“Beyond expectations”

Ranked #111 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Beyond expectations”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This was my first stop on a tour of Asia. The hotel owner himself (Dan) and wife Tan waited up to welcome me in despite my flight not landing until 2230. Very kind, they also organised a taxi driver who spoke english and was there waiting for me for the average price of a private taxi.

They both checked in with me each day (as i was alone) to ensure I was enjoying my trip and offer tips and advice. Such as the Banzaan Night market which has AMAZING thai food really cheap and a buzzing atmosphere. They also booked a tour for me to the James Bond Island which exceeded all my expectations for the price (half that advertised).

Finally on the last day they let me keep my room despite not departing until 3pm. Lounged by the pool having cleaned out my room, where the cleaner brings me my sunglasses I'd left in the room having fixed them for me! (I'd broken the arm off and lost the screw) but I'd put them in the bin so that was totally unexpected!

Ever want a midday chat, stop by Dan to hear about his latest book!

Overall, a lovely stay with much needed advice given from them both and a good hotel out of the madness but close enough you can join in!
PS the shower was brilliant!

Room Tip: I stayed on the fourth floor so didn't hear people coming in, which had beautiful views of the s...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
KellysOwner, Owner at Kelly's Residency, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Hi.

Thanks for taking time out to write a very kind review, small family privately owned hotels are hands on, we own or buildings and have to work hard to maintain them, what you spend with us goes into maintaining the building it doesn't go to overseas stock markets, we are not leasees, and our selling points are how much better we are with rooms, knowledge, money saving information and service you do not get this elsewhere out of corporate hotels with big flash foyers and booking clerks that don't know what we know and we give to you for free, and they don't care it's not their hotel just a job, they are not owners.

Corporate owners are not on site to save you money, their main aim is to make money, we can't charge what they do, and no hope of getting it, but we are better, we don't have big budgets to throw at adds and glossy bits, we're approachable and go the extra yards to please, with out doubt we have a room quality above average and way above anyone in our price range, we're not beach front so can't charge anywhere near those prices, this makes us very good value with better quality rooms.

Kelly's hotel is Thai owned and staffed, there is no welfare in thailand so we have to make it work and that means passing on tour commissions to you.

Thanks again for your kind review, they are appreciated.

Thanks Tan.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I can't think of a bad word to say about Kelly's. I'm more of a review-reader than a review-writer, but I guess hotels more than anything rely on positive feedback from customers so I decided to write one. I have no problems whatsoever giving Kelly's a great review.

Service: Anything you want to know, you just ask. I haven't received a single bad piece of advice. I think this is because there's no hidden money-making agenda behind the feedback. Plus, the folks that own the hotel make an effort to find out what types of things guests are interested in, and tells them the best way to go about it.

Price: Check the website for rates and judge for yourself. I think it's more than reasonable given that its a really nice hotel in a great part of Phuket.

Location: Walk to anywhere in Patong. Jungceylon is 5 minutes, Nightlife is 10 minutes. It's on a main road so it wouldn't take longer than 60 seconds to get to a grocery store, pharmacy, bar etc.

Sleep Quality: My bed is really comfortable and it's quiet as a mouse in my room. There is no noise from the street or from within the hotel. Walls look quite thick and the air con works great.

Cleanliness: Nothing for hygiene freaks to worry about here. It's spotless everywhere.

Overall: I'm giving it 5 stars because it's really contributing towards a great trip and finding anything wrong would just be nitpicking. If you want to laze around the pool all day whilst being waited on by 120 staff, try one of the bigger resorts. But if you want somewhere that is practical and will really enhance your holiday, then give Kelly's a go. You will not be disappointed and if you're like me you would return here in a heartbeat.

Make sure you get to know the managers, they take a lot of pride in helping people get the most out of their trip and absolutely hate watching tourists get ripped off when all they needed to do was ask. Friendliest hotel ever. Thanks for everything guys!

Room Tip: The penthouse has a great bar and lounge area for those who fancy a drink in their room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bsmit30
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Residency, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Hi Bsmit30.

Thanks for the great review, one thing is for sure owner operators where ever they are will always give you better value than anything corporate owned, and no we don't have the fluffy bits and don't charge for them either.
With out doubt value for money Kellys is hard to beat, our rooms are far better quality and for things like tours we give a lot more bang for your bucks.
When it comes to free information and money saving no one comes close.
We are small family owned businesses, if we disappear so will the competition, and up go the prices so thanks very much for your great review..

Thanks again.
Tan an Dan..
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Another great stay at Kelly's Hotel.
I really can recommend a stay at Kelly's. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere relaxed. It is just the right distance from Phukets lively nightlife to suite single travelers as well as families. The room cost is really reasonable as well. We went on several tour that were recomended by Kelly's knowledgeable staff.

Room Tip: Let Kelly's arrange taxi to avoid scams
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kimbo186338
KellysOwner, Owner at Kelly's Residency, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Hi Kimbo.

These reviews do help to give us a face on the crowded internet and much appreciated.
Tours we give to our guest the same price as we get them, we do for free and it has been one of the great selling point for Kelly's hotel along with all the other free money saving information, its a to hard for a new traveler to to sort out the difference between all the different tours and the price, whats the best tour or best value, for us that's easy we do talk to tourists and all the good information comes from them and we forward this information on to the next person.
Like all tourist resorts its full of scammers, to many to sort out on any holiday, in fact the scams can ruin your holiday, moving around a lot is never a good idea you keep dealing with different people with different tours and lots of different prices, and we have found there is never a 3-000 Baht tour for 1-000 Baht it a 1-000 baht tour for 1-000 Baht, it spells a lesser quality tour, it can leave you open to be sold a lemon.

Thanks again for taking your time to write a review, we do apreciate them, Tan..
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I arrived on the door step of kellys hotel late afternoon to be greeted by the proprieter of the establishment himself. Its a great feeling to enter a country you know nothing about and then arrive here and realise your safe and youve got the best local knowledge money cant buy. You instanlly feel at ease and relaxed. The place really feels like a home away from home, tucked away on a hill, close to the action but far enough to enjoy the peace of the night. This is definatley a place that i will come back to again and again. Looking forward to staying even longer next time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Residency, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Hi thanks for taking the time to write a review.

I think it relaxes and makes people at ease by having a taxi waiting at the airport for them with their name, to see Phuket airport in full swing is quite daunting the taxi touts or scams are everywhere, it took us a long time to sort this taxi problem out and our customers get the benefit.

And when you get here we hand you a lot of information about local knowledge, tours and things to do plus our web sites are full of info, this also saves visitors a lot of heart ache, no costly mistakes and wasted precious time, our knowledge makes it easy for tourists, no roaming the streets or searching the internet looking for things to do, no finding out the hard way, we have lived here for a lot of years, its easier for us to give this free information rather than trying to sort it out after its goes pear shaped.
Look forward to seeing you again, glad to be of help,

Thanks again for your excellent review.
Tan & Dan.
wrexham
Reviewed 15 May 2013

After staying in several different hotels on my visits to patong it was a plesure to find Kelly,s hotel. From the very start i was impressed i was met by the taxi at the airport taken straight to the hotel , no messing about stopping at the drivers favorit 7/11 trying to get you to go in and purchase things. At the hotel taken straight to the room they check to make sure your happy with it then told to relax and speak to the boss tomorrow to sortout what ever you need.Dan,s the owner and he makes sure you get the best value for money on trips bike hire even the best places to shop or eat at.His advice and experience are beyond what you could put a price on. my room was first class, larger than any other i,ve stayed in patong, spottlesly clean comfortable bed ( a first for me in thailand )and aircon that actually worked. I,m going back very soon and i feel comfortable about what to expect and i know i,ll enjoy the hotel

Room Tip: the higher up the room the better the view but all rooms are very very good
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Residency, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Hi.

Thanks for the review, reviews help keep us on the radar, once we we're listed in telephone books, you just looked up a country and the town you want to visit and found us under hotels, room quality was star rated, its was very easy, now the large booking company's push us out of the way by using our URL domain names, and we get lost on the internet, so reviews keep us visible up to a point.
Our selling point is rooms far above industry standards for quality and at a low 2 star prices, in a small boutique style hotel, we own it so we have to look after and maintain it, your reviews are greatly appreciated.
Other selling points are tours at cost to us, the speed we can get you going no wasted time, and all the free advice and Knowledge that took us years to learn, knowledge that's massive, it saves you time and money, something tourists don't have a lot of, plus we save you from scams and the hassles of making costly mistakes, means pockets full of money saved.

There is no way you can get off a plane and know any of this, we save you from the head ache of getting scammed at the airport right to the hotel, no dramas, we walk you right through the whole process and steer you in the right direction, big hotels do not have this personalized 10 star service its to hard for them,and staff just don't know, they employ people to check you into a room nothing more, they have a tour booth to sell you tours and those booths can also run secondary scams where they deal with those that pay the most commissions, even after the tour price has already been loaded, the tourist never knows, at Kelly s we have old fashioned integrity and honesty.

Thanks again for your review.
Yokosuka, Japan
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was my first visit to Kelly's after doing significant research on the net on prices and location. This hotel is in a great location and a short walk to the heart of Patong. I really enjoyed it being in the quieter side after partying, gives you the opportunity to recharge. The rooms were big and I enjoyed the amenities that the hotel provide.

There was a big sign that the property is for sale. The current owners (great people) I believe are retiring and moving on. Hopefully, someone with the same passion takes over and maintain the same level of service and transparency.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Dan and tan have a great hotel in a quiter spot of patong but only 5 min walk to the action of bangla rd. They have a stack of available tours etc and will organize it all for you. Lifes easy at kellys.

• Stayed April 2013
KellysOwner, Owner at Kelly's Residency, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thanks for your review.

Thanks for your kind review.

All reviews take time and we appreciate the fact reviewers take the time to tell others of all the things we do plus all the service and information.
It took us a lot of years to learn about how to make things work easy for you and for us, every day we still learn of something new, we document it and pass it on to those that stay with us.

Thanks again Tan..