“Nice place but probably older than you would expect”
Review of B-Lay Tong Phuket

B-Lay Tong Phuket
Ranked #64 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice place but probably older than you would expect”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I appreciate that keeping a property on the beach front looking new can be a challenge in such a weathering environment but first impressions were that this place was already starting to show its age. For some reason I was expecting a new hotel but it's already starting to look tatty around the edges. Wicker also seems to age quickly in wet climates and so the sun beds around the pool made it all seem a bit more run-down than it probably actually is.

It's a trendy design hotel run by the French hotel group Accor who clearly don't have a cheap "design" brand like Starwood's Aloft but this is the same type of idea. A digression, there was a odd catalogue of Accor hotels in the room that seemed to consist of random properties around the world that had no other common feature than they were not obvious candidates for the group's branded chains Novotel, Mercure or Sofitel.

We were given two rooms next to each other by the side of the main pool. Good sized rooms with a lot of the aforementioned "design" flourishes (green Perspex, iPod dock and a device to throw coloured lights to the ceiling). The bathroom didn't have too many amenities (no toothbrushes and toothpaste or razor and shaving cream) and the shower door leaked water into the main room where it travelled the distance across the whole floor to a drain near the loo.

The free wifi was not the fastest on the planet but but the login was ready when we arrived using my first name and room number as the user name and password and it worked for all our devices simultaneously. Good.

The pool guys were great, made good cocktails (two for the price of one from 4pm) and the snack food was surprisingly all right. The daily free cocktail is a nice touch but they didn't seem to feature much, you know, actual alcohol. As it wasn't included in the room rate we didn't have breakfast (also the comments here didn't make it seem worth making the effort to get up) but there are plenty of places in town to eat.

Given the very many places in Patong to stay, I'm not sure that I'd bother staying here again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard G
BLAYTONG, General Manager at B-Lay Tong Phuket, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
I would have to agree with your general comments concerning resorts by the beach.

We continually maintain and repair our buildings, and we usually do the exterior areas after the rainy season.

I will pass on your kind comments to our team.

Wesley Hayden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The Pros

- Location (Close to Patong beach and Jungceylon shopping mall)
- Modern look
- Polite & welcoming staff
- Fantasy swimming pool
- Complimentary drink
- Generous 30min shower room after check-out
- Nightly live music sessions

The Cons
- Breakfast is expensive and not good
- Wifi is very slow and useless
- Bathroom shower
- Wall cracks are every where!
- No DVD player

Room Tip: Try to get ocean view or the pool side rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pollcon
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We arrived at this B-Lay Tong with voucher of booking in hand yet they did not have our reservation! They admitted an error on their end, they had booked us in for some other date. So as they weren't prepared for us, we had to sit around and wait a while in the lobby for them to check us in. There were four of us with two room bookings. They upgrade two of us to a room on the 3rd floor of one building around the back, with a jacuzzi. The other two got upgraded to a different building with a suite. We were told this would be for one night. The next day, us with the jacuzzi (might I add - with brown stains!) were told we could stay in our room but our friends had to check out of theirs at 12pm then check into a room like ours at 2pm. No, we wouldn't get rooms next to each other. We hung around waiting for them to get a new room but at 3pm, still no room was ready! My friends were rather angry as our time was being wasted and they were upgraded to a presidential suite. Kind, but not great for us who are stuck on the other side of the hotel! I questioned how a room with a jacuzzi was an upgrade from the room we booked - pool access. We were told it was because the room was bigger. We were given a room eventually, of the same size, on the ground floor that had direct access to a semi-private pool. Very frustrated that there was so much mucking around and that we were so far away from our friends! We couldn't just simply dash across the hall to see them, we had to cross the grounds and into the lobby then up a couple of floors!
I like the funkiness of the art and furniture and thought it was amusing that you could just about purchase anything in the room. I was disappointed that a 5 star hotel doesn't provide DVD players in the rooms but I was given one upon request. I also requested a bottle opener (why wasn't there one in the room?).. one promptly came.. and left! They couldn't leave it with me. What am I suppose to do - call every time I want a bottle opened?
The pool is nice and has a swim up bar. Views onto the beach.
200baht tuk tuk/taxi ride to Banglar road. It's walkable but about 20-30mins one day and not so pleasant in the heat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
BLAYTONG, General Manager at B-Lay Tong Phuket, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for the feedback, and we apologize for not being able to meet your requests in a timely manner. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed our resort overall.

New Zealand
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This place was a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of Phuket. Staff were truly welcoming upon our arrival all the way until we left again. The rooms were SPACIOUS, original and very comfortable. We had pretty views onto the lush gardens and lap pools of the hotel. We had a Jacuzzi on our deck but other rooms also have the option of access to their own private lap pools (not sure how much more they were). Comfy BIG beds a big bonus when you are travelling with kids.
There was a lovely infinity edge pool, complete with wet bar and a glass wall that allows you to look out into the reception area underwater! A very cool feature. Views from the pool were out onto the beach across the road. Unfortunately like everywhere in Phuket, the power lines obscure the view somewhat.
Free WiFi, breakfast buffet was pretty good (selection wasn't as big as other places we had been), I had a facial at the spa which was lovely, funky art on all the walls plus many other small touches make this hotel a worthwhile visit. We also got given several free drink vouchers upon check-in for the beehive bar/restaurant downstairs, this included DELICIOUS cocktails. What a lovely perk! This hotel is also a stones throw away from the well known Thai restaurant #9 that was voted as one of the best in Phuket.

Only thing I found a bit annoying is the maze of stairs & hallways we had to walk to get to our room since we happened to be on the other side of the hotel. Also although this is not unique to the B-lay Tong, the air-conditioner was pretty loud at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool unless you are getting one with the lap pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience, and we'll check to see what we can do for the air con noise.

Fahaheel, Kuwait
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I thought this hotel was pretty decent. I was travelling with my family and I wanted to take them somewhere "cool" for a change. The overall cleanliness of this place was outstanding. The design of the hotel was sweet! Very modern and fun. The pool was awesome and the drinks were fun, new and very creative! Located right across the street from Patong beach and only a 5 minute Tuk Tuk ride to any nightlife you'd want. I highly suggest this hotel for anyone who doesn't like to be bombarded by a bunch of staff, who has a passion for artwork and modern architectural design.

Room Tip: I wouldn't upgrade to the pool room unless you're determined to use it. The private pools w...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at B-Lay tong in Phuket at the begining of our family vacation in Thailand. What a place... cofortable, cozy, welcoming, simply excelent. the rooms, the service, the location, we liked everything. Most reccomended to whoever cooses Phuket for his island vacation. Great breakfast, free Wi-Fi, on the beach, who could ask fot more?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Great to hear about your stay! I will pass along your feedback to our team.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Like others say, this hotel is providing a cozy yet convenience for overall experience. I had a room connected to the lap pool next to my private terrace. I arrived there in late evening and found the hotel a bit dark from outside but once you get in you will just hit the warmth from reception staff, sorry can't remember her name. She escorted me to the room, a bit distace from main buidlng but very nice though. I asked her so many things as same as all travellor and i am sure she been replied those questions thousand time (or more than) however i could not even feel that i had bothered her as she was really happy to give me information as much as she can. Thank you for making my first day in Phuket delightful.
The room is very big :) really..with comfy red sofa, nice sound system TV, big big bathroom plus private terrace. Very good amenity especially in the bathroom. DVD player is available for those who found it too lazy to go out.
The restaurant in the night time has very good dish, especially Thais, must try!
The location, just like the other says, the best on Patong and surrounded by restaurant and convenience store.
I would definitely come back!

Room Tip: try the terrace with lap pool room! Even on the rainy day, you can just chill out on your private te...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo