“Pum - yum!”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were recommended to this restaurant for the cooking classes. Alas we never made them, but six of us did go there for dinner. Pum's Mum was our waitress, very friendly but discreet. She also understood perfectly that we wanted our main course AFTER our starters. Can't tell you the number of times it's all been put on the table at the same time! We sat inside and had a good vantage point from which to view the kitchen. It was great to see the young chefs prepare the freshest of ingredients and then effortlessly make the six different dishes ordered. No reheating or pre- made sauces here!
I had Pum's Herb Salad and I have to say after 9 holidays in Phuket, it was the best Thai food I have ever tasted. Everyone else said theirs was delicious, apart from one. He felt there was a lack of chicken in his green curry, which he also described as not hot enough. If he had listened to "Mum" he would have realised the condiments for making it hotter were on the table in front of him.
I agree that the quantity of chicken was less than we usually expect in a dish, but to me the quality made up for it. (I put it down to the way I've fed him for the last 49 years!).
The restaurant is about a 5 minute walk from the Millenium Resort, not a standout frontage as it is up a few steps from the pavement. It is fairly small, with only a couple of tables outside. The prices are cheap, and they have a limited drinks menu, but the beer was super cold. The staff are very friendly and apart from Pum and her Mum, have limited English. That's cool, I have non- existent Thai.
If you are looking for real Thai food, with ingredients purchased from the markets that morning, you can't go past Pum's. It was a standout in a sea of mediocre restaurants dishing up food adapted for tourists. Just wish we'd found it sooner, we ran out of time for a re-run. We will be back next year.

PumThailand, Propriétaire at Pum Thai Restaurant & Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear mctKalmundaWA,
you made us laugh so much when we read your review, wonderful humour, thanks so much! We will relay your comment to Mum, she will be delighted! We are looking forward to seeing again next year.
Have a safe journey back to Perth...

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We had a really great time. Pum and her assistant are great teachers. We did the lipstick 90 minute class which was just right for us. Made my first green curry at home tonight and it came out great!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I ve been always dreaming of learning to cook Thai food! Now the dream has come true! It was a great lesson and I really enjoyed the time here! Many thanks to Irene! I will take Thai food secrets with me to Russia :);)

3  Thank Ольга Ш
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

If you cook at home, you have to cut your vegetables. At Pum, everything is done for you, you just have to cook it. We felt like slaves and had to do exactly what the girl told us. Own taste is unwanted.

2  Thank Jamesjes
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We booked this class over the internet and had so much fun. The people are very knowledgable and entertained us with fun facts and great stories. The cooking class is very complete starting with the ingredients and a little history behind each item. We had so much fun and learned so much that I want to rush home, buy a mortar and pestle and start jamming in the kitchen. The fact that they treated us like celebrities completed the experience. I will recommend this class to anyone and to finish off.... The food was FANTASTIC. Thank you so much I'm officially supporting team Pum!

1  Thank Anriacoetzer