“Confused by reviews-not recommended”

FunDee Boutique Hotel
Ranked #134 of 322 Hotels in Patong
“Confused by reviews-not recommended”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I'm really confused by the conflicting reviews on this hotel. Unfortunately, my experience was totally in line with the bad ones. I'm really thinking that the good ones must be confused with a different hotel. The room was awful! I'm not that picky of a guest, a clean room and maybe a friendly smile at the front desk is all I need. I did not get that. Despite the hotel description stating that all rooms have a balcony, mine didn't even have a window! It smelled damp and moldy. There was dirty and dust piled up in the corners of room. The sheets/towels/pillows were of really low quality and really counted out for you, very minimal. The toilet doesn't flush, you have to put the used toilet paper in the garbage can for collection! There is no shower curtain, just a shower head on the wall next to the toilet (and said garbage can).
As far as that smile from the front desk....they only issue one key for the room and suggest you leave it with them when you go out (when you return, they just hand you the key when you say the room number, they don't check your name or i.d., very unsafe!). this one key is needed to turn on the power in the room. Unfortunately, I was injured when we arrived and couldn't really walk, which meant my boyfriend had to go out quite often without me. The front desk refused to give him a second key unless we paid for it, suggesting either I get up to open the door for him each time (with 2 injured legs), or I sit in the dark without power (or windows!) while he goes out. Are you kidding?!?
Anyway, never again, and although alot of the budget range hotels in this area do seem to be a bit run down, I'll take my chances elsewhere. Honestly, I don't understand the people with rave reviews on this property. It doesn't make sense.
The only good point was the location, seemed to be pretty central.

Room Tip: make sure you don't get the rooms on the ground floor with no windows. it's awful.
7 Thank c0c0nn0r
FundeeBoutiqueHotel, Owner at FunDee Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
1. The Room you purchased was advertised as having No window and No balcony & you chose this room because it was the cheapest Room advertised. We always request our guests get an upgrade which will cost you approx $4 more but you insisted on the cheapest Room. Sorry to hear that you felt our room was dirty and I wish you brought it to my attention and if this was true I would have gladly upgraded you or ensured this was addressed and cleaned immediately. We clean our rooms daily and our linen are of high quality & washed daily.
2. Yes we only provide 1 key card and we request our guests to leave the key with the front office staff. We do this so you don’t lose the key which is costly to replace, secondly because we are a small Boutique Hotel, we focus on our Guests our staff know all our guests & know the rooms they are in. Our procedure for the key is secure and never given out to the wrong person.
3. In Thailand the sewerage system does not cope with toilet paper, hence not only our hotel but all hotels in Phuket and Thailand demand you dispose of the toilet paper in a rubbish bin supplied.
4. Please do not insult our integrity & insult all these lovely guests whom reviewed us fairly & looked at the 99% beauty & enjoyed their holiday rather than the 1% mistake & make your holiday miserable. We have had thousands of guests come through our Hotel & they were more than satisfied. We pride ourselves on Customer service, cleanliness & providing service with a smile.
Elias

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This hotel was ... dare i say it ... PERFECT! I can not complain about anything. I enjoyed my stay here. The bed was amazing.. my husband and I had probably the best sleep ever.. we have just been travelling around Thailand and I have to say this hotel was probably the best we experienced on our trip. The staff were all just so down to earth, always smiling .. always happy.. it was nice to experience this. Location of the hotel was great we could walk to everything .. couple minutes to Bangla Rd at night, couple minutes stroll to the beach in the morning and shopping is all around we use to walk and do shopping every afternoon. Room was always cleaned. Mini Bar was great value & the coffee at the hotel is just divine. My husband and I would have several cups of coffee's a day enjoyed sitting at the restaurant was very nice. We also did a couple tours. If you have any question just ask the staff they are always happy to help!!

Room Tip: Book Tours From Hotel & Ask The Staff For Any Help!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cutelebgal
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 2 March 2012

greetings everyone......lemme just say something about this terrible place me and my brother visited this hotel in Feb end 2012 , I went with the reviews from TripAdvisor & sadly this place is not like the travelers mentioned on the website, let me cover in points :::
1. The staff was really not really very friendly as they will try to cheat you more with the packages for every activity available on the Island, in fact dont even think about renting a scooter from them they shall charge u 350 bhat for a miserable scooter while you can easily get one from the outside from Bangla Road for 200 bhat, an airport taxi would cost you easily for 500 baht but the hotel staff mention that their prices are the cheapest which they aernt as they charge 900 baht for the same. Many other small instances are their which are yet unsaid by me.
2. The Hotel Staff instead of asking how was our day after a long day trip asked whether we drank water from the fridge I mean how stupid can one be ? A person staying in the hotel is paying close to 2000 baht and the staff is worried about a 30 baht water bottle crazy staff.
3. They shall not provide you with extra towels for free instead they choose to charge you 30 baht per towel which is ridiculous.
4. House Keeping services are only till 5:00 pm which is stupid in my opinion what if someone wants his room clean later in the evening so that's not a possibility here.

I shall make sure I never recommend this hotel to anyone I shall prefer staying on the street rather than this hotel the next time I visit phuket. Highly avoidable lots of great hotels around phuket please all you travelers do not go by the reviews mentioned for this hotel.

5 Thank sujoynandi1
Sir your review was not fair, was not true and very unfair. Can I take this opportunity in highlighting the following Facts,
1. Yes you are correct you can get bikes in Bangla Rd for $3 dollars a day cheaper, however this is a fact. These bikes are usually over 5 years old, over 60,000Kms on the clock, run down, dilapidated, bald tires, not serviced and you have to pray that the brakes work well when you need them to work. Our Bikes are no more than 8 months young, serviced regularly, have no more than 1,500Kms on the clock at the time you stayed with us and they are serviced regularly to ensure the safety of our guests. I for one value my safety and value my life and for $3 dollars more I know which Bike I will Take. A very high rate of death is caused from Motor Bike accidents in Thailand and Phuket. If you value your life the extra $3 is a worth while investment. Having said this we advertise the motor bike rates all over our hotel and no one forces anyone to take the bike and its your choice always.
2. Taxi service from airport to Patong is not 500Baht, you will need to negotiate with the taxi driver at the airport and most cases you will not get a taxi for less than 650 to 700 baht. Further more the taxi you get on your own will in most cases stop several times at tour agents who try and sell you tours or another hotel and this will add another 20 to 30 minutes to your ride. We outsource our taxi from a reputable taxi company. W provide you with a professional driver who will await your arrival displaying your name and take you directly to our hotel. If for some reason you forgot something in our taxi in the majority of cases we are able to retrieve it back for you unlike the taxi you get on you own will be impossible to retrieve. Taxi fares are published all over our Hotel and our Staff do not say that out taxi is cheaper. This service is slightly more expensive as there is a true cost for us to provide this service.
3. We provide all our guests with 2 Towels, 2 Face Towels, floor towel, 2 bottles of water, 2 Shampoo Bottles, 2 Hair conditioner Bottles, 2 Soaps daily. Our rooms provide you with Free Wifi, fresh Clean Sheets, Great Mattress, laptop Safe, LCD TV and freshly cleaned room daily and we only charged you $25 unlike the larger hotels whom provide you with a similar room for $200 to $300 dollars a night. We are one of the most competitively priced boutique hotels and we cannot provide you with unlimited supply of bottled water and towels. If you require additional services we will charge you for this.
Your review was not true nor was it fair and to be honest you trashed out good name unfairly. We have had over 10,000 guests come through our hotel and as you can see from the reviews 98% of these guests were more than happy with our service. Please do not do this to other hotels as its not fair.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I have no complaints about this hotel. The rooms are massive and the staff are great. My freinds were in and out of my room all the time and the staff did not complain. Mini bar at the ready at ok prices to. We also had an issue when we had to get my freind to hospital and the staff helped greatly. I would never visit Patong again as it is a horrible seedy place and wouldnt advice anyone to go there, but if you to do decide to go there go to this hotel it is 5* without doubt. Thank you

Room Tip: room on the bottom floor
1 Thank Callum G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our stay there as fundee was. Lose to almost everything you need shops bars restaurant local market and the beach was only 2 blocks away about 10 minutes walk. We were upgraded to the superior room for a few extra dollars and it was worth it as the mattress was so comfortable the staff are helpful and helped us with all our tours my room was spotless Ana fresh new towels provided daily plus 2 free bottles of water. I will defiantly come back again

Room Tip: Get the upgrade to superior room and also ask them about the tours as they are so informative and he...
2 Thank John W
JKT
Reviewed 17 February 2012

we stayed there on mid Feb and got room at 1st floor (no balcony). that's not a problem for us. but this room has no window at all. if you don't have problem with this, then it's fine. the staff is really helpful. once we got there and don't know how to activate the blackberry service using thai's sim card, when we ask the receptionist, she did help us regarding this.

1 thing that surprise us, they put 2 extra bed inside our bedroom. the first night we arrive, they pull out 1 extra bed (maybe cause of other room request extra bed). then on the third day, when we are having rest at the hotel on afternoon, suddenly the maid knocked our room and ask to put back the extra bed. because it feel annoying, then i request to change to another room and they had change our room in the next morning. so, problem solved.

the other experience, in the morning we left our room card/key to the reception, and when we got back to hotel around 3/4 PM to take shower, our room has not been cleaned yet. after taking shower, without knocking, the maid open our room and we were surprised by this incident. but the maid did say sorry and i ask her to get back in 15 minutes since we were preparing to go out to shop. and when i left the key to reception and ask him to make up room, the receptionist told me that the maid shift end at 5 PM and if we want the room to be made up, we should left before that time... what kind of attitude is that? but i don't want to argue with him about this since we were on holiday. the other staffs were really helpful with any of our question.

tips: avoid room 101B since they put extra bed in the room...

Room Tip: avoid 101b if you choose room with no balcony.
Paris, France
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I came to this hotel from the overwhelming great reviews and Im so glad I did as this place really did live up to the reputation. Big rooms and very clean and fresh daily. I loved the big laptop sake in my room as my wife and I always stored our valuable iPad in them. The staff speak good english and assist us with all the tours in Phuket. The hotel in only short distance to all the great shopping and Bazzares Patong has on offer. The night life strip was was only minutes away and the beach a nice 10 minute walk. I loved Phi Phi Island Tour and James Bond Daily Tour what a great cultural experience and to come back to my room fresh daily was a dream fir the price I paid. I had breakfast a few times but I was told that their breakfast menu is limited as they don't have a chef yet and have temporarily employed someone part time to assist. The coffee although was one of the nicest Ive had and great value as well. My room had a balcony and 1 night the hotel opposite had some noise from 2 of their clients fighting with the thai woman but it was resolved fast and then i went to bed. I would have loved to hire their new bikes but the hectic driving in phuket scared me but i hope i can come again as I think ridding this bike on the island would be heaven but scary. Go to Banzan Markets after 6 and get the choice of excellent foods on offer and its so so cheap only 1 US dollar for the average dish and its delicious and all of this is only a few minutes walk from FUNFEE, Thank you FUNDEE for making our stay so pleasant and so magical and I hope we can come back gain

Room Tip: Go to Banzan Market and eat the great food on offer what a treat
1 Thank Louis H