“A terrible place. Not at all what it's advertised to be. To be avoided.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bliss

The Bliss
Ranked #63 of 319 Hotels in Patong
“A terrible place. Not at all what it's advertised to be. To be avoided.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

It took an hour and four complaints to get the music piping into the swimming pool area to be changed. They were playing a loop of Christmas songs, in March! The rooms are one star at best. Cheap soap in dispensers stuck to the wall in the tiny bathroom. All lights in bedroom are white florecent. So forget about any romantic atmosphere short of sitting in the dark. And when they come banging on your door to clean your room at 10am, do not tell them to come back in half an hour. They will be back the next day instead! What an awefull awefull place. Referred prepaying and getting stuck here for 5 night. And still two more to go:-(

• Stayed March 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

28DEC2010 – 01JAN2011 Room # 324
When you’re shopping Phuket beach front hotels think of the Bliss as two distinctly different properties that share one reception. Superior rooms (2nd & 3rd floors) and deluxe rooms (4th floor) are in the old Seagull hotel building. Suites are in the Bliss building. Seagull is old and worn, Bliss is new and posh. Breakfast and pools are shared; view is great from both buildings. Our third floor superior needed a good cleaning. Lights, TV, safe and mini-bar all worked; water pressure and temperatures were good. The shower head arrangement was devilish; it was a shower wand attached to flexible metal hose that made the water always spray sideways. You had to hold the wand the whole time. It was not an efficient shower head meant for showering. Shower area was moldy and the towels threadbare. Bed was fine, pillows miserable. The pool in front of the Seagull is small with room for about six deck chairs and you feel like you’re in the carpark. We never saw anyone stay there for more than fifteen minutes. The Bliss pool is long and very narrow, maybe 20m by 3m tapering at the ends to 1m. You can do laps in this pool but one end is very stinky from a drain cistern that has a busted cover and the pool water left a weird taste.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BillyNg
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

I have just stayed at the Bliss hotel for 2 weeks November 2010.

Here are my experiences as a single white English Rose travelling solo...

I was scared to death when I saw the reviews of the old part of the hotel.......I really had no need to worry at all!!!! AND I would stay there again although I did think it over priced compared to hotels I have stayed in all over the world

I had a standard room with balcony in the old part of the hotel and it was absolutely fine and I am very well travelled and experienced and used to a very high standard. I was only ever in the room to sleep, shower and change. Do take mozzie spray for the room as that was the only time I got bitten, while in the room!

There is a kettle, and coffee and tea in the room all free (the Bliss water is also free and they leave 2 bottles per day)...but I took my own nescafe cappuccino. There is a usable fridge that you can remove contents and put in your own :). There is also a safe and a hairdryer, so ladies no need to take a hairdryer, save that space for another handbag or 10 hehe.

My room was cleaned every day apart from one. Beach towels are available from reception for free every day, so don't take towels.

I had seen on the net about the hard beds but I like a hard bed so didn't worry BUT these beds are rock solid, no springs, think they must be made of wood with a light padded cover...My bed was massive and could have fitted 4 of me in it BUT VERY VERY HARD.

The brekky...I think an average choice, the omelettes tasted of nothing so I had fried eggs and ham every morning. Turn the toaster as high as you can or it takes 4 goes instead of 2 haha grrrr

A very lonely hotel if you are on your own, staff not interested in talking to you, and groups of them congregate and talk incessantly to each other and most say they don't speak much English...uhum. I went to many bars along the beach and Bangla Road, they are much more friendly

Hotel is located bang on the beach and no scary walks home down dark alleys and right by the beach front shops :)))

The sunbeds on the beach by the hotel cost me £2 per day and offers of drinks and food on the beach is excellent and cheap. But don't expect a free day on your birthday....they are not interested.

Lots to see and look at on the beach, boats, jet ski's for hire etc......the joggers errrrr hello lol.

Oh and I only saw 3 ladies topless 2 of them very old and was quite painful to see, I wanted to go cover them up lol

I was really disappointed that The Bliss did absolutely nothing for my birthday...I am used to champagne in my room from all other hotels I have stayed in but I didn't even get any fruit left in my room....very stingy.

The beach sales people are fine, not pushy at all and most friendly and some have nice things that are popular to buy.

The menu at this hotel is good and the food was very good (not brekky) and not too expensive.....lovely steaks, burgers, spag bol :)

The noise is very low although there is always a horrendous noise around 9pm, I couldn't work out if it was a boat engine or fireworks but it woke me up several times with a fright when I had collapsed early due to jet lag but this wore off after 3 days.

I did not feel at any time in danger or frightened, and I feel it is quite a safe place to be if you are a single lady travelling on her own but I stuck to the main walkways that are always busy.

Phuket seems to be heavily populated with Aussie travellers and as per my experience all over the world, the nicest ones are from Melbourne so seek them out and swerve the other rude ones....oh and if you happened to be blessed in the looks department, take no notice of the insecure women with their hubbies that turn their backs on you to try and block you out from their hubbies......hey lady don't worry I'm not interested in him....I mean really....take a look at him....as if lol

If there is anything you want to ask please do so as I'm sure ive left a lot out: duvalbianca@gmail.com

Oh and I flew into Kuala Lumpur en route to Phuket and stayed at the Concord Hotel in the city (Not the airport hotel). About 1 hour away from the airport but well worth the trip and not expensive to get to via KLIA Express train or by taxi (70 Ringgits). This hotel is awesome, the staff, very well polished as is the hotel and it's restaurants, and great entertainment, fab pool....get a room with a view of the twin towers....awesome at night. Also get a cab to China Town (Petaling Street). Tons of shops to bimble around :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank QueenieLady32
Waterloo, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Bliss for two nights, three days at the end of our trip to Phuket. We booked the room with a private pool through Agoda.

The Good:
The room itself was quite large and gorgeous. Our private pool was clean and larger then expected.
Very close walking distance to many restaurants, shopping and majority of Patong.

The Bad:
Check-in- we were served water in wine glasses, it had a yellow colour to it and we originally thought it was wine or champagne, but it was dirty water. We are lucky we only had a few sips and didn't get sick. We had been our room less than a hour before the door bell started to malfunction. I called the front desk and tried to explain what was happening, she spoke Thai to someone in the background and then hung up the phone without saying anything to me. Luckily someone did show up shortly to fix this.

Housekeeping- We were spending the day by our pool when the maid came in, we let her know that we will stay outside while she cleans and she said 'yes'. About 30 mins later we went to go in the room to use the washroom and the maid had locked the patio door on us. My husband had to hop the fence onto the street and walk barefoot to the front desk to get a key. They didn't offer a apology. Once we got in the room, the maid had not even cleaned anything. We assume she didn't do it on purpose but an apology from the front desk would have been nice.

The bed was extremely hard! The website says they are sleep number beds- they are not. Also, when we turned off the air conditioning, the entire room started to smell of urine, we quickly turned it back on the smell faded after about a hour....

Also, the noise was quite loud from the street in front of the hotel. We had previously spent a week at Surin beach which was amazing and very quiet so we immediate found Patong to be very 'in your face'. Note: we are in our 20's and some noise is expected in a town like Patong and probably hard to avoid.. which is fine, however, we were awakened several times between 1-3 am to loud bass pumping outside the room..... etc.

Check-out: We had requested a late check out and were told that 2:00 pm was the latest we could check out without incurring extra charges. We asked for this and they said no problem. At about 1:15 we got a call in our room telling us we are late for check out and they will be charging us 300 baht/hour for each hour we are late. I explained that yesterday we booked a late checkout. They said that it isn't possible anymore as the room is booked out and asked us to be out of the room in 15 mins. We rushed to shower and pack. As we left our room we saw that staff were hanging out in the room next to ours, so I doubt all the rooms were fully booked.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean_84
Gove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

I can't believe people would write a bad review about The bliss. We arrived in Phuket with no accommodation booked. We went straight to The Holiday Inn and they were full. The staff there recommended The Bliss. We booked in and LOVED IT! We booked into the older part of The Bliss as we were not planning to spend an awful lot of time in the room itself. The room had everything we needed. The bed was firm but comfortable....the view was beautiful. The location was awesome. When you stay here you are literally 15m from the night life and you get absolutley no traffic or party noise. The Bliss has 2 pools both of which are small but lovely. They also have a bar at the beach front. We had dinner here 2 nights and the food was beautiful and very very cheap. Cocktails were about $3 aussie!
The staff were very welcoming and down to earth.....especially the bar staff making our drinks. It was very relaxing to not have to be in the hustle and bustle of Patong Beach but only be a mere 1 minute walk away from it.
Breakfast was included in the stay. I have peoples reviews saying it was not good. I'm not sure what people expect for suxh little money but we were greeted every morning at breakfast and asked what coffe/tea we would like. Also if we would like a hot breakfast. This included eggs cooked any way you liked, omlette, tomato, bacon, sausage etc etc. Also you could have pad thai, soups etc. Then there were all different types of breads to toast, danishes etc. A big variety of fresh fruits, cereals, juice and a few hot thai dishes. My husband loves his food and this definitely filled him up every day. We never need lunch!
I would definitely recommend The Bliss to anyone. We were shown through the pool villas before we left as we were looking for my brother for his honetmoon. We will definitely be staying in them ourselves next year. If you are looking for luxury book into the new part of the hotel.....but if you are happy with a bed and a hot shower along with a great view the old part is fine.
Again I find it hard to believe people didn't like The Bliss......I won't be staying anywhere else next time. We spet the last part of our holidat at a 5 star resort at Kata Noi beach and whilst the rooms were bigger(we did book the grand suite) I actually enjoyed our stay at The Bliss a lot more. Definitely a 5/5 stay. I have been telling everyone I can to stay there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TrudiandCorrey
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

we came across this hotel when taking a long walk because we were disappointed with another one we had booked online. With a beautiful beachfront view, friendly service and spacious clean rooms, this was obviously a relief. we moved in right away, we had no regrets. the atmosphere was friendly, the location was not too busy, however we were in walkging distance to the beach, the markets and many first class restaurants.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank NardeenE
east yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I stayed in Phuket for 3 weeks in July, having spent some time in another hotel I decided to look for somewher new. I rode past the hotel on my motorbike and turned back to have a closer look. I went to reception to ask if they had any rooms, I was asked if I would like to see the room that had available. Upon being shown the room I decided to check out of my current hotel that day and move to The Bliss

The hotel is situated at the quiet end of Patong bay (although only 5-8 minutes walk to the main centre) and is just opposite the beach. Our room had a fantastic view of the beach and bay and got all the afternoon sun. My partner and I have a suite on te 3rd floor, the door opened into a very large lounge area with kichenette off. The lounge had a desk, excellent wi-fi and a new flat screen TV, walking throught the lounge into the large bedroom, (both rooms have seperate A/C) with dressing table and another new flat screen TV and large balcony.

The best part was the bathroom or should I say 'wet room' with 2 showers (a rain shower and standard shower) and a huge jacuzzi all directly overlooking the beach! The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel is ideal for families and couple if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of Patong, but only a short walk with many restaurents and bars on the way. I hired a motorbike for directly opposte the hotel at 450thb for 2 days I good way of exploring the island I can recommend pardise beach which is a short ride from the hotel on a quiet safe road.
I will be returning to Phuket in October this year and will definately stay at The Bliss again, and would like to thank Barry Smyth (the hotel manager) and his team for what was a very relaxing stay, keep up the good work !

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple