I had booked this hotel based upon the available reviews and of course the price. The reviews available at the time of my booking were superlative and I thought that not everyone would be wrong. My first entry to the hotel was a big let down. From the website, which claims a 4-star rating, I was expecting a big lounge and a efficient reception. What greeted me was a cramped reception area and dark alleys. We reached the hotel around 9 PM to find that the entrance absolutely dark. I had to find my way inside and look for help. I could locate one person (during our stay we realised that he is the only one available) who checked us in.
What went good :
1. The rooms were large, comfortable and very clean. We did not have any bedbug issue
2. The view from the room was good
3. The lone person at the hotel "A" (his name) was a friendly chap and provided service on request.
4. We had our breakfast in the room (prepared by "A") which was fresh and good
What could have been better
1. Persons booking their penthouse should be aware that it is one flight walk up from Level 4 (lift available upto level 4 only). The staircase is very narrow and does not have any handrail. People with young children and/or elderly should avoid booking this room because of this staircase
2. There is absolutely no room service. Our room did not even have a phone. So for every need we would have to go down to look for "A"
3. The bathrooms ran out of water twice during our 4-day stay. On each occasion had to go to level-1 in search of "A" who it seems had forgotten to run the water pump.
4. Could spot lizards in the room.
5. The faucet in the bathroom gave away and was replaced (quite promptly) by "A" again
6. The location is a good 20 minute walk (for adults) from the beach. With children, you have to get a tuk-tuk (200 baht one way). This adds up to the cost, which could have got us a hotel nearer to the beach. Also there is no eatery nearby. One has to walk for 5-10 minutes. Also, the walk back can be exhausting as the road is uphill for around 200 m.
Conclusion : A budget hotel I would stay. If one is only looking for a place to sleep over and does not have any expectation of any service, then this might be the place to consider. If I go to Phuket again, I may go back to Kellys but this time with little expectation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Previously known and popular Kelly's Hotel is now Kelly's Residency under the new professional management of Ananta Hospitality Management Co Ltd. 4Star rated Rooms at 2Star Rates. Our rooms are large and very high standard for the price range and all have large balconies,all have views over Patong and most have ocean views,large penthouses on top floor. Rooms are recently renovated by the new management and many new services and facilities are being added to make the stay at Kelly's be more enjoyable and comfortable, you will surely be pleased with improvement at your favorite Kelly's ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Booking.com, Hotel.de and Agoda so you can book your Kelly's Residency reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kellys Hotel Patong
- Kelly's Residency Phuket/Patong