“Unfortunate Incident”

B-Lay Tong Phuket
Ranked #58 of 321 Hotels in Patong
“Unfortunate Incident”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife and I returned to the hotel after dinner Saturday night. She is Thai. The security guard told her she must leave her ID card at reception. This means that she is categorised as a call-girl. After a lot of anger and then quite some tears, I went to reception and asked the two Thai ladies working there if they expect to be treated as such, and informed thme that this unfortunate incident has just ruined our brief vacation.

We moved to a different hotel next day.

Thankfully, the GM offered his apologies and to compensate us. Unfortunately nothing can satisfactorily compensate for the humiliation and indignity she suffered.

Come on guys - sure there is some monkey business happening back in town, and some of it finds its way to your hotel, but you cannot do this to your ladies! Have some respect . . . please.

I don't think I can reflect very positively about much regarding this hotel, after this ordeal. My wife had travelled from Sydney to be together for 5 days, so we were both quite bitter.

But to be objective, the internet is painfully slow, the bathroom was bit but without adequate storage, the guy at reception on our way out to dinner on the fateful evening told us at 7:25 that we were too late for our complimentary drinks (which were slated to conclude at 7:30!) and after my arguments, he then took us to the bar where we were served correctly - but once again, who wants to argue and negotiate like this on holidays? This is the type of thing you go on holidays to escape, not confront.

After the "unofrtunate incident" we just felt like leaving on the spot, but it was quite late and the duty manager told me she cannot allow us to leave without charging for the night. The GM fixed all this up the next day and offered to apologise personally to my wife - but she refused and just wanted to get out of the place.

7 Thank -AussieTravel-000
BLAYTONG, General Manager at B-Lay Tong Phuket, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Again, please accept our apologies for this miscommunication. Changes have been made to avoid this in the future. Also, we would sincerely wish that you and your wife would offer us another chance. We hope that the rest of journey was pleasant.

Wesley Hayden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Recently stayed at B-Lay Tong for 6 nights, staying in a Spa Balcony Room that faced the beach. The lobby of the hotel was modern and artistic, which was a great feel for the place. Our room view of the beach was mostly blocked by palm trees however still provided a nice view of the pool.

Staff offered a high level of customer service throughout our entire stay and were of the best that I've ever experienced in any hotel. The only hiccup we had was our spa jets initially didn't work, however with a quick phone call to reception, we had a staff member to our room who managed to fix the issue within half an hour.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was amazing as they offered a vast variety of foods. We were really impressed by this. In the deal we bought, the mini bar was included and re-stocked daily as offered.

The cleanliness of the modern style room was impeccable. The deep bath was my favourite amenity however my least favourite was the somewhat stiff, hard bed and that there was no dvd player in the room.

It was about a 10-15min walk to the heart of Pa Tong Beach or a 200BAHT taxi ride to Jungceylon Shopping Mall.

The infinity pool allowed for great photo shots with Pa Tong beach in the background and the pool bar was an awesome feature, even better between 4-6pm during happy hour when it is 2 for 1 drinks (Keep in mind you can't get 2 types of different drinks for this deal, they have to be the same)

If I was ever to return to Pa Tong, I'd most definitely stay at B-Lay Tong again. Overall it was a great experience, with the highest customer service offered and I'd recommend the Spa Balcony Room to any couple.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This hotel focuses on the grounds and art work but the rooms lack comfort and security. We got a deluxe poolside room, room 411. There is no privacy in this room as it's directly across the cafe. Our biggest issue was with the balcony doors. All you have to do is jiggle them about 3 times (open and close) and they will pop right open. We reported this to the front desk and they immediately sent someone to fix it. For about 15 min we had a mechanic in our room trying to fix the door - this was not something we wanted after spending several hours on a flight and another 1 hour taxi drive from the airport. The mechanic had me test the door twice after he "fixed" it, but both times I was able to pop the door open with a few back and forth movements. We called the front desk and had them move us to a room with more privacy and to let the mechanic do his thing. We moved to room 414 down the hall. We tested the balcony doors here too and with a few back and forth movements, the door popped open. At this point we didn't care and accepted the room. We assumed all the poolside doors were like this since they are made of the same devices. The rooms were nice as long as you didn't look at the details.

There were mosquitos in the room every night. I'm not sure if this is the hotels' fault or Phuket in general, but do a check each night because we got eaten alive the first night!

The location is OK since it's right across the beach, however the sewage drains out to the beach which is right across the street from this hotel. This is has nothing to do with the hotel, but just be aware. It is a 15 min walk to food and action.

The shampoo, conditioner, bath wash and lotion are all in fancy, reusable containers. I question if they actually cleaned them out before the previous person used them or just refilled them. I don't think this is very hygienic and would prefer to have my own, new mini bottle of liquids.

The pool is the best part about this hotel. The staff is friendly. For being listed as a 5 star hotel on Agoda, I was very disappointed. I would not stay here again or recommend it.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms were nothing special. Check to see if the balcony doors lock! (jiggle them back and...
5 Thank Jasnl
BLAYTONG, General Manager at B-Lay Tong Phuket, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments, and we would like to invite you to return and to give us another chance.

Your sliding door lock was repaired right away.

They have to be changed routinely due to the salt air, and we are sorry that we did not get to your door before you arrived.

We are proud to avoid using plastic bottles for our amenities, and I wish we could convince you that reusable containers is one of the best ways to do our part for the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I appreciate that keeping a property on the beach front looking new can be a challenge in such a weathering environment but first impressions were that this place was already starting to show its age. For some reason I was expecting a new hotel but it's already starting to look tatty around the edges. Wicker also seems to age quickly in wet climates and so the sun beds around the pool made it all seem a bit more run-down than it probably actually is.

It's a trendy design hotel run by the French hotel group Accor who clearly don't have a cheap "design" brand like Starwood's Aloft but this is the same type of idea. A digression, there was a odd catalogue of Accor hotels in the room that seemed to consist of random properties around the world that had no other common feature than they were not obvious candidates for the group's branded chains Novotel, Mercure or Sofitel.

We were given two rooms next to each other by the side of the main pool. Good sized rooms with a lot of the aforementioned "design" flourishes (green Perspex, iPod dock and a device to throw coloured lights to the ceiling). The bathroom didn't have too many amenities (no toothbrushes and toothpaste or razor and shaving cream) and the shower door leaked water into the main room where it travelled the distance across the whole floor to a drain near the loo.

The free wifi was not the fastest on the planet but but the login was ready when we arrived using my first name and room number as the user name and password and it worked for all our devices simultaneously. Good.

The pool guys were great, made good cocktails (two for the price of one from 4pm) and the snack food was surprisingly all right. The daily free cocktail is a nice touch but they didn't seem to feature much, you know, actual alcohol. As it wasn't included in the room rate we didn't have breakfast (also the comments here didn't make it seem worth making the effort to get up) but there are plenty of places in town to eat.

Given the very many places in Patong to stay, I'm not sure that I'd bother staying here again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard G
I would have to agree with your general comments concerning resorts by the beach.

We continually maintain and repair our buildings, and we usually do the exterior areas after the rainy season.

I will pass on your kind comments to our team.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

The Pros

- Location (Close to Patong beach and Jungceylon shopping mall)
- Modern look
- Polite & welcoming staff
- Fantasy swimming pool
- Complimentary drink
- Generous 30min shower room after check-out
- Nightly live music sessions

The Cons
- Breakfast is expensive and not good
- Wifi is very slow and useless
- Bathroom shower
- Wall cracks are every where!
- No DVD player

Room Tip: Try to get ocean view or the pool side rooms
2 Thank Pollcon
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We arrived at this B-Lay Tong with voucher of booking in hand yet they did not have our reservation! They admitted an error on their end, they had booked us in for some other date. So as they weren't prepared for us, we had to sit around and wait a while in the lobby for them to check us in. There were four of us with two room bookings. They upgrade two of us to a room on the 3rd floor of one building around the back, with a jacuzzi. The other two got upgraded to a different building with a suite. We were told this would be for one night. The next day, us with the jacuzzi (might I add - with brown stains!) were told we could stay in our room but our friends had to check out of theirs at 12pm then check into a room like ours at 2pm. No, we wouldn't get rooms next to each other. We hung around waiting for them to get a new room but at 3pm, still no room was ready! My friends were rather angry as our time was being wasted and they were upgraded to a presidential suite. Kind, but not great for us who are stuck on the other side of the hotel! I questioned how a room with a jacuzzi was an upgrade from the room we booked - pool access. We were told it was because the room was bigger. We were given a room eventually, of the same size, on the ground floor that had direct access to a semi-private pool. Very frustrated that there was so much mucking around and that we were so far away from our friends! We couldn't just simply dash across the hall to see them, we had to cross the grounds and into the lobby then up a couple of floors!
I like the funkiness of the art and furniture and thought it was amusing that you could just about purchase anything in the room. I was disappointed that a 5 star hotel doesn't provide DVD players in the rooms but I was given one upon request. I also requested a bottle opener (why wasn't there one in the room?).. one promptly came.. and left! They couldn't leave it with me. What am I suppose to do - call every time I want a bottle opened?
The pool is nice and has a swim up bar. Views onto the beach.
200baht tuk tuk/taxi ride to Banglar road. It's walkable but about 20-30mins one day and not so pleasant in the heat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
BLAYTONG, General Manager at B-Lay Tong Phuket, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for the feedback, and we apologize for not being able to meet your requests in a timely manner. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed our resort overall.