“Good to see but inconveniet to use”

Nicky's Handlebar Hotel
Ranked #74 of 337 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 11 December 2012

As expected before going there, the design of the hotel is impressive. Everything is related to high-end cars and motorcycles. All that creates a feeling for something different, never experienced before.
Anyway, when staying there for some time you start to see the drawbacks. The rooms are actually located in what looks like garage cells. That makes them quite dark with no windows at all since the only window is the wall with the door itself but the glass is half transparent so as you need to drop the curtains, there is no daylight from the outside.
The WC and the bathroom are separated into two cabins, located at the back of the room. The problem is that they have no ceiling and that creates a quite intimate atmosphere between you as a couple, when someone needs to do his big job in the toilet :)
There is almost no space inside the room to organize your luggage so expect the chaos coming within an hour after checking in.
There are also no shelves in the bathroom so you cannot take your shampoo, shower gel etc. with you inside.
The TV set is attached to the side wall and it has a limited rotation possibility so you need to watch it from an angle.
The air conditioning is blowing just above the bed, so your head can freeze while your body still sweats hot.
The pool is narrow and located in a way that it feels more like a decoration than a place you can use for swimming.
The staff is nice and helpful.
The breakfast takes place in the bar and it is good.
So to resume, the unique design of the hotel pays its price - it is good to see and experience but it is somehow done without the thought in mind that people will have to live there, even for several days.

Room Tip: Don't pick up a room by the pool as we did. You will probably not use the pool at all and at the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mihail B

Reviewed 31 October 2012 via mobile

Best lunch we had in thailand, burger and pizza, my wife and I loved it, the waitress even took us out the back to show is the Harley Davidson collection and the cars which included a Lamborghini). WOW. Highly recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Knj2012
Reviewed 19 October 2012 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay with great owners Nicky and Kia. Can't wait to return again. We booked here due to word of mouth. We have stayed at previous 5 star resorts but this is definately a favourite. Food in restaurant excellent quality.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Tanya H
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Booked 2 nights between the Oct 2-3 for a Deluxe Pool room for me and my girlfriend, based on previous reviews here on tripadvisor and the very reasonable price. Judging by the photos posted here by other reviewers and also the hotel's website, the decor and general look of the hotel was genuine and unique, so I was happy with that and impressed. However what I wasn't impressed was the professionalism, lack of concern and ability to handle things when things don't go right.

As previously mentioned, I booked 2 nights through Agoda 2 nights before arrival and they stated availability for a Deluxe Pool room. Upon arrival they said the Deluxe Pool rooms were booked out and they only had Deluxe rooms currently available (due to the owner who was getting married at the time and he's guests took out those rooms). They said they could only give me a Deluxe room for the night, and ASSURED ME the following night I would get the Deluxe Pool room that I ALREADY PAID FOR. I was willing to compromise and said fine, so long as also I'd get reimbursed for the difference between the costs of a Deluxe Pool room and Deluxe room.

After the first night, the next morning I went to reception and checked to see if my Deluxe Pool room was ready for us to move into. Another man was working at reception and said unfortunately no and I could only stay at my current Deluxe room. No sympathy or lack of concern was shown, just basically 'deal with what you got' attitude. I pretty much got the feeling that I was in a no win situation, and gave my girlfriend a shot at trying to get a favorable outcome, but to no avail as well. After being ASSURED the night before that we'd get what we paid for and now finding out we were LIED to, we were stuck with the same deluxe room.

Another thing I found disappointing was no room service whatsoever existed during our stay. I'd expect at least new towels and the bed getting done as the minimum, but when we came back from a day out to find our room in the same state, I was shocked at the ZERO ROOM SERVICE we received.

The rooms are as they seem in the photos; unique, new, funky with that biker theme. I give credit to the styling of the rooms and the pool is available to use pretty much any time day or night. Breakfast too is commendable, its cooked on the spot and you have choices of continental breakfast. The wifi is free in every room, but its weak and slow and therefore didn't use it that much.

Overall the rooms are nice and it worked out about $AU62 a night, but the quality of service and lack of concern left me very disappointed. If they had showed sincere sympathy and apologized at the beginning for the handling of the booking, and NOT LIED and just said in most likelihood I'd had to stay at the deluxe room and refund the difference on the spot, I would have enjoyed my stay a whole lot better and not have to worry about this whole mess. Instead they just made things harder, and I ended up staying the rest of my trip at a hotel not too far away (Deevana Spa & Resort) which was just a few dollars extra but was miles better in quality of service, better room and facilities. I firmly believe that as a guest you're not just paying for the room, but an overall package and while I was impressed with Nicky's Handlebar's rooms, the service was simply unacceptable.
WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN.

Room Tip: get the cheapest room. more you spend, more you lose.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chasiubaau
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I was fascinated by the decor of the motel and the rating in tripadvisor that made me Wanted to book this place to stay for a nite. The room isn't big but very CLEAN and you get SUPER clean big towels for beach and bath. Hair dryer is provided as well and bed is also very comforting. The pool may look small BUT good enough for friends gather around for beers and have fun. You will be surprised that their pool and jacuzzi are open round the clock however noise to be keep to the minimum.Great about this which other hotels normally closed their pool around six or seven o'clock. Nicky bar served breakfast by individual set. I will recommend this place to stay although is a bit far from beach. Lots of seafood stalls and massage palours along the road and walking distance to JUNGCEYLON is about 10-15 mins walk.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Osakakoh
Reviewed 10 July 2012

First, the decor of the hotel is unique, touch of rustic and ruggedness and yet you feel so at ease like home. Room is spacious and clean. Every piece of decor was given considerations even up to the way room number is being displayed. Suitable for family with kids as well. Only thing that if you stay on the 2nd floor, you will need to drag the luggage up and down the stairs. But, the friendly stuff are more than happy to help you with the luggage.

Was hoping to stay in a Harley room but was not available. The Ferrari room was good and nice too!

Secondly, location is good, at least for me, near eateries, bars, beach and the famous mall (about 15 mins walk).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seira1404
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The hotel is super cool with excellent location!!!!
Location: 5 minutes walk to beach, 15 minutes walk to the main shopping centre, many nice and cheap massage centre and restaurant are nearby the hotel.
Room: very unique and modern design!!! Clean, spacious and comfortable - suitable for long stay!!!
Breakfast: Breakfast was excellent (as it is not buffet style = not a mass production)
Staff: very pleasant and helpful. The manager, Kai speak excellent English - no problem with communication.
Conclusion: We will definitely stay at Nicky's Handlebar hotel if we go back to Phuket

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple