“Excellent Service! Excellent location!”
Review of Apsara Residence

Apsara Residence
Ranked #109 of 406 Patong B&B and Inns
“Excellent Service! Excellent location!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed at Aspara Residence on April 12th, 2014, 2 nts. I did not know what to expect. Well, I was surprised! This young gentleman by the name of "Earth" greeted me and made sure I had all the comfort that I needed. He went out of his way to serve me the best way he could.
The decor, the cleansiness, the humbleness of the staff will be engraved in my memory forever. In the middle of a jungle like Patong-Phuket, I felt like in the safety of my own home.
7 minutes walk from the beach, you pass by a variety of restaurants, bars, shopping area, fastfood streetcars. Very animated area but you always come back to your quiet nest and you are greeted by "Earth" with his innocent humble smile. Thank you.

Room Tip: Very clean room. Higher floors are the best. Decorated with taste. Mattress, Pillows, Towels, all ex...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Gunter W, Owner at Apsara Residence, responded to this review, 16 January 2015
Thank you for your nice review. Me and my team at Apsara Residence how you are doing well and hope to meet you again one day at Phuket island. I am at your service by email.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Quanzhou, China
Reviewed 13 April 2014

5 minutes walking to beach,good lacation. Quite close to shopping centre and night market but the service is not good. The guy from receptaion would hold keys from your hand and do not allow to take out. The guy refused to explain why . The road in front of hotel is dirty. Anyway bad experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights last month. Normally I put more thought into my hotel choices, but I was really busy leading up to my departure and just did a cursory search for a budget hotel in Phuket. Having never been to Phuket before, I figured I couldn't go wrong being based in Patong since its the main area. Chose this hotel based on reading they had good wifi, great bedding, budget pricing, and good location.

First for the pros:

1) The wifi connection here was pretty decent. I had a few connectivity issues, the most glaring being the net would not work on my balcony. It would have been nice to use my computer out on the balcony, but in the room the connection was overall above average but I did have to deal with quite a few short disconnects. The speed while connected was very fast for Thailand.

2) The bedding was great. The sheets were very high quality and clean, and the mattress was very comfortable. 5 stars for the bed!

3) The room itself was very clean, although the bathroom was not. But at least the main room was clean and comfy.

Average:

1) Location. The location is in Patong and walking distance to pretty much everything. Although it is a solid 10 minute walk to get to the beach, at least there is lots of stuff to see as you pass by, and it felt very safe walking around day and night.

Cons:

1) The bathroom. The bathroom itself is a big wet room which is not uncommon in Thailand. I never much care for these, as they are hot, the mozzies come in, and they sometimes can get very damp/musty/mildewy if not cleaned properly. In my first room the bathroom smelled so awful. The mold smell was too much, probably the worst smelling hotel bathroom I'd ever encountered. I requested the bathroom to be cleaned as there was lots of mold buildup. When I got back later that day, the hotel had arranged for me to move rooms as they couldn't get rid of the smell. The bathroom in the second room was much better(no smell), but I still can't say I liked the bathroom even in the second room.

2) Security. I did not like that I was required to leave my key with the front desk whenever I'd go out of the hotel. When I would come back, the night time guy would have all the keys laid out and I am pretty sure I could have grabbed any key I wanted, although obviously always took my own. One night I came back and he was sound asleep. I tried to wake him up but he didn't budge, so I just grabbed the key myself and went to bed. I never had an incident, but felt like this system left my room vulnerable. I would have preferred to take the key out with me.

3) Charged for use of toiletry items at checkout. At checkout I was charged for usage of the items in the room(toothbrush and shaving kit). These are just laid out in the room with no signage indicating they are not for free. Literally every hotel I've ever stayed at in my life provides these items for free when they are in the room. Felt nickel and dimed on the way out the door to be charged for them, especially since the shaving kit was the cheapest/worst razor I've ever used! It wasn't a big charge, and I just paid rather than disputing the charge. Guess its my own fault for not confirming they are free, but who does that? Still though, if you are going to charge for these things, make it clear.

4) No lift, you have to carry your bags up a few flights of stairs, so pack light because nobody offered to help!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank miamicane77
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 February 2014

One of the worst experiences of my vacation in Thailand happened when I decided to stay at this dump that calls itself a 'Residence'. After driving around for a bit because the entrance is very hidden, the driver dropped me off at the Apsara. The surroundings did not bode well. A street litterede with filth and drunken or otherwise intoxicated prostitutes of the lowest variety formed the decor of my night in Hell.The doorman was of the most rude and unhelpfull sort and didn't bother to help me to my room. So when I got to the room, after climbing the stairs with my luggage due to the absence of an elevator, I was disheartened to find the AC did not work. This was of no concenr to the doorman ofcourse who from that point on decided to ignore me completely. Stuck in this horribly hot room there was no hope of sleep either as the bar next to the Hotel blasted loud music all through the night. It was still blasting music when I left the Apsara at 7.30 the next morning, after being fiurther insulted by the horrible doorman.
The owner, whom I managed to contact through no help of the doorman, was very sympathetic and seemingly helpfull when I voiced my complaints. However the next night the AC still did not work. In reading some other reviews I found that the owner is a master at finding excuses and all the horrible experiences seem to be the guest's fault, never the hotel. I'm sure he'll respond in a similar way to this post. But honestly, this hotel is a place one should avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Gunter W, Manager at Apsara Residence, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Patong Beach and Soi San Sabai wasn't your piece of cake and from that time on nothing could be good for you anymore so just throw everything to the hotel. Patong is THE night venue of Phuket Island and Soi San Sabai the second busiest street located on 2 min from Soi Bangla. Why in goodness sake did you choose for this location. If you don't like drunken people and bars don't stay here. After you showed the best of yourself, impoliteness against my staff I totally understand his behavior and I, the owner, would have done totally the same. Respect the locals and treat them with respect. Did you saw anywhere on the net that Apsara provides an elevator? So another thing that made you touchy! I am not someone who try to find excuses and I really will do everything I can to let my guests have a wonderful stay. Regarding your AC, I double checked the temperature by myself the next day and the room had a temperature of 22 degrees C. I am sorry if it didn't reach the 16 degrees C but hot as hell??? I think in hell it's slightly hotter as 22 degrees C. I am sorry Apsara wasn't the best choice for you, luckily we still have plenty of other guests who can appreciate my hotel and the service I offer them. Enjoy traveling and don't forget keep on smiling! G.
California
Reviewed 23 January 2014

it is mixed, I stayed there twice,

First night experience is horrible, many people are saying the owners are nice, true, but only at day time, if you come in late at night, it is an old guy there with foot on the table, and he could be your worst nightmare, and if he give you room 103 (with a punch hole on the door). baby, you are the lucky one with the punish room. and to the owner, if that guy is your dad, fix him, otherwise, get him fired

there's no elevator, so give yourself a little work out there
internet is fast, but only if you needs it

do not try to sleep at night due to its location, the music will be on the whole night, so grab a pair of ear plug if you stay there

Do not hope the airport transfer from them, get a taxi, at least it was not there for us

use the cup to cover the water drain hole, otherwise you will be choked with the horrible smells

Room Tip: if you have to stay here, get higher floor for: 1: good workout by going up floors, 2: better rooms...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Gunter W, Owner at Apsara Residence, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear valued guest, thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding my hotel/residence and posting some pictures. Let me start with the positive note! I am glad you mention that the upstairs rooms are nicer, these are indeed our deluxe rooms, bathrooms remain small but are comparable sized with other 2/3* hotels at Patong Beach. For the readers let me also mention that the pictures you have posted are from our Deluxe Rooms. Except the door of room 103. This door was indeed damaged by one of my guests after a heavy night out and a conflict with his parter. A new door was immediately ordered and will be delivered within the next few days. I have no idea what happened about your airport transfer but if something went wrong I really would like to apologize myself for this. I will double check with my staff. The old man during the night time can indeed sometimes bring some irritation as his English language skill is very limited. I would love to inform everybody, if you discover any problem during the night time, ask him to contact me, I am happy to assist you all day and night. And I try to find the right medication to get him fixed, but unfortunately until now I didn't find the right pills. I took notice from all your remarks and will also ask my technician and housekeeping staff to investigate all rooms regarding the smell. Even I guess it was an isolated case because I haven't got any other remarks regarding this. Best Regards, Gunter
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent! This is the right word to describe during my stay. The staffs were very friendly and most importantly, the owner was very informative and kind. I would rate it to 10/10 and definitely it was a perfect place to stay while you are in Phuket. It really surpassed my expectations. Amazing!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Great clean hotel with friendly service. Close enough to bangla for the walk home but yet far enough to be quiet when all the noise continues on. The bed was great and the bathroom nice and big with excellent water pressure. A great hotel to stay at.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends