“"I am not going to refer this hotel to any friend or enemy"”

FunDee Boutique Hotel
Ranked #136 of 327 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 8 February 2014

If you are looking for a place just to sleep and spend the night,
If you are looking for a hospitality where the owners dont know how to even smile,
if you are looking at very basic rooms with no view and opening up to balconies of other hotel rooms,
if you are looking for hotel with bathroom where the water spills all over the place as there are no shower separator
And if you are willing to spend 2099 Baht per night to stay in these "unique" conditions then here is your place.
Yes it is close to Patong (about 15 mint walk) but that's not the sole criteria. Yes I know i booked this hotel as i was looking for a budget options but when I went to check out and make my payment, i was surprised that they charged me the regular tariff and not the booking price at which AGODA.com had offered the rooms. My booking from agoda was charged in US Dollars and the owners told me that they had nothing doing with dollars and that I had to pay in Baht and that too the exisiting rates which was about 12 dollars more. Well that's not a bomb but my trust was taken for a ride both by the hotel and agoda,
Sorry dear owners, i am not going to refer your hotel to any friend or enemy for the simple reason that you dont even know how to greet your guests and even the fact that you ill treat your hotel staff very badly.

Room Tip: No tips here. All rooms are the same.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ashirbadraha

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The hotel is located perfectly...just a 10 minute walk to patong beach and bangla road. The big shopping mall(sorry can't remember the name) is also just 5 minute walk away. The Staff is friendly. Scooter rental prices are not too bad. Wifi works fine as we'll. the manager was kind enough to get the standard room cleaned for me on priority when I checked out from the superior to the standard room due to non availability of the former on third day of my stay.
There's a spa nxt door for UR Thai massage experience and I must say they are very good too. Just had a massage there today.
Having said all this u must be thinking then why I give average rating to the hotel..simply because this hotel feels more of a guest house than a proper hotel. It's small...elevators are oddly placed between floors..and standard room has no balcony , not even a window. No swimming pool...gym..restaurant..bar...nothing. But what surprised me the most was that even the superior room didn't have any tea/coffee , hot water kettle, etc. also the walls are too thin..I could hear the guys in the other room which woke me up from my sleep in the middle of the night.
If you are tight on budget and looking for a place which is much better than a backpacker and close to the world famous patong beach then FunDee is the place for you. But if the other things I mentioned bother you then you might wanna check some other option.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room..standard has no window or balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel early in Jan 2014, two female friends, and it was a nightmare. The managers/owners were extremely UN-professional. The assisting young staff did nothing and hardly understood English.

The room was okay, but the view was terrible, facing a parallel building... you have no privacy at all. You will have to draw all you curtains before getting dressed or you will be seen by your facing neighbors.

The bathroom was a nightmare, no curtains no step, so every time you take a bath the water would outflow 3 centimeters high to reach the bathroom door. So, if you have a partner in the room he would need to wait like 20-30 minutes to take his shower waiting for all the water to drain!!

The owners hadn't the slightest idea about Hotel Business/Management:
- I asked for 2 extra pillows the day we arrived, we got nothing. I asked them again on our third day, we got nothing.
- When we arrived and asked for our luggage to be moved to our room, the manager loudly said they don't have a bellboy, though he managed to find us someone to take our luggage to room later ( mind you we were two ladies).
- When we asked the reception to call our tour guide to confirm our booking, the manager standing beside him, again said loudly take 17 Bhat from them !!
- The hotel has all sorts of instructions in the room, such as: Towels are not allowed to be taken to the beach, and they put you this sign every time they clean the room. They also have a long list of cost of damages when done to the room (Pls see photos).
- when we asked the manager about the nearest Massage Shop he mumbled and didn't give us a real answer. To our amazement, the Massage shop was wall to wall with the hotel.

Would like to point out that photos on net are very much like the hotel, however it looks much worn out in reality, it is hardly maintained.

To sum up, this hotel is suitable for someone who wants a place to sleep, nothing more!
Only the bed was good, the bathroom was filthy, the cupboard was smelly, the staff and managers were awful.

Room Tip: Take a high floor to avoid noise, and front view of hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank loveable01
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Just left Phuket and must admit its a vibrant place and night life was an eye opener, we really enjoyed it but if you're looking for a quiet time, don't come to patong beach.

Now the hotel -

Check what you booked! We booked through Asia rooms and went for a standard room. On the website this seemed fine and the pictures of this seemed ok. We got there and were pushed into a basement room which didn't even have a window!

The service was great for dealing with this afterwards as we changed rooms and even upgraded with a balcony, for no extra cost. As it was we may have paid over the odds initially as the manager was negotiating a lower price with us than we paid for the lower standard room- we were just happy to change!

Upon inspection (so to speak) of the room, the balcony door didn't have a lock. The shower was grubby and flooded the entire room when you had one (like someone else pointed out) and there was no cold water!

Breakfast was also a little disappointing. Obviously nothing like an English breakfast as sausages like hot dog sausages and bacon very fatty, but I expected that but the beans were stone cold.

We were glad we only stayed 2 nights here but looking around at other hotels and prices you can definitely get better for the price!

Unfortunately the rooms need a general overhaul. I didn't expect the world for £44 a night, but I did expect better.

On the plus side, the guy who seemed as though he is the manager (someone suggested this was Elias in another review) was really helpful. He sorted our taxi out to Krabi which was a reasonable cost and let us know what to do and though we didn't have much time to do day trips, he was very advisable! He was the only plus I'm afraid.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Andrewblac
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

From the moment we checked in at Fundee we were greeted with friendly smiles and five star service which didn't change throughout our entire trip!

The staff on reception were extremely helpful and seemed to really enjoy being there as you would always be greeted with a smile.

We met Elias (who we believe was the hotel manager) and its no wonder the staff were the way they were, as he was always happy to give advice on the good places to go.

He told us that we "HAVE to go to Freedom Beach" which ended up being one of the highlights of our 2 weeks!

It is a short walk to Bangla road, the main strip of markets and Patong beach.
The rooms are exactly as pictured. They were cleaned every day and the two bottles of water which were replenished daily were a definite plus!

The airconditioning unit seemed to be new which was another definite essential for Thailand! The bed was really comfy and big and having free wifi in the room was another plus!

I would definitely be recommending this hotel and Thank you again Elias and staff for the wonderful stay.

P.S Natty we hope you are enjoying the yellow floatie :) :)

Matt & Michelle

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here for 1 night in December 2013. When we arrived our room wasn't ready, but we took the opportunity to explore Patong for a few hours. On our return we were shown to a decent sized room - it was clean and did the job. The bathroom was a bit dated but again it was clean and the shower provided plenty of hot water. The one issue was that the safe in the room was broken and looked like it had been tampered with. When we informed the owner he immediately came to sort it out for us and did his best to remedy the situation, so all in all, no complaints.

This isn't a luxury hotel, but it is a good step-up from some accommodation that can be found in this area of Phuket. It was in a fairly good location; a short walk took you to Bangla Road (a night out there is good fun, but be prepared to have your eyes opened to a thing or two!!!) however it was out of the way so the noise/drunks didn't disrupt us! If you are after a beautiful beach that is away from the crowds and the pingpong shows then I'd definitely recommend you stay elsewhere. If you're happy to see what it's all about and join in the fun for the night then this hotel is perfectly fine.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NatalieC1985
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed at the end of December, I think at around 100usd per night was way overpriced although all hotels in Phuket charge more during that period. Room was small, clean, dark. The restroom was a nightmare, impossible to have a shower without flooding the whole restroom. Very few amenities. I read a few reviews commenting how good the location is. It's not far from Bangla and the shopping mall, but it's full of buildings in construction and very dusty. How can anyone say the location is good because this is going to be a great street once all the construction is finished. For the time being it's not a great location. Not possible to bring the towels to the beach, so we had to go and buy a few. I would not come back and suggest to go but I have to stress that the room is clean and it gets cleaned daily (although the bathroom becomes a mess as soon as you have a shower!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple