“Good location and that is all”

Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach
Ranked #210 of 406 Patong B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Good location and that is all”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel from the 22th to 26th of Jan, 2014. The hotel is in a good location but the rooms are very small and the breakfast is very POOR as well as the WIFI. There is no service at all in this hotel and it seems that the manager is simply taking care of only the new hotel that they just built(and not at this one). The worst thing in this hotel is that: the washroom is very small and the the shower is set up in a way that there is NO bathtub so the ENTIRE washroom gets wet and dirty every time we take a shower. (That is why they don't show you the picture of the washroom on the website, it is ridiculously small and cramped). For us this is only a ONE star Hotel. It was a very unpleasant and extremely aggravating experience. Please do not believe all the good reviews in TripAdvisor for this hotel or you will be disappointed like us when you stay here! Highly not recommended, bad bad bad bad customer service, and an overall unpleasant experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alex8L
Victor H, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear ALex8L,
Thank you for your review of our hotel, I was sorry to read that your were disappointed with your stay and I am sorry that you found your room very small they are actually 19 square meters plus the bathroom 2.9 2m. With the balcony at 2 square meter. The bathrooms are a typical Asian wet room style with open showers, we often get comments on the guests on how they enjoy the hot powerful shower which as you says does wet the bathroom floor. We will definitely be placing pictures of our bathrooms on our website sorry that we missed it before.. All our other hotels do have pictures of bathrooms and our suite rooms at Patong Hemingway's have bath tubs. For future intended guests reading this please check out our web sites for Patong Hemingway’s, Hemingway’s and Hemingway’s Silk Hotel for Pictures and details of our hotels in Phuket. I would be grateful if you could contact me direct to give me further information on the services in which you were dissatisfied enabling me to make any necessary corrections or improvements.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This is about my 4th time staying here since 2011 and this was my longest stay so far. Really needed 2 weeks R&R and I got it. The rooms are great quality vs. others in Patong and the water pressure alone from their showers keeps me coming back! Yes, power and water go out now and then, this happens throughout Patong and is just part of the fast growth in the area. I sometimes stay at their other location on Soi San Sabiw which has a pool....but either way, you get to use the rooftop pool & bar which is the other reason I like the place. The restaurant quality is hit or miss and could be better frankly. Victor and his manager Sorn (thank you for your help on my parking ticket!!) do a great job to make things right if they don't go right the first time. See you all again this summer.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear 44WOrldtraveller2,
Thank you for you very kind review we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was nice to see you again and hope you will stay with us soon at either of our hotels. I think you may like our new hotel "Hemingway's Silk" which is due to open soon. As always we will ensure that our quality rooms remain with the renowned water pressure in the showers.
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Came here for my wives birthday. Hotel staff is very rude. Don't be surprised if you get shouted at by staff at the breakfast table. Worst experience I ever had. One more day to stay in this hotel. Let's see how it goes

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Wanderlust_SG83
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Wanderlust_SG83,
Thank you so much for your review telling us about the problem you encountered with our lady staff in the restaurant. We truly apologize for this incident and have taken steps to prevent a re-occurrence of this type. We hope that the rest of your stay with us was satisfactory. Dear future guests reading this please feel at ease to contact the hotel manager at anytime if you feel you have received unsatisfactory service from any of our staff.
Victor

Travellers are raving about these Patong hotels

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Let me start to say that until the last moment I thought I found my new favorite hotel in Patong but in 15min it changed to be a hotel that I will never stay at again.

The room is small but beautiful.
The prices are good.
Location is nice.

BUT. When I was going to checkout at 6am the man doing the checkout wanted to charge me 4000b more then planned. Luckily my girlfriend speaks Thai and could tell him that it couldn't be correct. After recounting it was 1600b wrong and finally 3b wrong.. All this would probably gone better if he was not DRUNK!
The 3b wrong came from him managed to press 3 instead if 0 when calculating!
Looking at the other staff sitting outside I could see the beer bottles and also smell at him. Also he could not charge the whole stay on credit card so I had to pay some in cash.

So I will not come back.
But I want to give a big plus to the cleaners that made our room very beautiful before we come with roses on the bed and everything. Very romantic.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LifeOnTheRun
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear LifeOnTheRun,
It was so good of you to write a review however I was so sad to read your review and sincerely apologise for our night staff. Be assured that we will take the necessary action regarding his obvious blatant disregard of the hotel rules for drinking whilst on duty. Its such a shame as all other our staff get good reviews from our guests. I would appreciate if you could email me at gm@hemingwayshotel with the date and time of your check out so that I can ensure we discipline the correct person.
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We are currently guests at this hotel and have been more than pleased with the courtesy of the staff, the cleanliness and the location. Nothing is too much bother and we very much look forward to the remainder of our stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Wndy J.
Thank you so very much for your kind review. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your stay with us. If there is anything we can help you with please do not hesitate to ask. We hope you will come and stay with us again.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed for 4 nights on March 2012.

We reach the hotel at night. Since it was night, the reception was empty. we have to wait for about 30 mins for someone to finally greet us. (there was no bell to call). Then checkin was quick. One friendly lady (receptionist) even showed us our room and explained to us on the room condition.

Pros:
Location! Location! Location!
Just 5 mins walk to the famous Bangla Road.
10 mins walk to Patong Beach.
15 mins walk to Jungceylon Mall
Eventhough the hotel was close enough from clubs and bars and mainroad, our nights never been noisy from noise. So, our sleep nights never been better!
Complimentary mineral water.

Cons:
Our bathroom is quite dirty on our 1st night. there's soap in our sink.
No breakfast provided. - hard to find breakfast at Patong Beach
Food is quite pricey at Patong area.

TIps:
Rent a scooter!
you can find cheaper food and the best food if you go around with your scooter!
There's a night market infront of Muay Thai Stadium (10mins walk) - Very Cheap and yummy food! can get as low as 20 bath per plate!
Want to swimm? Go to Kata Beach! beautiful and clean golden sands

Will i come back? Definitely YES!
Will i recommend to my friends? I already did!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MazMansur
Dear MazMansur,
Thank you so much for your kind review. So sorry that you had to wait at our reception. As you appreciate we only have one receptionist during the late evening even so 30 minutes is too long to wait. I will speak to the staff to ensure that the reception is not left unattended for such a long period of time. Thank you too about your comment that the bathroom was not clean. I will ask the housekeeping to double check the rooms as is the procedure before guests check in. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location suitable and quiet for you to sleep. Breakfast is available from 7am to 10.30 am and all day breakfast is available from the al carte menu
We hope you will return and stay with us soon.
Wien
Reviewed 28 November 2013

It is a 20 minute walk from the beach, however you need to walk through a road construction site, which may be a challenge, especially after dark. Reasonably clean, staff not very helpful but mainly because of lack of language skills. Wifi is not working well, more like hit or miss. A bit overpriced for what it offers. I was annoyed by some of the earlier reviews, evidently over-enthusiastic and inflated - I would like to think that the hotel itself has nothing to do with them, but somehow find it hard to believe it.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear MTcubaeagle,
Thank you for your review I note you are a senior contributor to trip advisor.and we respect the views of well travelled person such as your self, There is no road construction outside the hotel. However the local authority is installing drainage to prevent flood and re surfacing of the main road which is fine if a take a left turn on the main road to the beach you can avoid the construction work. The rest of the main road near the hotel toward the shopping area will probably be completed in the next few days and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. I can assure you that the hotel does not in anyway manipulate the reviews posted on TripAvsior. as many of our guests do not even write reviews. The internet connection and speed is a constant problem within the island of Phuket. And during certain hours of the day even the hotel LAN system cannot connect. Our internal wfi system has receivers placed on each floor and guests are advised to connect to the number on which floor they are located. We are currently evaluating changing our system to fibre optic but from reports of hotels who currently use it they still occasionally have problems.