“Excellent in every way”

Patong Bay Guesthouse
Ranked #57 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 9 December 2012

The hotel has had a change of management over the last twelve months and is now owned and operated by three Italians. From the moment I arrived at the hotel they immediately made me feel at home ensuring that everything was taken care of including over 4 kg's of laundry which was cleaned and returned to me within 24 hours of me handing it over to them.
The three owners are able to communicate in a number of different languages, know all the hot spots, restaurants, beaches and were even able to arrange excursions for me right in the lobby. The room itself was very comfortable, quite large and included a balcony that overlooked the mountains. I will also mention that it was cleaned daily, without the need to prompt the owners or their staff. The Italian style breakfast that was on offer was the icing on the cake!

The hotel was perfectly located near Bangla Road, the Muay Thai stadium, the beach and all shopping districts plus you can hire a motorcycle from the premises.

In summary, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay in Patong, Phuket as the only thing that is better than the excellent value for money is the outstanding service.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Avi M

Reviewed 2 December 2012

Great place to stay! I was there 9 days in November 2012. Employes there are friendly and are prompt at arranging taxi services.

The venue is close to restaurants the the main shopping centre Jungceylon and Bang La Road!

Room Tip: Balcony views are great and spacious
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2012

A friend of us recommended me this hotel which we found to be of great value for money. For a budget price you can get a nice room newly decorated and with a powerful AC unit. The staff is very friendly and if you are lucky to meet the owner in the morning, you can obtain some very good advices on shoppping, restaurants and sightseeing tours. The plus side is that the hotel is not managed by local people so you can experience the thai hospitality with that extra european touch which on my opinion takes the service a step ahead of the others
I will definitely be coming back at this lovely hotel and I have already mentioned it to all friends of mine.
Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: An upgrade is well worth if you love a room with big balcony!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank fabrix82
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We booked a room in the Patong residence for 3 nights. The room was very basic and had a bathroom that was only accessable from the bacony but it was just 800 baht in high season, or so we thought...
Anyway, on our return to Patong and heavily laden with luggage, we were dropped off at Patong residence. We arrived at reception and were told that we had been moved to another room. We asked to view the other room and found that this one didnt even have a window.
Obviously we said that this was unacceptable but were told that if we didnt like it we would forefeit our deposit of 800 baht.
We were given the option of paying 50% more to stay in the room that we originally booked but after I showed the booking reciept that stated the room and price on it and said that I was now taking this to the tourist police, I was called back to reception to find that they had suddenly decided to give my money back.
Avoid this place like the plague!

Its worth noting also that this place is miles from the action in Patong and will require a 200 baht taxi ride each way, so factor that into your equations IF you still want to stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank SiCh
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We arrived in Patong at 2am on New Years Day only to find that our reservation (at another hotel) had been cancelled due to over booking. The Patong Residence was recommended to us. To cut a long story short we arrived in the pouring rain by tuk tuk and were greeted by friendly staff who helped to carry our bags (no elevator) to the first floor.

I was plesently surprised by our room. It was bright, clean and freshly decorated. It had an en-suite (off the main bedroom, not outside) and a huge king sized bed. I must admit I was worried about what this place would be like but I was happy with the outcome.

The location was good for us as its in a busy area and close to shops and restaurants. We didn't have breakfast included but found a nice cafe around the corner.

There is a large shopping centre 10 minutes walk away and the beach is located about 5 minutes further than the shopping centre.

The only bad thing about this hotel was the noise. Because of the layout, internal noise tends to echo up the stairwell from the reception area where a pool table is located. The worst noise however came from the busy road outside. Mopeds and tuk tuks awoke me several times during the night.

If you were thinking of staying here I'd recommend asking for a room at the back of the hotel, which isn't overlooking the road.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 20 February 2010

I do not recommend this hotel. We picked this hotel because of the positive reviews on the site but it is mind-boggling to me after my experience here. It is close to convenience stores and some restaurants but it takes more than half an hour to walk to Patong Beach if you take the "short cut" and walk through Jungceylon (mall) and Bangla Street. There is a market for clothing and street food after a short walk.

This hotel is designed terribly. There are no elevators. Friendly staff but it is very noisy throughout the night even on a higher floor, partly due to the way the hotel is built (open and not insulated properly, meaning you can see and hear what's going on the lobby even after flights of stairs) and partly because there's a pool table in the lobby and you can hear the staff/visitors laughing/screaming loudly and socializing even when it's the middle of the night. Strong cigarette smoke smell also seeps through a closed door, nasty enough to wake you up even if you finally manage to fall asleep.

Another major annoyance was having to exit the bedroom to get to the bathroom. People smoking on the balcony at the building less than an arm's length away can see you walking from your bedroom to the bathroom. Hot air and mosquitoes get in the room, not to mention you need to dress and undress every time you want to use the bathroom.

The room itself was okay. The cleaning staff rearranged the stuff I organized on the dressing table but stopped after I notified the staff not to. Sometimes they fold the towels in cute elephant/flower shapes, but that's the only positive thing I can think of.

I think you can definitely find a better place to stay, even if you pay less. Phuket is full of hotels so I can't think of a reason why you should stay here unless you prebooked and paid already. I know I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank redeyeblues
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Let's see... bathroom is detached from the main room and one must walk across the balcony to use it, in full view of the next hotel... ppl who smoke on their balcony could literally touch you as you walk out of a shower naked.

There are no elevators and the stair well is hollow meaning it connects directly to the lobby... sound travels unimpeded from the noisy ppl who play pool in the lobby... nothing like waking up to shrieks at 3am in the morning cuz the concierge lady scratched on the 8 ball... oh yeah along with the noise you get cigarette smoke seeping through the door all night too... ENJOY!

and what a great value... 2000 baht a night for a noisy, smokey, unprivate room and you get to walk 30min to either the beach or the mall... fantastic... I can get hotels in manhattan that don't cost that much... it's pathetic.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple