“Checkout was terrible”

Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach
Ranked #260 of 411 Patong B&B and Inns
“Checkout was terrible”
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Let me start to say that until the last moment I thought I found my new favorite hotel in Patong but in 15min it changed to be a hotel that I will never stay at again.

The room is small but beautiful.
The prices are good.
Location is nice.

BUT. When I was going to checkout at 6am the man doing the checkout wanted to charge me 4000b more then planned. Luckily my girlfriend speaks Thai and could tell him that it couldn't be correct. After recounting it was 1600b wrong and finally 3b wrong.. All this would probably gone better if he was not DRUNK!
The 3b wrong came from him managed to press 3 instead if 0 when calculating!
Looking at the other staff sitting outside I could see the beer bottles and also smell at him. Also he could not charge the whole stay on credit card so I had to pay some in cash.

So I will not come back.
But I want to give a big plus to the cleaners that made our room very beautiful before we come with roses on the bed and everything. Very romantic.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LifeOnTheRun
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear LifeOnTheRun,
It was so good of you to write a review however I was so sad to read your review and sincerely apologise for our night staff. Be assured that we will take the necessary action regarding his obvious blatant disregard of the hotel rules for drinking whilst on duty. Its such a shame as all other our staff get good reviews from our guests. I would appreciate if you could email me at gm@hemingwayshotel with the date and time of your check out so that I can ensure we discipline the correct person.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We are currently guests at this hotel and have been more than pleased with the courtesy of the staff, the cleanliness and the location. Nothing is too much bother and we very much look forward to the remainder of our stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Wndy J.
Thank you so very much for your kind review. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your stay with us. If there is anything we can help you with please do not hesitate to ask. We hope you will come and stay with us again.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed for 4 nights on March 2012.

We reach the hotel at night. Since it was night, the reception was empty. we have to wait for about 30 mins for someone to finally greet us. (there was no bell to call). Then checkin was quick. One friendly lady (receptionist) even showed us our room and explained to us on the room condition.

Pros:
Location! Location! Location!
Just 5 mins walk to the famous Bangla Road.
10 mins walk to Patong Beach.
15 mins walk to Jungceylon Mall
Eventhough the hotel was close enough from clubs and bars and mainroad, our nights never been noisy from noise. So, our sleep nights never been better!
Complimentary mineral water.

Cons:
Our bathroom is quite dirty on our 1st night. there's soap in our sink.
No breakfast provided. - hard to find breakfast at Patong Beach
Food is quite pricey at Patong area.

TIps:
Rent a scooter!
you can find cheaper food and the best food if you go around with your scooter!
There's a night market infront of Muay Thai Stadium (10mins walk) - Very Cheap and yummy food! can get as low as 20 bath per plate!
Want to swimm? Go to Kata Beach! beautiful and clean golden sands

Will i come back? Definitely YES!
Will i recommend to my friends? I already did!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MazMansur
Dear MazMansur,
Thank you so much for your kind review. So sorry that you had to wait at our reception. As you appreciate we only have one receptionist during the late evening even so 30 minutes is too long to wait. I will speak to the staff to ensure that the reception is not left unattended for such a long period of time. Thank you too about your comment that the bathroom was not clean. I will ask the housekeeping to double check the rooms as is the procedure before guests check in. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location suitable and quiet for you to sleep. Breakfast is available from 7am to 10.30 am and all day breakfast is available from the al carte menu
We hope you will return and stay with us soon.
Wien
Reviewed 28 November 2013

It is a 20 minute walk from the beach, however you need to walk through a road construction site, which may be a challenge, especially after dark. Reasonably clean, staff not very helpful but mainly because of lack of language skills. Wifi is not working well, more like hit or miss. A bit overpriced for what it offers. I was annoyed by some of the earlier reviews, evidently over-enthusiastic and inflated - I would like to think that the hotel itself has nothing to do with them, but somehow find it hard to believe it.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear MTcubaeagle,
Thank you for your review I note you are a senior contributor to trip advisor.and we respect the views of well travelled person such as your self, There is no road construction outside the hotel. However the local authority is installing drainage to prevent flood and re surfacing of the main road which is fine if a take a left turn on the main road to the beach you can avoid the construction work. The rest of the main road near the hotel toward the shopping area will probably be completed in the next few days and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. I can assure you that the hotel does not in anyway manipulate the reviews posted on TripAvsior. as many of our guests do not even write reviews. The internet connection and speed is a constant problem within the island of Phuket. And during certain hours of the day even the hotel LAN system cannot connect. Our internal wfi system has receivers placed on each floor and guests are advised to connect to the number on which floor they are located. We are currently evaluating changing our system to fibre optic but from reports of hotels who currently use it they still occasionally have problems.
Victor

Travellers are raving about these Patong hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Had a great time in Patong, and to start and end the day in a high-quality hotel, one word: priceless. It is obvious that management cares to maintain this property from rooms to dining, to a well-trained staff, and as my seasoned eye is cursed to find imperfections, I ended up with a very relaxing and uneventful stay at this property. Can't say enough good about the staff from housekeeping to front desk... room cleaned to standard while minding my belongings; and front desk staff couldn't do enough to recommend dining, travel, and tours that all turned out to be exceptional. I see i'm not the only one who has stayed at Hemingways and thought highly of it.... sorry to see a bad review from 'Chuck'....can't help thinking if one wants to get away from progress they should journey to Gilligan's Island and live in a hut!! lol (sorry Chuck, you are beloved, ntl!!) Service, quality, value and attentiveness are my grading criteria, and because all were outstanding, I will be back. Thanks again, Hemingways staff!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Nicholas R.
Thank you so much for your glowing review, I do like to think that we (the management and staff) try to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay. Reviews like yours really boosts our staff morale and help them to try even harder. Thank you once again for taking the time to complete such lovely review. We hope you will come again soon.
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a group of boys on a lads holiday to Phuket for a week. Location is perfect as it is close to the beach, shopping centre and more importantly for us the famous Patong Nightlife. With our budget mainly there for drinking the hotel was great value for money and the service they provided us as a group was impecable. Will definately be back again and recommending Hemingways Hotel to friends.

• Stayed November 2013
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Stevenharrispk,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many of our guests do comment on the hotel excellent location being close to the nightlife, shopping and nearby to the beach yet being in a quiet area. We look forward to your return.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The hotel is a short walk from Jungceylon Shopping Mall. However, you will have to walk along a main road that has *really heavy* construction going on. The path is rocky, and muddy when wet, absolutely not ideal as you can imagine. The hotel room is small and there is not much natural light as the balcony faces another building. With the dark colored furniture, the room seems a bit dreary. There were also visible stains on some of the furniture, and lack of interesting channels on the TV. The free Wifi in the room is spotty, and repeatedly drops off after a while. Frustrating! The only saving grace is that the room is well-cleaned by the staff daily.

Initially, we booked to stay for three nights. When my partner was bathing on the second night, the water supply was cut off and she was stuck in the shower for almost 2 hours before the water supply came back and she could resume my shower! When I called the reception a few times to check on the water supply, the lady at the reception got impatient and rudely slammed the phone down after answering my questions. This was customer service at its worst! And by the time the whole thing was resolved, it was almost close to 3 hours, which meant that we had to unhappily drop our plans to go out for the night. Obviously, the next morning, we requested to cancel the booking for the third night as we were unhappy with the service. But at least the manager seems to be quite understanding and informed that we could do so through the agent with whom we booked the room from to request for a refund. Hopefully we will not encounter any further issues with the cancellation and refund.

Based on our experience, this hotel does not live up to the standards said in some of the puzzling reviews below -- definitely not recommended, until the management fully addresses all the issues above.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear Geektux,
Thank you for your review we are so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I apologize for the road works along the main road for around 50 meters where the local authority is installing a new drainage sysem to prevent flooding in the surrounding area. Most of the road will be completed very shortly. The room styles are a modern Thai style with the emphaisis on fitted wooden furniture and large queen size beds as shown in our Photographs on the website. May I apologiize if you found our reception staff was impatient with you. I will be taking up this matter to ensure all complaining guests are dealt with in a polite mannner. I am also sorry that the you found the 80 channels available on the cable TV uninteresting. Whilst I again apologise for the loss of water supply again this was unfortunate but due to the loss of the main supply we normally truck water in which should take around one hour however due to the high demand from all the effected hotels it took longer. I trust that you travel agent refunded your cancellation. If not kindly contact me.