“skip this hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #166 of 396 Patong B&B and Inns
Wagga Wagga
“skip this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

i stayed at this hotel in March it was my first visit to Phuket so i have little knowledge of accommodation. I read review and selected the hotel. I paid 800 baht to pick up car from airport to hotel ( avarage price is 500 B fro car). the room was tiny with small balcony, No or very poor customer service from the front office satff. the girl in the breakfast can not understand a single word in english or just pretended to be. it seemed to be hotel get staff from rural thailand and employ them for a few months before sending them back. i was tranferred to another room, it had all day boiling hot water only, its horrible to have airconditioner working but only pump hot air in steamy humid night. when complaint about hot water coming all day from every tap in the room, the repair guy came to the room had a2 mins look and commented "you in a 3 start hotel not 5 star, so that what you get. the owner Vitor came to the room but did not much of done to fixed the problem. however he keeps coming to room in pretext of fixing the problem. if you give the credit card they book you room fee before you leave the hotel. i feel something was very wrong in thei hotel so try to avoid this hell hole hotel.

Room Tip: just hang a round the place there are many good hotels in this area
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gamini D
victornorman, Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 15 December 2012
Both Management and staff are sad that we and the hotel did not meet your expectations. All our air conditioning in the rooms is control by the hand held remote and the temperature can be adjust from 18 to 30 degrees. With regard to the hot water this is only available in the shower as is with many hotels in Thailand. The cold water temperature as explained does get warm during the day especially on hot sunny days. If you let the tap run awhile it will soon cool down.But as you commented that you have little knowledge of accommodation therefore I can understand your comments and hope you accept our apologies

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

Clean, average sized rooms that are exactly like in the pictures. My wife and I stayed for 5 nights. Great location, Close enough to everything, but far enough away to be quite.
The construction next door was distracting though.
Avoid the restaurant, we ate breakfast ther twice during our stay, both times was miserable. Poorly prepared food served cold by an inattentive staff, The morning we checked out my wife and I were the only ones in the restaurant and it took 15 min to get a cup of coffee.
The bartender had no knowledge of spirits, but was qualified to open a bottle of beer and would even bring it to you when he got around to it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Thaddeus11212
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Thaddesus 11212,
Thank you for your review I note that you are shown as a Senior reviewer which means that your review has some weight. We apologize for the ongoing construction during your stay which has now thankfully finished. However we took your experience in our restaurant to heart and have now instigated many training sessions with the staff. I assure you if you visit us again you will find the staff much more knowledgeable about spirits and that the food will be served hot and by a trained cook. Reviews such as yours are extremely helpful to management and staff to understand where they are wrong and are appreciated just as much as are the excellent reviews we often get. I hope you get chance to stay with us again and see the difference your review has made.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

I'm currently staying at this hotel from 10-13 Dec 2011. What I love this hotel - VERY GOOD location (just 5 mins away from Jungceylon), FREE wifi at your room and spacious room. What I hate is - NO Breakfast buffet (We got the rooms with breakfast but instead, we can only order from eggs, toast and coffee/tea), super bad view (our room is in front of a construction site!) and no hot shower. If you're like me who is mostly away during the day and likes to be near the main shopping area, I would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Alriduan,
Thank you for your review of our hotel, Your comments regarding the free WiFi and location are appreciated just as much as your comments regarding the breakfast. As a a result of your comments during High and Peak season we are serving an international buffet breakfast. Freshly cooked breakfast not only the full English breakfast with back bacon, sausages, fried potatoes, baked beans etc is now available with lots of alternatives for those who cannot eat pork are now offered during low season. Again sorry about the nearby construction which has now been completed, but in Patong you are never very far away from new construction as the town is continuously growing.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

I am actually sitting in the restaurant of the hotel where I just finished my halfhearted breakfast - 195 bht for a small bowl off muesli, a warm juice and a coffee.

The reason of my disappointment is that my friend and I were promised a seaview or pool view from the room. Instead we look directly into the window of the opposite building, which is only 1.5 meters apart. We can literally sit from our beds and watch their tv.

The location is not what we were promised as it is in center of town but hidden away in the back of an alley.

The toiletseat in our room was also not clean - a very important thing to clean!

After all, my review is based on the first 24 hours, but just had to get it out... We still have 3 more days here and I will ofcourse follow up if needed. The receptionist was smiling when we came, I sure hope that I can resurect my first impression.

Mark

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank m2ceesay
Dear M2ee3say,
Thank you for your review, we too are disappointed that you did right this review at the start of your stay and eventuallly enjoyed your stay with us. But it would be unfair of me not to point out to our future guests reading this, that in addition to the Muesli. Juice and Coffee we do offer a full English breakfast with Bacon, Sausage, fried potatoes, baked beans, toast etc for the 195 Baht. Unfortunately we have limited non pork dishes. We will look into this and if find their is sufficient demand offer More than an our Asia breakfast with rice soup, fried noodle, or fried rice, Cereals, fresh fruit, and the English breakfast. I suppose perception is everything, Many of our guests love the location in the center of Patong but located in a quiet area. I know that you change your impression of the hotel and thank you for letting me know.
Victor

Travellers are raving about these Patong hotels

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

The hotel room was very clean and comfortable and looked just like the pictures on the website. We had a small balcony which was convenient for hanging togs and beach towels out on. Hemingways was about a 15 minute walk to Patong Beach. There is a convenience store about 20m down the road which was great for buying bottled water or snacks from.

We didn't have breakfast included in our room price but ate at the Hemingways restaurant a couple of times and were happy with our meals but we were more interested in eating authentic Thai food. The restaurant had happy hour from 4pm with 100 baht cocktails. Loved it!

Make sure if you book a tour that you give the exact address of the hotel and that they know where it is. One driver was quite late to pick us up because they couldn't find the place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Heltho 2603,
Thank you for your review, Your comments are echoed by many guests that the rooms look exactly the same as shown on the internet. You would be delighted to hear that the promotion on cocktails now at 99 Baht is on all day. Though its probably not good for the liver, but its certainly good for the pocket. We were sorry about the tour you booked being late because the driver could not find the hotel, I would recommend guests to use the hotel staff to book your tours often we give better rates that the tour shops. (but check out the prices first with the tours companies then compare with what the hotel offers I am sure many guests would be surprised..
Love to have you come and stay with us again.
Mumbai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

I stayed in Hemingways Hotel for a night with my husband on our way from Phuket to the Phi Phi Islands. Selected this hotel after reading the reviews on trip advisor. We emailed the owner Mr. Victor Hulme and made our booking directly through the hotel website. Unfortunately he could not provide us with a cheap car pick up from the airport to his hotel ( THB 700 was his price) so we took a taxi for THB 600 from the Airport directly.

The hotel is in a lane which has a series of 2 star and 3 star hotels, so am sure they are all of the same rate. Its about 10 mins walking from the Patong Beach and 5 mins from the bars. Sadly it happened to be the birthday of the King of Thailand the day we landed which meant a dry day, so most of the bars were empty if not shut!

The lady who sits at the reception counter could barely understand a single word of english! No bell boy available to carry your luggage to your room either. When we checked in, we realised we were given 2 single beds instead of a single double bed. We brought this to the notice of Mr. Victor that we were a couple and were on our honeymoon which was specifically mentioned when we made the booking via email, but he shrugged his shoulders saying he couldnt do much as the hotel was full!

The room was pretty tiny but clean and neat including the bathroom. The small terrace provided with the room overlooked a much fancier hotel and a gorgeous view of the mountains.

We were taking an 8 am ferry to the Phi Phi islands and our pick up was at 7 am from the hotel itself. So that we wouldnt miss our pick up, we asked the reception to give us a wake up call at 6 am. Surprise surprise...there was no wake up call at 6 am (thank goodness for our alarm!) and on going downstairs for breakfast at 6.30 am, we find the reception boy fast asleep! The complimentary breakfast included juice, cereals, eggs and toast.

Overall a very basic hotel, and considering there are many more hotels in the area that are equally cheap, I wouldnt hesitate trying the other ones too.

Room Tip: Insist what type of bed you want and double check
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Salz00
Dear Saiz,
Thank you for your review I was sorry to read that you thought there was nothing great about it, But relieved when I read your all your reviews and realized that probably your expectations were a little too high for Thailand. I took to looking at your comments more seriously. I do apologize for the failings of the hotel with regard to your request for early morning call, As I know it can be complicated when using the hotel telephone system to make an automatic early call. whilst I know it sounds petty of me but our breakfast is not served until 7am. which is shown in the room directory of services. Thank you for your comments.
Kassel, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

My girl friend and I stayed here for 1 night as walk ins. Wanted to stay upto 5 nights but found out after a couple of hours that their internet speed was just too slow. I need to be online for my work and simply could not afford that it took upto 10 minutes to open a single page throughout the building. I informed the staff bout this problem and was told that this was down to the bad weather. The funny thing was though that I noticed that the receptionist was playing on you tube at the front desk pc for some time which seemed to work fine. May be that took away the speed for the rest of the building? Also the tiles in the shower section of the bathroom were very slippery. This could be dangerous for accidents. Our room was quiet and clean though and the staff was very friendly to us. A slight problem with the aircon was taken care of almost immediately. I would return providing the high speed internet problem would be sorted. We found another hotel nearby with a good speed.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J B
victornorman, Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
Thank you for your kind review. In response to your problem regarding the free Wi Fi connection, We have now a WAP login to provent the system from being slowed by unauthorised use from persons outside the hotel. For sometime now we have been aware of the slippery bathroom floor and as such the tiles will shortly be treated to reduce this problem.
Thank you again for your kind feed back.