“Hotel to visit!!!”

Ranked #173 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Hotel to visit!!!”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

After booking this hotel for 2 nights I've decided to stay more 4 nights.
The hotel is 5 min walk to everything: to the beach, big shopping center, restaurants and bars. The room is big and very clean. The owner helped me to buy the excursions with an English guide less expensive then everywhere. I've rented motorbike directly in the hotel without any deposits. The motorbike is new and very comfortable. The owner is a French guy very nice, generous and always ready to give you a good advice.
I've paid 75 $ per night and I can say that’s very good price for such kind of service. The hotels around proposed me to rent 1 night for 15 $ more but there are no restaurants and swimming pool.
I definitely recommend this hotel to everybody wishing to enjoy “Patong” life with the best hotel price.

Room Tip: Deluxe Room is large and very comfortable
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jonny M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Aberdeen
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel was central near the market, shops and about 10-15 minute walk from bangla road. Just far enough for it to be quiet enough to get some sleep too.

Pool was excellent it was situated in the roof top and had the sun all day. They had a pool bar which was reasonable priced and served food all day too.

Only downside we had with this hotel was they moved us to another room after 2 nights for 1 night, it was annoying to pack up again and move also they charged us for things out of the mini bar that we didnt touch, which we didnt even have in the room so best to check you have all the items there when you arrive.

All in all the hotel was nice and it was excellent value for money we would definitely book again if we were staying in the area.

• Stayed January 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is an honest review:
I was travelling with a friend during Christmas holidays. We planned the trip late and everywhere in Phuket was booked or was very expensive. So I picked this place because of relatively good reviews and good price, it was a BIG mistake!
I travel a lot and by far this is the worst place I have ever stayed among all places in different countries I've visited.
I actually won't call this a hotel, this is more like a motel.
There was no hot water, it was incredibly noisy;it is located beside the main street. The WiFi in the rooms didn't work.
The manager wasn't helpful at all. After seeing the room , we tried to check out as soon as we got there, but the manager wasn't available, the next morning he showed up and said that all the rooms were full and when we requested to check out they still charged us for an extra night.
I paid about $100+ through booking.com and I can confidently say the place isn't worth half of that price. We moved to the Sense resort which was a great place, so happy that we did that.
DO NOT stay here!
Phuket is a nice place, don't ruin your trip and don't be fooled by a great price!
Mostly groups of people from Russia come and stay there because of the cheap price.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this place!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank NY_WorldTraveller_10
Pomona, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel due to its high rating on trip advisor. I am travelling with a make friend and booked a twin share room. Upon booking in we were taken to a double room. I explained we were not a couple and had booked twin room and the managers wife was very rude and made excuses about booking system. My friend was given a Matt from the pool seats to sleep on please see photos. He was also told the hotel had no twin share rooms at all.

The next day the manager gave us a new room which was nice however none of the beds have a top sheet which means you are sleeping with the same bedding as other people. The wife is very rude. The place stinks like poo and they hire poor refugees from Myanmar and they sleep in a store room under the pool on cardboard boxes.

I won't be returning to Phuket at all as it's just a tourist trap but if I did this would be the last place I would stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Sarah Q
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I chose this hotel based on the positive reviews, but after staying here for 5 nights, I was extremely disappointed. I had pre-paid through booking.com, so if I left, I would have lost out on a lot of money and then had to spend more money for a different hotel, so I decided to make the best of it. I wish I had left the hotel though for the following reasons:
1. This hotel is old and while it may have gotten a recent face lift, it has old fixtures, it isn't modern, and is dirty. When I arrived in the room, it was tidy, but the bathroom shower was dirty with mildew, and sink and toilet were stained with dirt. All needed a good scrub with bleach. I did mention this and requested the staff give it a good clean, but that didn't help. In fact, I had to wear my flip flops in the shower because the tiles were so grimy. I also noticed that the water coming out of sink was a dirty brown color, so I ended up buying a water jug to use for brushing my teeth.
2. Balcony view was looking down on street and the side part was littered with garbage and trash
3. I paid $152 per night in US dollars, which I can assure you, it was not worth the value whatsoever. There are tons of hotels that are newer, more modern and clean in Patong. Definitely shop around. I stayed in Surin Beach right before for $60 per night and had fantastic hotels and services.
4. The rooftop pool was nice, but about every 5 to 15 minutes, I would get a whiff of the sewer, so I am not sure if this is because of the hotel, or its location, as it was situated right near the small river, which was stinky and dirty. It wasn't pleasant.
5. Bed: I like firm bed and their beds were quite firm, but I could feel possible springs in my back? This made it uncomfortable and difficult to get comfortable.
6. Location: it was within walking distance (10-20 minutes) to beach and the main strip/bangla, but it would have been nicer to stay closer to beach and Bangla road.
7. Food: I got a room that included breakfast, but it wasn't the best, as none of the food was covered, so there were flies buzzing around. I did have their yogurt and fruit none-the-less each morning, but went to the coffee shop around the corner for much better coffee.
8. Upon checking in, there were a ton of distractions by the staff with other guests, the phone, looking up things, trying to figure out how to credit my credit card (I updated my booking.com reservation days before the expiration, but the Manger (French guy) said he didn't see it, so he ended up charging me for more days), so it wasn't exactly smooth. The Manager seemed to want to accommodate me, but he couldn't figure out how to credit my card, so he gave me cash back for the mix-up. The hotel has a policy of taking 3000 Baht for a deposit and he agreed to take 1000 Baht from me in cash (so I could have the rest of the cash for when I was in Patong) and put the rest on deposit on my credit card. Come to find out, when I checked out, he claimed he never took the 1000 Baht, so I lost out on cash. Now, I track everything and write down everything I spend daily because it is my job. I believe this hotel is not trustworthy and would encourage everyone reading this review to stay elsewhere if you would like a good experience. Again, I would not recommend Sunshine Patong to other travelers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank brittneycj
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a fantastic hotel with a friendly, helpful staff. I truly believe it's the best value in Phuket because the price is great, the rooms are big, beds comfortable, immaculately clean, and it's perfectly located - right outside all of the crazy party areas so it's quiet and good for a family, but only a short walk to the beach if you're not lazy, or a $3 taxi ride into the popular areas. The owners are really cool people and have spent a lot of time giving me advice and helping me with other travel arrangements. The included breakfasts are huge and the restaurant's food is terrific - best iced coffee in Phuket! Saving the best for last, I was amazed how nice the rooftop pool was! It's very easy to just lounge up there all day on their comfy chairs and listen to music, enjoy the view, cool off in the water, and sip drinks! I'll stay here every time I'm in Phuket!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NormSchriever
Almaty
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Cheap price for this quality of accommodation. Nice room, awesome toilets and almost everything brand new. Staff is very friendly. They will show you what to do around and help you book boats and mini buses, taxis for all the attractions in Phuket and the islands around. The location is good, not too far from Jungceylon and Banzan market but not too close to Bangla Rd, so we get a strategic quite location to spend the night. The hotel is very clean, the beds are always tidied up every day and the bathroom too.
Nice swimming pool on the roof.
Thank you to everybody for the great experience!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Azure Phuket Hotel
#205 of 322 in Patong
Rattana Beach Hotel
Rattana Beach Hotel
#96 of 134 in Karon

Been to Sunshine Patong Resort? Share your experiences!