“Nice hotel, close to Beach, bars and shops” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bangkok Residence

Bangkok Residence
Ranked #116 of 396 Patong B&B and Inns
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Nice hotel, close to Beach, bars and shops”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

This hotel is a nice basic hotel. Staff are helpful, rooms are a bit small, but clean, Good sized fridge, but small safe. While I could not hear the music in a previous review, my room faced the street and there was an all night street stall outside, which made it noisy from the patrons, as well as scooters up and down the road all night - not the fault of the hotel, but something to be aware of. Maybe a room at the rear of the hotel would be better. 5-10 minutes walk to Bangla Road bars, Patong Beach, and Jungceylon shopping centre. Good bars nearby for a more quiet drink

Room Tip: Find a room not facing the main street
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

We actually booked our 2 rooms here after making enquries the day before and believing it had a pool. After we checked in, the boys headed straight off to the pool for a swim, but it didn't exist! What had happened was that the brochure they had given us was for their partner hotel elsewhere,which had a pool, not this one. We just assumed the brochure they gave us was for the hotel we were in, as you would. Oh well, no pool, not a big drama.
The rooms were all nice and clean. We had specifically asked for rooms on the "quiet" side, as we didn't want street noise if we could help it and I am a light sleeper. They had quite a few vacancies, so we didn't think it would be a problem. We stressed the importance of a good nights sleep. They either didn't care or didn't understand because that night we discovered our rooms were right above a night club! We asked if we could move the next day but they just seemed to ignore us? It wasn't that they were rude in any way. I just think they have very limited english and no hotel skills/experience. There were alot of blank looks and no responses to our questions etc. It was a very casual attitude in general, there was no hurry for anything. Lucky we weren't in a hurry the night our keys stopped working. All they had to do was reset them on the computer, but because one person arrived to check in, everything came to a stand still. We had to wait nearly half an hour! I would hate to see them on a busy day!
Breakfast was included and was really good!
Free wifi was good when it worked. It dropped out quite a bit.
The shower was terrible! It cycled in pattern of scalding hot to cold. It never levelled out. I ended up having baths instead.
To pay by card, you had to up to the restaurant as there were no facilities in the lobby which I thought was strange.
Smoking is permitted in the hallways and lobby which being a non smoker, I didn't like at all. We didn't realise at 1st because there was no one there, but when we came back from a day out there were even people smoking with ashtrays on the counter. Eww.
Just before we checked out on our last day, we both paid separately the balance on our rooms. I told them I drank a can of lemonade which they added to the bill. No problem. As we were about to get in our taxi, the receptionist called me over to the front desk. I went to see what she wanted and she just pointed to a docket. I told her I just paid for my drink a minute ago. She pointed again and said 55 baht. I had no idea what she was talking about as I definatlely did not drink their "evian". My room was missing the complimentary water on the 1st day so my fault for not checking the rest of the fridge too. I tried to explain this to her and even offered her one my remaining bottles of water from a bulk pack I bought down the road during my stay. Just when I thought she finally believed me she just pointed to the docket again! My friend just gave her the money, but I didn't want to just on principal.
I later found out that my mum in the other room had tried to pay for some nuts they ate, only to be told they didn't eat them and therefore weren't allowed to pay for them!
Overall, I would say this could be a great hotel if the staff maybe get trained more in the hospitality and service industry. This would help them immensely.
I would recommend this hotel to party goers who don't care about sleep much. It is close to everything. The location is perfect for Bangla Rd party goers!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

This hotel is acceptable in terms of value for money; at just 1900baht/night for a double room, its really affordable.
It is also just minutes from a major shopping area and the beach.

My major gripe:
1. my room was located on the side above a street rife with night clubs blasting music all night, and filled with party goers screaming and shouting, which was annoying and woke me up through the night. (The other side is quiet and fine)

2. Sleep quality is further compromised by the noisy aircon compressors being located INSIDE the room behind some cupboards.

3. Room cleanliness is not to my liking because of a constant stench in the room and the floor felt dusty so I had to move ard the room in slippers.

4. Reception staff were not helpful in arranging for bell boys to carry our luggages (do they even exist? I don't know)

5. I found tiny cockroaches in my milk served at the morning breakfast

6. When we checked out, the staff miscalculated the total amount to be paid and called us after we left to transfer additional to them (what kind of service is this?)

7. Shower water is weak and isn't able of maintaining reasonable water temp. - it goes really hot and then cold while showering.

There's little that's left to be said about its positive points except that
1. It is affordable for its location
2. Room services are prompt

In the end some of us checked out to the Royal Paradise Hotel which has a much quieter, clean, comfortable environment and a great view of the beach at the 16th floor, which was great for fireworks at the new year countdown to 2011.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Bhubaneshwar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

Its 5 mins walkgin from the Best Beach(patong) in Phuket.Hotel is Spic and Span,the Rooms are Luvly,all the amenities at a very reasonable rate for families and freinds travelin2gether. Its 2 mins walkin from the best party spots in Phuket,a very comfy and cozy place to stay....The best deal available for those expecting a room with all the amenitities of a 3-4star at a cheap rate.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family