“Wouldn't Go back !”
Review of The Gallery Hotel

The Gallery Hotel
Ranked #21 of 409 Patong B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I booked this hotel based on the positive reviews online n photos of rooms i saw online .
The booking process was smooth , we arrived without a hassle , lovely area , nice hotel decor (lobby area) , there's a lift too . We were allotted rooms and at 1h of the A/C being on , there was 20% cooling , this continued till 4hours then 8hours n that night we were sleepless , the room just wouldn't cool more than a 40% or so . Phuket weather in April is a braveheart's task .
What i liked is , their trouble-shooter Poy from next door immediately offered to shift us , she said 'What matters to me is you guys get good sleep,we'll see in the morning' .
we obliged , the cooling was def better in this room but there is a weird positioning of Airconditioners in almost all rooms n hence the rooms wouldnt cool completely .

Let me get to one of the Front Desk guys , he is such a mess , not sure what the attitude is about> mind you i am not referring to a kind hearted female attendee 'Monicha' who is much much better n knew her job well .

I would have never booked this hotel had anybody mentioned about the A/c issues in the rooms , i mean with the price we paid that was the least we expected . I'm sorry to say this but look no further than the 4-5 properties just next door ,your money would be more well spent .

Coing back to the good - The Location is amazing , the thai massage place upfront n the Cafe is a blessing , the Bike Rental Guy 'Ho' became our friend and was very very kind throughout .

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Gallery Hotel

Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed at The Gallery Hotel for 5 nights on honeymoon. Located on a small no through street so nice and quiet. 5-10 minute walk to Patong beach, 10-15 minute walk to Bangla Road. When we checked into our room we were pleasantly surprised to find our bed had been decorated with rose petals. The room is not very big but was absolutely fine for the 2 of us, large comfortable bed, dressing table and chair, quiet air conditioning. The en-suite bathroom is a fair size with a good shower. Small balcony with 1 chair. There is a small swimming pool with a jacuzzi seat, 1.5 metres deep so be careful with children, there is no shallow end, 3 sunbeds. The hotel has a lift but there are a few steps from the street to the lobby. No bar or dining facilities in the hotel but plenty nearby. Small car park.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2013

First of all, it's a nicely-decorated and clean hotel. The photos on its website are exactly what it is like in reality. The double-room where I spent a three-night stay is not only spacious but cozy, making us feel relaxed and comfortable after full-day trips to the islands.

Actually, we just stayed at night for sleep. We went out all day for island trips and come back for a while before we continued to discovered the exciting night life in Patong area where the hotel is located. Great location is an added value as from the hotel you can walk to many interesting areas, including the Bang La road - the most exciting road in Patong area. The service at hotel is okay. Staff could speak English well enough to understand. I still remember there is a girl who explained and talked to me about the city tour, very helpful and friendly. The service is not perfect, but acceptable in general. There is a small swimming pool with jacuzzi, lovely but the water is a bit too cold, better to swim at noon.

The price is reasonable enough. Around 50USD a night (peak season). You can get a better price nearby guesthouses but I am not sure about quality and service.

Phuket is a great place to visit. The beaches are beautiful. The island trips highly recommended are trips to Phang Nga Bay (full day) and Phi Phi Island (full day). The price is significantly varied from one travel agent to another one, so remember to check and bargain for the best price (to me, it should not cost more than 1,400 baht per per trip). There are two options for the two trips: big boat and speedboat. I recommend you take the speedboat because it's fast and carries less people. Of course, the price of speedboat is a bit more expensive. Not a big deal if you could bargain. Contact me if you need more information about the tour to Phuket: xuanhiep@vnsmail.com.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2012

New and clean, but not Thai style. All of the facilities work very well - the shower, toilet, quiet AC. Strong water pressure - and I was on the 4th floor. Great location - in the midst of everything but far enough off the main street to avoid the noise. Sure the staff is unfriendly but we found them to be knowledgable, efficient, prepared, intelligent, accomodating, trustworthy and honest. For example - they always had change, they arranged transportation without ripoffs. Also, they upgraded our room for free without pause when the lower class rooms we asked for were full. Other Thai hotels would say, with a sweet smile "sorry sir, lower class rooms are full, we only have upper class available for 1000 baht more". The grumpy little gay man at the front desk checked us in and out faster than any hotel I can remember, and handled all our questions very quickly and correctly. Cheers to you, grumpy gay man! Sometimes you just don't want to be bothered with mindless, probing, [--] conversation.
Other good: Big comfortable bed. Unique modern style for Thailand.
Other bad: pool was very small and shaded and looked like it should have been a hotel lobby water feature (but it was nice & clean). No free Wifi (100 baht/day). During a heavy rain the street outside flooded and the sewer overflowed, so there was murky smelly water that we had to walk thru - yuk.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2012

This hotel is conveniently situated between the beach, Jung Ceylon shopping center and Soi Bangla;

First of all the staff at the desk. It has been mentioned before on this site and I can confirm one of the male staff is a complete disaster. Totally unmannered, indifferent, grumpy, arrogant etc. Very un-Thai and an emberassment for the industry as a whole. My impression is that he is either family or well related to the owner of this place or he is the owner. Otherwise I cannot imagine why someone would have a person like that chasing away so many customers. The other staff are actually quite friendly but no one exceeds average.

The rooms are ok, the beds and shower even very good, but not very clean. Upon arrival my bathroom was stained with several brown spots of water and muddy stuff. Dust was all over the place and my over all impression is that general indifference of the Gallery crew causes this hotel to wear of sooner than it has to. Yesterday my room was cleaned and I found my sheets full with stains. To prevent myself from trouble I made some pictures of it to have some proof when needed.

The pool in the lobby is a joke. It's nothing more than an oversized bathtub. The same goes for the balcony, if you have one. I moved to another room because I didn't have one and then found out the balcony was a 1 square meter crampy place where the aircon motor was blowing out it's hot air. Not a very nice place to have your late night beer and / or cigar(ette)

Several hotels I have stayed in in this area proof that service can be much better as well as cleanliness and overall experience.

Room Tip: If you don't mind being treated incorrectly and a good bed and shower is all you need, you have...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Larzz
Reviewed 4 November 2012

A great place to stay. Clean and very cheap and also not far from the main street where u can find many place to eat and massage. Love the hotel! Worth the money but better go in october cause after 31st october evrything is very expensive in phuket.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The Gallery Hotel is very clean and modern and located at the end of small soi off the main road. Location is fantastic as you are no more than a few minutes walk from restaurants, Bangla road and a short cut to the beach.
You get a good king sized bed and the room is cleaned daily. A/C works silently to keep you at a very comfortable temperature. Be aware that this hotel is no frills and offers top notch basics but not much more. The pool is nice, rooms are comfortable and clean although sound travels through the hallways and the doors. Noisy neighbours are nuisance but i suppose thats no fault of the hotel.
Staff is robotic and not very friendly, not sure if it is because of a lack of English or just the way they are. One of the girls is smiley and friendly, the others not so much.
Be mindful of the fact that the water supply is trucked in which is sort of a reminder to conserve where you can. Otherwise the shower is hot, toilets flush well and water runs freely. Drinking water is provided and replenished daily as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo