“A No-Frills Hotel”

Ranked #109 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Singapore, Singapore
“A No-Frills Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

I had booked this hotel based upon the available reviews and of course the price. The reviews available at the time of my booking were superlative and I thought that not everyone would be wrong. My first entry to the hotel was a big let down. From the website, which claims a 4-star rating, I was expecting a big lounge and a efficient reception. What greeted me was a cramped reception area and dark alleys. We reached the hotel around 9 PM to find that the entrance absolutely dark. I had to find my way inside and look for help. I could locate one person (during our stay we realised that he is the only one available) who checked us in.

What went good :
1. The rooms were large, comfortable and very clean. We did not have any bedbug issue
2. The view from the room was good
3. The lone person at the hotel "A" (his name) was a friendly chap and provided service on request.
4. We had our breakfast in the room (prepared by "A") which was fresh and good

What could have been better
1. Persons booking their penthouse should be aware that it is one flight walk up from Level 4 (lift available upto level 4 only). The staircase is very narrow and does not have any handrail. People with young children and/or elderly should avoid booking this room because of this staircase
2. There is absolutely no room service. Our room did not even have a phone. So for every need we would have to go down to look for "A"
3. The bathrooms ran out of water twice during our 4-day stay. On each occasion had to go to level-1 in search of "A" who it seems had forgotten to run the water pump.
4. Could spot lizards in the room.
5. The faucet in the bathroom gave away and was replaced (quite promptly) by "A" again
6. The location is a good 20 minute walk (for adults) from the beach. With children, you have to get a tuk-tuk (200 baht one way). This adds up to the cost, which could have got us a hotel nearer to the beach. Also there is no eatery nearby. One has to walk for 5-10 minutes. Also, the walk back can be exhausting as the road is uphill for around 200 m.

Conclusion : A budget hotel I would stay. If one is only looking for a place to sleep over and does not have any expectation of any service, then this might be the place to consider. If I go to Phuket again, I may go back to Kellys but this time with little expectation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank abaner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

Dear fellow travellers, for your information those small dark things you find in your bed in the morning at Kelly's are definately not bedbugs. Their Latin name is Ladiums Barius , commonly called Bar Ladies.
I enjoyed my 2 week stay in Kelly's Hotel, it is one of the best value places I have found so far in Patong, see yeah next year!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

Well run establishment in a quiet night time area but also close enough to the beach, shopping malls and the famous Bangla Road entertainment area.
The hotel has a comfortable rooms, particulary the sea view rooms, swimming pool and bar facilities. Also motor bikes are avalilable for rent at competitive rates.
Definitely value for money and you can be sure Tim the manager and his staff will do their upmost to make youir stay enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SouthseaRangers
gold coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

Kellys lived up to all the reviews I had read previously - no disappointments. The penthouse rooms (which we had booked both for a family of 5) were great, almost a home away from home. Huge beds, spacious living area, lovely tiled bathrooms. Rooms were cleaned everyday and complimentry water left on bench. Views were amazing, looking out to the beach or the surrounding mountains where we could watch the fireworks go off each night. A short walk to Jungceylon (10 min) and another 10 min to the beach and markets - could have been quicker but we had had 3 kids in tow! Banzaan market was close by for fresh fruit. Food stalls at night (outside Banzaan) were cheap and plentiful. We could feed a family of 5 on 300baht per night at the markets (no dodgy stomachs either). The small restaurant right next door would deliver dinner on plates + with cutlery supplied to our room (no extra charge) which was scrumptious and again very reasonably priced (5 meals cost 500baht). Tim was helpful and friendly with advise of where to go and what to see, pool area was clean and tidy - kids had a ball. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we've made plans to return in 2 years.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank nzrudy
east yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

This is my second stay at Kelly's hotel, the first being in March of this year. I was very impressed the first time and was not disappointed the second! I have looked at various hotels in the area and none come close to Kelly's on price or service; I like the fact that the hotel is situated away from the hustle and bustle, but not too far.
I stayed again in the Penthouse suite for almost 2 weeks, the views from this room are excellent as it has two balconies. As usual Tim the manager and staff were always very helpful, particularly his assistant Pen.

I will be returning to Thailand again in October and if I head to Phuket I will definately stay at Kelly's again.

Once again thank you to Tim and staff for a great stay, keep up the good work.

If anyone needs and information on this hotel feel free to email me.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank autumng70
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel for just under 6 weeks, the rooms are clean well maintained by very friendly staff but most importantly the hotel offers great value for money. Being just 5 minutes away from the nightlife also helps as your far enough away for a quiet holiday but close enough for a great night out and we had some great nights out!!!!. Aussie owned and run makes for a very laid back feeling, overall we were delighted with the choice of hotels and highly recommend it to fellow travellers.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Riley5751
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

My partner and I stayed here in July 2010. We chose Kellys because of the many numerous excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed!

It is a small boutique hotel with about 20 rooms, so those looking for a flashy resort had better go somewhere else. It has an excellent swimming pool and bar area perfect for lazing around on those hot patong days. The view from our 4th floor room was beautiful. Make sure you do your research so you know what to expect because Kellys isnt for everyone. It is probably a good 15 min walk to the beach, but that didnt bother us at all as it is extremely close to a major shopping mall, and just a little further to Bangla Road and other 'night life' spots. Despite its closeness to the night life it is still quiet at night time so sleep quality is high. Tim the hotels owner is very friendly, helpful and accommodating and has plenty of good advice.
There were only 2 things that did not meet my expectation - 1. The room size was a little smaller than anticipated (however it was still large enough) and 2. The bed was very hard. I thought this would be a problem at first but despite its hardness i still managed to get extremely good sleep (probably because by the end of the day i was exhausted).

Overall this Hotel has a welcoming "family" feel to it and is a great place to base yourself when in Patong. There is nothing else that would even come close within its price range for the quality. Thank you to Tim for making our stay a memorable one.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple