“Not up to Thai standards of customer service at all!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bodega

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Bodega
Ranked #7 of 397 Patong B&B and Inns
Red Deer, Canada
“Not up to Thai standards of customer service at all!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

We recently spent a total of 4 nights at Bodega, split into two stays of 2 nights each. I should first mention that Bodega is split into 3 buildings, and we stayed in the hotel building that used to be the Sea House Hotel but I guess they bought it and took it over and now if you book a private room not a dorm room you stay in that building. It's a little older, but alright. There was some confusion at first check in and they thought we needed a spare bed in our room for some reason, so we actually got put in one of the bigger rooms on the 3rd floor. Our friends got a regular room which is considerably more cramped with a smaller bathroom and no balcony.
The The first time we checked in, there were two Thai guys working at reception who seemed to really know what was going on and were really helpful and friendly. The second time, one of those guys was there, but there was a girl working at the counter who had either an Aussie or South African accent and she wasn't nearly as helpful or friendly and almost refused to give us a room with a balcony again until the other guy stepped in and told her to. On a side note, the hotel/hostel seems to have two of these South African or Australian girls working there and they are not at all like the Thais that work there - they seem to have no sense of customer service and act borderline rude when they don't want to help you with stuff. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and it took the one girl 15 minutes to get us cutlery after bringing out our food. She was much more keen to sit and socialize with other guys drinking at the bar than she was to do her job which is apparently serving at the restaurant. I'm not sure why they hotel feels it necessary to hire two such girls as there are plenty of Thai people that can provide great customer service and speak enough English to do the job and there are no shortage of local people to supply the job market.
As for the room itself, the bed is hard as a rock so definitely not the place to stay if you need to sleep on a soft bed. Wi-Fi works well but takes a long time to get connected. The rooms all have a fridge but no safe. The second room we got the fridge was broken. It also had not been cleaned after the previous person checked out and we had to ask 3 times and wait almost 2 hours for this to happen. When we got to the room the guy said he would send someone right away, and a lady came and cleaned the toilet and then left. We then asked the other housekeeping people we saw after an hour and they said "ok we clean" but then they proceeded to do other rooms first. Finally we asked a guy at reception who said "wait 10 min" but then nooone came for another 30 min so we went back downstairs and realized the guy didn't speak english so had no idea what we were asking. Not a great way to start our second stay.
The food at the restaurant is ok but limited selection. Definitely a place to hang out if you want to meet other hostel stayers. Patong Beach is nearby, nice if you like a crowded beach filled with vendors. It costs 100 THB to rent a beach chair for a day and be prepared to be asked every few min if you would like to buy something or other.
Overall, Patong Beach area is not recommended for couples, it's mostly a sex tourism destination and you mainly see guys here to hook up with Thai massage girls. But definitely an interesting experience. If you want to visit Patong Beach, I would suggest checking out other places nearby as there are no shortage of hotels in the area and I think Bodega isn't anything special at all if you just want a private air con room.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Scar604

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

This place is amazing, great vibe, great fun, if your in Phuket as a proper tourist (you know what I mean) then stay here. Thanks guys

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank barney8181
arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

Easy walking distance to everything. Just a basic room and place. Their website shows it being a super fun place, but there is no fun going on. Only 1 guy on the staff seems to have any idea what is going on, and they still messed that up. Gave him our CC to pay on check out. he gave it back w/ out swiping it, so called the shuttle driver to the airport where we had to come up w/ quite a bit of Baht before he would give us our bags. Pretty big pain as you can imagine.
Good location, but I'm not sure it was any better than any of the other thousand places.
2 GREAT resturants nearby. A middle eastern/hookah rest that was amazing, and a thai place called I think 6. both are amazing, best food in phuket we though.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

I recently stayed at Bodega and am happy to offer a favorable review. Here's the basics of what you might want to know.

Highlights:
-Location. It's on a quiet side street, but a quick walk to all the action. There's also a solid laundry shop down the way. Washed, pressed, folded and wrapped for 50 Baht/Kg. I wish I could get that in the states!!
-Room. A REAL western-grade twin mattress on the bed. Not some hard, futon-thin piece of garbage. Oh...and the great duvet and bath towel. Each bed has its own light and power outlet for charging your gear. They provide a good sized locker and key (200 Baht deposit, refundable at check out). The room is cleaned daily.
-Bathroom. Nice. The 8-person room has two bathrooms. Good shower - hot with solid pressure.
-The Cafe. They make great smoothies and it's a nice place to play on the wifi or listen to music at night.
-Internet. Wifi is good and there is one house computer.

Considerations:
-The 8-person room is four flights up and there is no lift.

Overall I'm impressed with what Bodega is trying and succeeding in doing. A hostel with a bit of flair...dare I say posh?

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Luton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

I recently travelled to Thailand and was due to stay here for 10 days to make life easier i paid in advance directly to Robin (the manager). 4 and a half weeks before my arrival to Phuket i was informed that a space for an opperation i had been long awaiting for was available for me but it was during the time i was due to stay at the Bodega. I instantly informed Robin of this change and explained how unfortunatly i couldnt make it there and had to be back in Englang. With ample time before my arrival, Robin made sure he exclaimed how much of a big deal refunding this would be. Very insensative to the situation he told me he would need the bank details it was paid by and etc etc. I instantly gave him these details. But didnt here from him for three weeks untill i contacted him again.

Long story short, it has now been 2 months. Ive still not recieved any kind of payment, quite curious as to what he has done with my details? He has ignored everyone of my emails since and on numerous occasions when i have tried to call he hasn't answered.

I have just called via my skype directly to his mobile, and explained to him the situation, he spoke to me as if i was stupid and that i couldnt see what he was doing. He told me to take it up with hostelworld despite the fact i paid via him. When i tried to speak he would rudely and aggressivly interupt me. His last words to me were, 'look little lady i have told you nicely once, dont make me tell you again'.... The fact i am now unable to work and have no income due to my operation is irrelevant to him. All he cares about is getting the money.... DO NOT BOOK.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank emilylucyy
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

Bodega is a fantastic place! After some pretty iffy establishments in Thailand, we were so thrilled to find Bodega that we ended up going back and staying a few times!
The rooms are clean with big and really comfy beds. The location is perfect - quick walk to the beach and Bangla Rd but on a quiet street which means you can still sleep! The bar/cafe was great and we loved just hanging out there. But the best thing about Bodega is the awesome staff!! What a great bunch of people who really made us feel welcome from the moment we checked in! Really hope to be back there soon!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

Bodega is a great backpacker priced place just off the main drag in Patong. Super helpful staff, amazing smoothies and drinks at the cool cafe handout. Our room was a bit old fashioned, but clean and comfortable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends