it and drive everyone nuts with their false perceptions of what they think they are entitled to,.
It’s beautiful warm and sunny here, are you teeth chattering cold back in the old cold country, I’m ready and waiting for you when you come back with more kind words of wisdom and tips on being proper. Thanks again a pleasure.
P.S. we have 1-000 star service here but you have to be amazing like you to get it.
Tan & Dan

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Loved every minute at kelly's hotel..the staff there are absolutely beautiful in every way.Rooms are always clean,food is great and the owners Dan and Tan were so helpful,giving advice,recommendations,organising tours,taxis,a night out,anything i needed they knew where and when it was available.During my 2 weeks at kellys hotel i was'nt dissapointed in any way at all..i highly recommend it to anybody !!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Jyezee

We’re Happy you enjoyed Kelly’s, those that get it have a good time with trips and tours and you got it, and that’s what Kelly’s is about, you used our free advice, there is a lot of time and work in gathering this knowledge and we’re happy to give it to those that come to Phuket and Kelly’s to enjoy what’s on offer, Phuket is a fun place but a mine field for all new comers looking for places to go, this knowledge you cannot find in 5 min or one week, we have it and costs us nothing to pass it on, and very few “if any” hotels give this service or have this amount of knowledge, Thais do things a lot different to anywhere else,
The big hotels have a very large impressive foyer and pool area, you pay a large room price get the here’s your key treatment, shown the room and that’s it, and that’s the difference in the service we give you, people love to talk about service and never say what it is just a loose word “service”, you got it, the service thing is our knowledge on where to go, things to do, taxi’s, places to see, invaluable to you the tourist.
Thanks for your kind review, Dan & Tan.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

After reading all the excellent reviews for Kelly's, we really were expecting an amazing experience upon our arrival. However, if I'm honest, it was nothing special.
The taxi pick-up charged us 600 baht, even though we'd read in guide books and heard from others that the standard fare from the airport to Patong is 400-500 baht. He was also an extremely careless driver (although everyone in Thailand drives irresponsibly, this driver was by far our worst experience of all. I genuinely feared for my life) and tried to overcharge us (he told us the fare was 800 baht, and only after much negotiation did he consent to accept 600). I cannot blame Kelly's for the driver's conduct, as they are not directly responsible, but I do believe that if the hotel insists that they organise taxis for guests in order to avoid 'taxi scams', they should at least ensure that the drivers are safe (by Thailand standards!) and honest.
The location of this hotel is definitely it's biggest downfall! It was such a distance from the main shopping/entertainment area that I would have felt unsafe walking in the area late at night, and from our ocean view room the beach was a tiny detail on the horizon! I would say that it takes AT LEAST 10 minutes to walk to the beginning of the shopping area (Banzaan market and surrounds), about 15 to Junceylon or Bangla Road, and no less than half an hour to the beach. Dan if you claim you can do it in 6, you must be sprinting!
The layout of the hotel was also a small dissapointment. From the pictures the pool and outdoor area looked large and inviting, but in reality the hotel is built on a very small piece of land and the swimming pool is extremely compact. It was neat and tidy, and no doubt a nice place, but not what we expected from the photographs: we found them slighly misleading.
Aside from the above mentioned issues, we were satisfied with the rooms at Kelly's, and the staff/family all were extremely helpful/polite/lovely. The children especially were very cute!
I have no intention to spoil the reputation of Kelly's, nor condone it as a no-stay. I'm just honestly stating that although Kelly's is a great place to stay, and does constitute good value for money, there are also many 'Guesthouses' right in the center of the beach, shopping and entertainment area that cost half as much and although they do not have swimming pools, the room quality is almost identical to Kelly's.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank matkakucing
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Dan, Tan and the rest of the staff at Kellys are amazing. They not only make you feel welcome, they make you feel part of their family. The taxi service was so helpful and takes all of the hassle out of arriving and departing Phuket. Dan is also extremely knowledgable and helpful with booking tours, suggestions on places to visit and general information about Phuket. They provide so many services for free and take absolutely NO kickbacks- something you just cannot find in other hotels. The rooms are fantastic value for money. Breakfast is very yummy and again a great price. On a more personal note- I would like to advise you to disregard many of the negative reviews some people give about this hotel. After speaking to Dan & Tan it is clear that you simply cannot please everyone and if you are looking for a hotel on the beach with servants to wait on you hand and foot- this is not the place for you.

Thanks again Dan, Tan & staff :)

Rachelle, Katie & Jess

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sugar_shell_28

Hi Rachelle, Katie & Jess.
Thank you very much for your review, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us, the difference between review writers amazes me, you were very smart and quick to get what it was all about, and that’s free sound information, and I get that information off you the public, you used it to the fullest did not waste any time, it’s impossible for any new comer to sort out tours for themselves far too many pitfalls, I do it for free it doesn’t get any better, we use all the good information from hundreds of people that have gone before you, you pick what trips you want and one phone call and your off having fun, it costs us nothing to help, to hear the words “we had a great day” when guests come back from a tour is reward enough for us, we pass that information on to the next person, and you write positive stuff for the person that reads your review, this is what review writing is about, unlike some that spend too much time being a hotel armchair critic never ever done the job and naively give out the wrong information, that’s not what a holiday is about.

Thanks again from Tan & Dan, and hope to see you again one day god willing..

I’m glad you mentioned the taxi’s, I have to mention that the taxi girl Koice and Ott and their crew are the best, they are only allowed half an hour free wait time at arrival area and pick up passengers, or face a parking fee, the taxi is always there to greet you or not far away if some mix up, that’s why we give all taxi phone No’s in emails, times don’t always match up, like late planes and the time getting through immigration, if your plane is late they come back for you, they have a very hard thankless job and do a lot of work for free and a lot of waiting around for nothing, even if its hours late they are there and that is amazing service, and if I don’t put it in here no one would know or care..

Unfortunately there is one very thankless lot of people that abuse this service and that’s the person that books a room and a taxi and fails to tell us they have cancelled, “no shows”, these no shows are getting worse, and this makes it very costly for taxis and us, I’m trying to figure out a way of making them pay for all the expenses they cost us without compromising the way we do business, we have our honour system and hold rooms, and the taxi turns up, but this selfish inconsiderate person destroys that honour system and costs the taxi and us a lot of time and money with their me me attitude, apart from the waiting around looking for them at airports, this can affect the pickup of others if they are late coming out of immigration the taxi thinks they have another no show, what a lot of people don’t understand is the hours the taxi’s put in for free, thankless work, and without them you will never ever arrive at Kelly’s, the rouge drivers will take you somewhere else and that could be very expensive for you, these robber taxis have no scruples, and if we never had a room or taxi waiting for these same people they raise hell and where the worst hotel and taxi service in the world yet its ok for them if they default, please if you’re not going to show up at least notify us a good week in advance.

Thanks again Rachelle, Katie & Jess you make it all worthwhile your true gems and the world needs more young intelligent people like you.
Dan & Tan.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

I stayed at Kelly's 11 nights and was very pleased with the experience.

The hotel is located in a relatively quiet part of Patong Beach (except for the busy traffic on the road), but it is anyway possible to reach any part of town on foot in about 10-15 minutes.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the manager Dan was always ready for a chat as well as giving good advice.

If I ever come back to Patong Beach, Kelly's will definitely be on top of my list of places to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo