“Awesome! Please read!”

Ranked #51 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Singapore, Singapore
“Awesome! Please read!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed in 1 bedroom suite from 18 Jan 2014 - 21 Jan 2014, together with my girlfriend.

Before I came to this hotel, I read many negative reviews about this place, but still, decided to give it a go, and was definitely NOT disappointed! Strongly recommended, read on for more on my experience.

When I arrived at the hotel, service was already great. The GM of the hotel Robin Lee, came out personally to greet us hotel guests waiting for check in. I arrived way earlier than my check-in time but the staff allowed me to check in at around 11 am. I was told to have a seat in the lobby while the staff took my passport to arrange for the check in. Complimentary drinks came almost immediately after I sat down and soon enough, there was a porter assigned to bring us to our room in a mini bus even though the room is just a walking distance away. (Please note the whole hotel area itself is quite huge.)

When we reached our room, the porter then gave a brief introduction of our room, telling us how the safe and the jacuzzi work, and where can we find the items such as towels and hair dryer, etc. Room is spacious, looks beautiful and clean, no issue. The breakfast buffet was also great.

Things I think I need to clarify to do justice to this hotel.

1. Jacuzzi: It is not a heated jacuzzi but its perfectly fine considering the price for the hotel.
2. Firm bed: I read reviews earlier saying how terrible the bed is but honestly I feel its good, Its just not the very soft kind the most hotels have but rather the more support and firm kind.
3. Service: Most the the staff are not rude but they don't understand English very well, thus many people deem them as rude in the past reviews. Service was actually great if you ask me.

Location wise, the hotel is located at the top of the hill, very serene and quiet, which was nice. However, it is quite far from eateries and convenient stores, not really a walking distance. There is however, a free hourly transport, to and fro, by the hotel to Patong city and beach.

Things to watch out for

1. If you're planning to make local calls in this hotel, its going to be expensive (20/baht/min). I recommend those heading there to get a sim card instead.
2. If want to save a little do not use the chartered transport at the hotel as it is quite expensive. I would recommend you to take the free transport to Patong town and take a taxi from there instead.

Overall, I had a pleasant vacation in Sea Pearl Villas Hotel and I would strongly recommend it to anyone that is going to have a vacation in Phuket. My girlfriend and I love our time there and cant bear to head home!

Special thanks to GM, Robin Lee for making my vacation a successful one !

From Jeremy, Grey Neo
Delighted and Satisfied Guest.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JeremyGrey
Robin L, General Manager at Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear JeremyGrey,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor and having chosen to stay with us even though you have read many negative comments about our resort on Tripadvisor. Most of all, thank you for strongly recommending our resort and clarifying a few issues on our behalf.

I am very glad that you have had a pleasant and memorable stay with us and that we were able to get your room ready upon your early arrival. I try my best to meet every guests that I correspond with.

You are right to mention that local call through the resort switchboard is higher than outside. Most travellers can actually get a free local SIM card which can be topped up at any 7 - 11 or Family Mart convenience stores which are all over the island. When you take one of our scheduled shuttle bus service to Jungceylon Shopping Centre, you will be able to find a 7 - 11 convenience stall in the Basement Level of this shopping centre or the ones along Bangla Road, diagonally across from this shopping centre.

Wishing You and all family members a Very Happy, Prosperous and Healthy Year of The Horse!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

The complex is really wide. It makes that you must not expect proximity with people, or if you are willing to meet tourist at the pool, this is not the right hotel. Beside that fact, everything was amazing. We took a two bedroom suite and it was beautiful. 2 wide bedrooms, with flat screen, a living room with TV as well, modern furnitures, nice bathrooms and a private pool access. Staff was nice. The restaurant is expensive if you compare it to the local purchase power and you can find 1000 times better in the city. Patong is a bit far if you want to walk but a hotel shuttle takes you the city every hour if I remember and then brings you back at fixed hours.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dear Klashman,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

Yes, our resort is quite spread out and each section has it own swimming pool that give our guests tranquil and relaxing atmosphere while lazing by the pool.

Your comment about our restaurant menu prices being expensive has been duly noted.
Our schedule shuttle bus service to Jungceylon Shopping Center in Patong City and Beach operates hourly from 8am till 10pm daily.

Being the first day of Chinese Lunar Year, I take this opportunity to wish you and your family members a Very Happy, Prosperous and Healthy Year of The Horse!!
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

We recently stayed here at the end of our patong/ khao lak holiday for a night and a day. We are frequent visitors to Thailand and have been coming for the last 16 years.

We purchased this as a Wotif secret deal of a 5 star resort (self rated) when we got here it was easy to tell this was not a 5 star resort we come from amazing 5 star in Khao Lak and a 4 star in patong that was just fab too this is more like a 3-3.5 so be prepared !

The room: needs work it is very shabby, towel rack falling out of the wall, aircond hardly works, walls need painting. Beds were clean but towels old and windows and mirrors were streaky! Beds hard as a rock!

The resort itself needs works I was shocked to find out it was only 3 years old. It has cracks in the walls, heaps of bugs, landscaping lacks in just small things like not having enough soil in pot plants ect.. It is a huge resort that might have been nice when it was open but thinking that is the last time that it was worked it.

Location is some distance away from patong and you will require use of taxi's or the shuttle service that the hotel offer. Though when we got on it was unsafe and did not take us to Patong Beach as advertised and the driver tried to drive off why people where getting off and be mindful shuttle service stops at 8pm in which fact you will then need to spend about 300 baht to get back.

Internet poor and very slow

TV channels not many and will have to pay things like HBO

Staff appear to be friendly

View okay but our room view was over a car park and other parts of the resorts

Overall I would not recommend this hotel/resort until it has major renovations and would recommend lowering it self rating and also updating your photos as they are not a true reflection

Thanks

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim D
Dear Kim D,

Thank you for posting on Tripadvisor that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us.
I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you also for all your comments about the room and surrounding areas. We do have an ongoing maintenance program of all our guestrooms and facilities.

Our scheduled shuttle bus service are only allowed to stop at 2 spots designated by the local traffic police. The first stop is at Jungceylon Shopping Centre and the 2nd stop is at Patong Beach, near the Holiday Inn. We are not allowed to pick up or drop off any passengers along the way. This schedule shuttle bus service to Jungceylong Shopping Centre and Patong Beach is provided free of charge from 10am till 8pm daily.

I am surprised that you mentioned that you had to pay for HBO. All our local and cable TV channels are provided free of charge and there is no "Movie Charging System" installed in our TV system or anywhere else within the resort. In other words, we do not have "Pay Per View" for movies shown on local and cable TV Channels.

Wishing you a very Happy Prosperous and Healthy Year of The Horse.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights for the end of our honeymoon and were fairly disappointed. On checking in, our room was not ready which was frustrating. Thankfully we picked up the room with the wotif.com mystery hotel deal and did not pay full price for this resort. We were in room J102, we had a jacuzzi, however, there was no point to having this as it faced the front entry, there was no privacy at all hence we did not use this once. We could hear everything from our room from the front foyer and the restaurant. Staff did not attempt to talk to us, or provide any service. The food was over-priced, the bed was extremely hard and their were bugs in the room daily. The only good thing was the free shuttle to patong every hour, this was really good. The only time someone did enquire about our stay and our holiday was after we checked out when we were waiting for our taxi. The duty manager on approached us and asked about our stay, he was really lovely. Its just a shame he was the first person to provide any kind of service to us and this was after we had checked out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmatheson84
Dear Dmatheson84,

Thank you for posting your disappointment with our service on Tripadvisor.

Official Check In Time at most resorts in Phuket and hotels in Thailand is at 14.00hrs. However, we always try our best to accommodate any early arrivals whenever possible.

Unfortunately, upon your arrival, we were not able to assign the Deluxe Jacuzzi Room that you had reserved. In order not to keep you waiting too long, as soon as we had a 1 Bedroom Suite available, the Front Office staff assigned and upgrade you to this available suite. It was most unfortunate that you did not let us know that you were not happy with this upgraded suite. Otherwise, we would be more than happy to assign another Deluxe Jacuzzi Room when one becomes available.

As for the beds, we had a few complaints about its hardness but on the other hand we also had many compliments that the beds were very comfortable. Such things are matter of individual taste. Unfortunately, we are not able to suit every individual needs and hopefully suit the needs of the majority. With a "forested" area behind our resort, we do have occasional problems with bugs within our resort compound. However, we also engaged professional pest control contractors to handle such problems.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for inconveniences you have had experienced. I take this opportunity to wish you and your family members a Very Happy, Prosperous and Healthy Year of the Horse.
Ferragudo, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

The jacuzzi really made it on the terrace of our unit overlooking our pool and so quiet with mature gardens,
staff friendly, breakfast a feast and the free transportation to the crowded Patong beach, shopping and so much to do always.
Recommended to organize the transfers and tours at the airport best deal then Hotel,
pool staff and entertainment a must and even did a cooking Thai day with their chef !
would love to return one day !
The fruit is second to none

Room Tip: spacious, air conditioning needed on all time as very hot, our room was close to reception w breakfa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VILACASTELOEU V
Robin L, General Manager at Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Ferragudo,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to know that overall you have had a pleasant stay with us during your vacation in Phuket and enjoyed using the Jacuzzi on the balcony.

Yes, most of our guests made use of the daily complimentary scheduled shuttle bus to Patong City and Beach, which operates from 10am till 8pm.

Airport transfers cost less from the airport ad the airport taxis and limousine uses Japanese made vehicles and most of the are powered by LPG gas. Whereas our resort's uses Mercedes cars for our limousines service. As for Tours & Sight seeing prices, they are all fixed prices by the tour operators. Sometimes tour operators offers complimentary City Tour but you will end up with many tourist shops stops that you did not asked for. Hopefully you buy something from these tourists shops to cover their expenses for the "free" City Tours.

Glad that you had a chance to take the Thai Cooking class and hope that you are able to prepare Thai dishes by yourself now.

We look forward to your next visit to our resort. Wishing you and all family members a very nice weekend!!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Plusses: Nice grounds, lots of (shallow) pools. Minuses: Beds that are painfully firm. Jacuzzis that are not heated (so not functional). Some sort of scheme with the taxis where you end up paying far more than standard rates. Most importantly, the hotel requested a substantial amount of personal information from me in order to process the prepayment for the rooms (made on Booking.com) and my credit card was most likely counterfeited. Though I can't absolutely confirm that the counterfeiting occurred at the hotel, when my card was turned off (due to the counterfeiting) the hotel then asked for my AMEX card with a PIN number --- highly unusual. I was able to sort out with the good people at Booking.com but be advised as to this problem.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TravelingKornfelds
Dear TravelingKomfelds,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

We regret to learn that you were not happy with our services and facilities and found that the beds were too hard. Yes, unfortunately we did not install any water heating system in our Jacuzzis during construction of the resort. With the very hot climate in Phuket, most of the time, we felt that cold water would be more refreshing when guests need to cool down.

With modern technology and many fraudsters using counterfeit credit cards, we had to take precautionary measures to ensure that our guests and resort do not fell prey for such fraudsters. Please be rest assured that we do not carry out counterfeiting in our resort.

All Booking.com reservations requires a Credit Card guarantee and we are not able to make use of this credit card number provided by Booking .com to perform any financial transactions by ourselves. Guests are only required to pay directly to the resort for their room charges, upon check in, only. Normally PIN numbers are not required unless the bank needs verification to safeguard the credit card holder and to prevent fraudsters using cloned credit cards.

I do hope that you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Wishing you a very good weekend!!
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here for the last 2 nights (thank heavens in was only a short stay!) of our SE Asia trip. This stay was supposed to be a luxurious finish to our trip – based on the reviews and price of the room – we expected something special - our experience was far from it.

Initial impressions were good – security guarded entrance and large surrounds for the hotel on top of the Patong Hill….on check in the front of house staff were efficient but cold. We were shown to our room (a ‘Deluxe Jacuzzi’ room).
As soon as we walked in to the room, we were underwhelmed by the quality and finish of the room. First to catch the eye was a downlight globe hanging from its fixture on the ceiling!

The room was not cleaned properly with stains on the floor from spilt drinks/dirt on the floor – even the bed was not properly made! Imagine a 10 year old being asked to ‘tidy their room’ and this will give you an impression of the quality of the ‘clean’ of the room.

The quality of the fittings and fixtures in the rooms are well below par – IKEA grade cupboards and benchtops that chip/scratch very easily were used (obviously to keep building costs down!). The floors were incredibly scratched – how they managed to get so scratched in the short time the hotel has been open is beyond me!
The paint on the wall at the end of the room was flaking off due to water damage or similar. The handles on the wardrobe were loose and the towel rail in the bathroom was JUST mounted to the wall. A major iron burn mark on the dresser was conveniently covered up by the complimentary fruit bowl too.
Three painting adorned the wall above the bed – two of which were hanging so off centre they we touching the centre paintings….overall the sort of room presentation that you have to almost go out of your way to get so wrong!

Apart from the general cleanliness – the other things did not affect our comfort specifically but definitely were things you expect in a 1 or 2 star motel rather than a ‘resort’ pitched as a 5 star! Caravan Parks in Australia have better attention to detail!

As you can tell – maintenance of the rooms is clearly not high on the list of hotel priorities. I do not believe this should be up to guests to point out things that needs to be repaired in the hotel rooms – cleaners, hotel staff etc visit each room and all of the above items would be easily noticeable – especially to hotel staff one would think!

The wireless internet is absolutely useless! One single Google search took 45 seconds to just post a result – and forget loading any web page/facebook etc. The service is so over-subscribed on inadequate infrastructure that every hotel guest given access to the system ruins it for the rest of the users (called over-subscription)….I design and implement enterprise grade wireless networks for a living and was astonished at the Mickey Mouse approach taken for Guest Wifi at the hotel. Cambodian hotels had 10x better internet access!

You cannot possibly advertise ‘free wireless internet to keep you connected’ based on this performance. I called reception to complain about the performance of the WIFI – the first person I spoke to told me that ‘someone would come to my room to help me’ – surprised/delighted by this gesture I patiently waited for 25 minutes before calling reception to see where this person was….another person answered and said nobody was coming to my room! Puzzled – I queried the performance of the WIFI and got a very generic response of ‘our IT department is investigating the issue’ – when I queried further what this really meant and whether the ‘issues’ would be resolved – I was given nothing but generic platitudes and reassurance that it was currently being investigated….rubbish! At least tell the truth to your guests. To the IT department - Buy some more bandwidth and put some additional wireless access points! That will fix your WIFI ‘issues’!

The Jacuzzi is cold. The heat/humidity of Phuket makes this a bit more refreshing than a heated spa (that’s what we told ourselves anyway) – but it is more of a miniature pool than a ‘jacuzzi’ – I think this is creative marketing at its best – 9 out of 10 people would assume that a Jacuzzi means hot/warm water. You should be very clear that the water is cold – reading reviews now indicating I am not the only person who feels this way! Anyway – we still enjoyed the views in the cold Jacuzzi at the end of each day. But like other things at Sea Pearl – it could have been so much better!

Breakfast was OK – selection was reasonable – but the service staff were too attentive, clearing our freshly brewed coffee’s from our table while we were up getting our breakfast.

The shuttle service is a good feature to get into town (for free), but the perils of Patong traffic mean that the return time can be ahead/behind schedule and can take approx. 45 minutes to return the hotel. This is no fault of the hotel but the commute to/from Patong can chew up 1.5 hours of each day!
The location of the hotel is good to get away from the chaos that is Patong beach, but you can’t walk anywhere (convenience store etc) from the hotel.

We stayed in various locations across Singapore, Cambodia and Thailand prior to this location – this cost 2 x times more than even the Singapore hotel we stayed but offered a significantly lower quality experience than the 1400 Baht/night location we stayed in Krabi prior to visiting Phuket.
If we paid half the price we did, we still would be have disappointed but this would have been a fairer price than what we paid. We were tired and rush to leave, otherwise we would have had a frank discussion with the hotel manager about our stay, but I don’t think that would have really made any appreciable difference unfortunately.

Please consider this review when booking this hotel – if you get at a discount rate than great – but pay full price and you will likely be disappointed.
Also if it is your first time to Thailand – Patong Beach is tourist central, dirty, chaotic compared to many other amazing locations in Southern Thailand I have visited!

Room Tip: Jacuzzi is cold.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank David K
Dear David K,

I sincerely thank you for the very detailed comments that you had taken the time to post on Tripadvisor of which I find very constructive for us to really get things right. Without frank and constructive criticism from guests like yourself, we would not be able to continuously improve our guests services and facilities.

As for the Internet, we are in the process of installing new fiber optic cables and increasing more wireless access as you had so kindly suggested. Also need to apologize for the poor handling of your complaint about the Internet service with no one turning up as they were supposed to.

As for the cold water Jacuzzi, we did not install any water heating system due to the hot weather in Phuket. This was definitely an oversight on our part during construction of the resort 3 years ago.

I would have welcomed the opportunity to have met you before you departure from the resort as the most important part of my job is to make sure that our guests are happy with their stay and if they are not, I have to be the one to take corrective actions and ensure that all our guests complaints are handled and attended to accordingly.

I do not blame you for not recommending our resort to anyone after what you had experienced. However, if you are kind enough to give us another chance to be of service to you again in the future, please do not hesitate to send me an email in advance. I will personally ensure that your future stay with us would be a pleasant and memorable one. It would also give me a great opportunity to make amends.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to drop me an email at robinlee@seapearlvillasphuket.com

Wishing you and all your loved ones a very relaxing and pleasant weekend!!