“Reasonably priced and good location though needs much better room security interventions.”
Review of Apsara Residence

Apsara Residence
Ranked #107 of 411 Patong B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed at the Apsara Residence for 7 nights in June. Overall our stay was good, it was reasonably priced and the day staff were really friendly. Good location and very clean rooms. We only had one negative that I think needs to be seriously addressed. One of Apsara's policies is that you must leave your key at reception every time you either go out or leave your room. When we were first told about this we were very hesitant leaving our key on the desk at reception but we did so. We were promised that someone would always be there to ensure no one took our key or had any access to our room. On our first night we had gone out for a few drinks and returned to Apsara at about 11pm, not only was the guard fast asleep but our key was on top of a bench in plain sight to the public. The guard didn't wake and we proceeded to grab our key and go to our room.

Along with our key there was 4 other keys. If I was a thief I could have robbed every single room in the space of 20 minutes whilst the guard was fast asleep. If Apsara is going to implement this policy they need to ensure one the guard is awake and not asleep and second of all keys are placed in a safe and out of sight from the public.

Overall I really did like Apsara but something seriously needs to be done about this other wise people are going to get a lot of things stolen.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jack P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I will not stay there again. I booked a superior double room when I arrived at the hotel I found that the "double" room was actually two twin beds pushed together with a full sheet. Two separate mattresses pushed together made for a very uncomfortable sleep. I could not sleep on the middle of the bed due to the divide in the mattresses and the one mattress was old and soft where the other mattress was hard. When I brought this to the attention of the staff they said the hotel was going to be full and could only move me for one night. They also stated I should talk with the "boss" but apparently they did not pass along my complaint to him and I did not see him as I was out every day scuba diving. The room I was given is listed on their list as a twin room. The only electrical outlet was in the middle of the wall where the night table should be but because the beds were pushed together the outlet was behind the pillow. The bathroom is very small and does not have adequate ventilation and has an open window to the outside. The shower is only half the size it should be because of a build out to contain pipes. The hotel does not have an elevator.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Gunter W, Owner at Apsara Residence, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
I thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to receive positive reviews and of course from time to time more negative reviews. Sometimes the guest his comments are totally correct for others it is overwritten. In your case I need to inform you that I moved you to our Superior Twin room, First of all because the room we blocked for you had a problem with the air-conditioning and secondly because of the construction works behind our hotel. We totally accept your comment regarding the 2 beds who are put together and would like to apologize for this. I tried to do for good but learned a lesson that this isn't the most comfortable way for the guest. Regarding our bathrooms I can inform you that these are Thai Standards sized. It is indeed correct that the hotel doesn't have an elevator, this is also never mentioned on any website. We would like to thank you for the 4 stars you gave us for cleanliness. My housekeeping appreciates this a lot. I hope to meet you again in the future and I will personally take responsibility to let you have an excellent stay. Our apologizes for the inconvenience caused.
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Booked this hotel using booking.com. Site stated rate was 50% discounted from USD $98 to USD $43. Agoda showed same rate. I could have booked this hotel by e-mail for USD $36, the claim of 50% discount, which booking.com says comes from the hotel, is completely false. If you want to stay here, phone or e-mail direct to check the rates and compare with online.
This hotel is located in Soi San Sabai, which has quite a few bars and many kebab stands. While this soi is much quieter than Soi Bangla, there is still a bit of action and associated noise. If you are a light sleeper, dont stay here, but if you can sleep through some noise, stay here. Staff are friendly and rooms are clean and not too small. TV was good with many selections but DVD player was not working. This hotel should probably have been about $25 a night. I wouldnt stay here again, because of the price. Better value hotels located around the same area.

Room Tip: Maybe try a room on the top floor? might not be so noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank spikeyspikey
Gunter W, Owner at Apsara Residence, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you for providing us with your comments. Unfortunately I need to disagree with your statement. We offer the same price on every website, even on our own website. Of course different promotions are being uploaded but at the end the price will be exactly the same. Please always double check with our own website. Regarding the DVD player we disconnect them all from the TV's, on a simple request we are happy to assist you with this. I also not had any complain from you regarding this. April is still high season on Phuket Island. For the price of $40 we offer you excellent bed linen, spotless clean rooms, Optic Fiber Internet, lots of free bath amenities and 4 towels daily and a free bath towel service. All of this of course we can't offer for $25 but as you said plenty of other places at Patong, I am just not sure you will get the same service and an European owner available daily for assistance. Anyway I hope that next time I will still be able to serve you even better.
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed for some time at this hotel, it is very clean and for the price I certainly cannot complain,

I have stayed at many hotels in the past and was good to even have a descent television in the room,
Air-conditioning was more than adequate for the room which made sleeping very comfortable,

The staff were very polite and more than friendly,

The hotel is in a fantastic location, with a small convenience store located right outside the front, Bangla boxing stadium a stone throw away, Bangla Road a 2 min walk, Patong beach a short 8-10min walk with the hotel happily providing a clean beach towel for you to use whilst you are there,

The room was cleaned every day with not a single ounce of dust in the room to be seen the cleaners do a great job

I plan to come back again within the next 12 months and will gladly stay here within this hotel again,

If booked directly via their website you receive some additional bonuses for the mini bar or airport transfers,

The owner was very polite and friendly so
thank you for making my stay so pleasant

• Stayed March 2013
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I made a reservation at this place while in Bangkok. Gunter, the owner, were very pleasant and helpful throughout the whole process and were able to get my a room for a number of days despite its being high season. I were told he would like me to pay the whole stay at check in. This is also informed in the reception (conveniently located just beside the door of Family Mart), as a sign say they have been tricked in the past and therefore need full payment in advance. This were not a problem for me as I expected no trouble.

A big sign outside the guesthouse/hotel/residence state it is quality and high class accommodation. I would say it is more of a normal guesthouse with a few extras like some decoration in the room.

First thing I notices when I got into the room were this unpleasant smell of sewerage from the bathrooms. But when i switched on the air-con, it was gone. The air-con however is more noisy than what you will find most other places. The room were fine, bed were fine and bathroom were very simple with cracks and mold start to show.

It did however work find for me and at a good rate I had no issues with this as I travelled alone. The room were more than decent for my use. What did annoy me however were the constant noise from the nearby bars until early morning. I know this must be expected when staying in that area. However it was a question I asked Gunter about as I had some other accommodation on hand, and I were told clearly in the mails I should not expect any noise as it was at the back. That was not true, I believe all rooms here will have a noise issue which you will only like if yourself is out partying until early morning.

On the second last day I had been out with friends until 2 am. As I had been drinking a bit of wine and more one of my friends followed me to the reception to make sure i got safely home, before he himself went home. I got my key in the reception and proceeded to my room. As i locked myself in a ladyboy suddenly pushed himself into the room. I have no idea where this guy came from, if he were in the building or if he got passed the night-guard pretending he were with me. But well into the room I told him to get lost straight away, and i were on my way over to the telephone to call the night-guard before i saw him grabbing something from my table and leaving. I wondered what he had grabbed but were happy he were gone.

This was until it suddenly knocked on the door. Now the night-guard were there with the ladyboy. I asked what was the matter and i was shown my mobile phone. So now I knew what he had taken and I told him to give it back. This as it is locked so it cant be used by anyone else than me. That is probably what he had understood as well. But now the whole thing turned as the nigh-guard suggested I had invited this ladyboy to my room for some hanky panky and had to pay for it. For a minute I was lost for words, but I asked the nigth-guard to get Gunter and then call the Police. This as I knew this were a scam a ladyboy and a guesthouse possibly could pull on a tourist. The night-guard were not interested in that and told me he would not do it and that I just had to pay.

I got tired of the whole thing and told the night-guard I would check out immediately before I handed him what I had in my pocket to get out of this situation which had been going on for a while. This is not how I wanted to spend my holiday and I needed my phone back. As I handed over what I had, the night-guard counted the money carefully and they both left the room.

Now I packed all my belongings in a few minutes, went over the street and secured a new room. This despite I had a day left of the prepaid accommodation at Apsara, and my phone had got damaged. I stayed in 2 different places over the street for the rest of my stay and experienced no trouble what so ever.

It is beyond me why so many give Apsara so high scores here. It is not really that good to begin with and places just over the street is better, newer and at more or less same rate. Also I never experiences what I did at Apsara again, a scam where the nightguard helped the scammer and refused to call either the owner or the police.

I did try to send the owner an email after this incident, but have not received any reply. Not sure if it is because the mail were not received or if the owner just don't want to comment on it.

Positive with the place is the rest of the staff which a delightful. But after what I experiences I can not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Gunter W, Owner at Apsara Residence, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
I would like to give a very short statement regarding your review. I am willing to accept every comment regarding my residence but the information you provide need to be correct. First I would like to mention some of your own words. "I had been drinking a bit of wine and more" - "a ladyboy suddenly pushed himself into the room"
the facts: You hadn't been drinking a bit but you were totally drunk assisted by a very recognizable ladyboy. As for every overnight guest we need the ID card before following you to the room. Also this happened in your case. After both of you started counting the sheep in the room you noticed that is wasn't a beautiful girl but a ladyboy. Again for us very recognizable as a ladyboy. We can understand that this wasn't what you expected but on the other hand you need to know as well, once taken someone to your room money need to be paid. These girls or guys aren't doing this job for free or fun but for having a better future/life. My night guard tried to solve the problem for you without calling to the police. But as you were drunk you didn't want this assistance from us. I would like to mention to all readers that if you can't deal with some of the local rules and regulations you better not visit Thailand. And as an owner I don't need to accept false accusations.
Schwalbach, Germany
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We booked a standard double room and were upgraded to a deluxe double room. So this comment will be about this type of room.
Tne room was very spacious, clean, had aircon and even a balcony. The bed was big and very comfortable for sleeping. The rooms had all free and stable WIFI. The hotel even offered laundry service. The staff was very helpful and helped us in every situation. Gunter, a Belgium, who is the owner of the hotel, gave us important information how to behave in Patong as this was our first time here.
The loction is very good. There are several restaurants in the neighbourhood and even a supermarket next to the hotel.
All in all I would like to recommend this hotel with the best rating taking in consideration the price we paid for it.

Room Tip: Choose the deluxe room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 December 2012

strategic location because it is close to Bangla Road, Jungceylon, Bangla Boxing stadium. rooms are also attractive, clean, nice shower. I stay in the room that has a balcony and can enjoy the scenery along the way there. Bed and pillows are comfort and nice. Mr. Gunter and staffs also kind and good. I would stay there again for songkran festival 2013!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Acca Patong
#4 of 411 in Patong
White Patong
White Patong
#197 of 411 in Patong

Been to Apsara Residence? Share your experiences!