“Not worth the high rating”

Sunshine Patong Resort
Ranked #169 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Pomona, Australia
“Not worth the high rating”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel due to its high rating on trip advisor. I am travelling with a make friend and booked a twin share room. Upon booking in we were taken to a double room. I explained we were not a couple and had booked twin room and the managers wife was very rude and made excuses about booking system. My friend was given a Matt from the pool seats to sleep on please see photos. He was also told the hotel had no twin share rooms at all.

The next day the manager gave us a new room which was nice however none of the beds have a top sheet which means you are sleeping with the same bedding as other people. The wife is very rude. The place stinks like poo and they hire poor refugees from Myanmar and they sleep in a store room under the pool on cardboard boxes.

I won't be returning to Phuket at all as it's just a tourist trap but if I did this would be the last place I would stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Sarah Q

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

I chose this hotel based on the positive reviews, but after staying here for 5 nights, I was extremely disappointed. I had pre-paid through booking.com, so if I left, I would have lost out on a lot of money and then had to spend more money for a different hotel, so I decided to make the best of it. I wish I had left the hotel though for the following reasons:
1. This hotel is old and while it may have gotten a recent face lift, it has old fixtures, it isn't modern, and is dirty. When I arrived in the room, it was tidy, but the bathroom shower was dirty with mildew, and sink and toilet were stained with dirt. All needed a good scrub with bleach. I did mention this and requested the staff give it a good clean, but that didn't help. In fact, I had to wear my flip flops in the shower because the tiles were so grimy. I also noticed that the water coming out of sink was a dirty brown color, so I ended up buying a water jug to use for brushing my teeth.
2. Balcony view was looking down on street and the side part was littered with garbage and trash
3. I paid $152 per night in US dollars, which I can assure you, it was not worth the value whatsoever. There are tons of hotels that are newer, more modern and clean in Patong. Definitely shop around. I stayed in Surin Beach right before for $60 per night and had fantastic hotels and services.
4. The rooftop pool was nice, but about every 5 to 15 minutes, I would get a whiff of the sewer, so I am not sure if this is because of the hotel, or its location, as it was situated right near the small river, which was stinky and dirty. It wasn't pleasant.
5. Bed: I like firm bed and their beds were quite firm, but I could feel possible springs in my back? This made it uncomfortable and difficult to get comfortable.
6. Location: it was within walking distance (10-20 minutes) to beach and the main strip/bangla, but it would have been nicer to stay closer to beach and Bangla road.
7. Food: I got a room that included breakfast, but it wasn't the best, as none of the food was covered, so there were flies buzzing around. I did have their yogurt and fruit none-the-less each morning, but went to the coffee shop around the corner for much better coffee.
8. Upon checking in, there were a ton of distractions by the staff with other guests, the phone, looking up things, trying to figure out how to credit my credit card (I updated my booking.com reservation days before the expiration, but the Manger (French guy) said he didn't see it, so he ended up charging me for more days), so it wasn't exactly smooth. The Manager seemed to want to accommodate me, but he couldn't figure out how to credit my card, so he gave me cash back for the mix-up. The hotel has a policy of taking 3000 Baht for a deposit and he agreed to take 1000 Baht from me in cash (so I could have the rest of the cash for when I was in Patong) and put the rest on deposit on my credit card. Come to find out, when I checked out, he claimed he never took the 1000 Baht, so I lost out on cash. Now, I track everything and write down everything I spend daily because it is my job. I believe this hotel is not trustworthy and would encourage everyone reading this review to stay elsewhere if you would like a good experience. Again, I would not recommend Sunshine Patong to other travelers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank brittneycj
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a fantastic hotel with a friendly, helpful staff. I truly believe it's the best value in Phuket because the price is great, the rooms are big, beds comfortable, immaculately clean, and it's perfectly located - right outside all of the crazy party areas so it's quiet and good for a family, but only a short walk to the beach if you're not lazy, or a $3 taxi ride into the popular areas. The owners are really cool people and have spent a lot of time giving me advice and helping me with other travel arrangements. The included breakfasts are huge and the restaurant's food is terrific - best iced coffee in Phuket! Saving the best for last, I was amazed how nice the rooftop pool was! It's very easy to just lounge up there all day on their comfy chairs and listen to music, enjoy the view, cool off in the water, and sip drinks! I'll stay here every time I'm in Phuket!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NormSchriever
Almaty
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Cheap price for this quality of accommodation. Nice room, awesome toilets and almost everything brand new. Staff is very friendly. They will show you what to do around and help you book boats and mini buses, taxis for all the attractions in Phuket and the islands around. The location is good, not too far from Jungceylon and Banzan market but not too close to Bangla Rd, so we get a strategic quite location to spend the night. The hotel is very clean, the beds are always tidied up every day and the bathroom too.
Nice swimming pool on the roof.
Thank you to everybody for the great experience!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan P
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

We’ve enjoied very much our stay in Sunshine Patong Hotel. The swimming pool is very good. The hotel is with new furniture. Location is perfect – 7 minutes from the beach and 10 minutes from the night life, bars and restaurants. In fact, it’s not noisy for sleeping. The staff is very welcoming and smiling. The breakfasts are very tasty made by a French chief.
Phuket it’s amazing place to visit and definitely we will stay our next trip in Sunshine Patong Hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I'm not sure how this hotel got 5 stars out of 5. For the price you pay, it's fair and just OK. This is not a new hotel - just an existing antiquated hotel that is newly painted. You can definitely see the hotel is aging. The location is not too central but within 20 min walking distance to the city center. It seems many tour groups are checking into this hotel. The pool at the rooftop was nice but the hotel charges 30BHT ($1) for each pool towel. I've never seen any hotel charging pool towels. There are many other options in the same price range and we won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jetsetter214
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel in November, and we were absolutely happy with the quality of service, the size of the rooms, the pool. The staff and owners are very friendly and always happy to answer any question. The hotel's location is also good. It was a great experience and we definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends