“Nice design, but not at all clean”

Sai Rougn Residence
Ranked #104 of 322 Hotels in Patong
“Nice design, but not at all clean”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel is in a quiet area so it is ok if you look for relaxation. The pool is not too big and garden is very nice. They have parking in front of the hotel. The hotel is on a hill so you may need a mean of transportation to get to the beach, although they offer shuttel to town.
The rooms are large enough and the design is nice. The sheets on the bed were dirty when we arrived, but were changed after I reclaimed. Then the "clean" towels had stains and had to ask to change them every day. Beach towels available on request.
Also the locks for the windows were broken, so anyone could easily get into de room. They have safety box so better to keep important things there.
The bathroom is really small and the shower is almost directly over the toillet. The shower curtain looked awfull.
Breakfast is basic, but good.
The hotel is mainly occupied by french people, mostly families.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Thai first
Wurzburg, Germany
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here some years ago and the stays could not be more different! Still clean rooms and faculties and the prices are bit more expensive but the service dropped to a non existing level! 100% unfriendly and inattentive staff. You should be able to expect more from a hotel than just clean rooms. Never have recognised this in Thailand before. Will not stay here again!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniel H
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 8 October 2013

we stayed there for three nights,value for money,dnt expect great service or friendly staff anyways but spacious rooms and huge balcony and a big kitchen and a clean swimming pool.....about 3km from the patong beach,the hotel is situated on a height so a small little incline one has to walk or be prepared to pay 100baht extra to tuktuk.....about 25minutes walk to bangla rd/patong beach.the resort is beautiful.

Room Tip: request for a ground floor or you would end up climbing two floors everytime...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dubai
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment for 4 nights. There was noone to help us with our luggage when we checked in. The entire hotel was being renovated and painted so the whole place smelt of paint, including our apartment. Throughout our stay we could see construction workers working around the hotel and equipments including ladder, paint, etc everywhere, including the yards and swimming pool area.

We even woke up in the morning and found two guys painting in our balcony, with their bucket of paint and all their equipments!!! It seems that they did not care that we were staying there. They did not have the courtesy to wait a couple of days until we check out before painting our balcony.

Our son is 2 years old and during our stay he started coughing a lot, possibly because of the strong paint smell all over the hotel (we suspect our apartment has just been painted too). We had to take him to a clinic in Patong as he couldn't sleep at nights as he coughed continuously and had breathing difficulties!

Other than that, service was ok, except for breakfast staff which are VERY unfriendly. In Thailand people smile all the time and they are very friendly and polite, but the staff there actually frowned all the time and looked angry. We asked for normal spoons for cereals as the breakfast bar only had tea spoons and the lady told us to use the tea spoons. When we explained that we want the spoons for the cereals, she asked, "what, you want big spoons?", with an attitude. Then she brought one very big spoon for us. The food and breakfast selection itself is fine but the staff makes breakfast an awful experience. We felt like we had to be quiet and careful with our requests otherwise the frowny lady might beat us up!

The apartment is spacious but the living room only has one sofa bed and not even a coffee table. When we asked for a table, the manager said they usually do not give tables but they will give us one - but they did not. We ended up bringing in plastic chairs from the balcony to use indoors.

Hotel location is up a VERY steep hill and it is very quiet and dark at night. There are some wild cows on the way up which makes it quite scary. We had a car so we were ok but if you have to walk up and down, it might be inconvenient.

The pool was nice, shame when we were swimming we could see construction workers everywhere.

Overall, without the construction works, the place is maybe just ok or average at best.
We regret staying there when they were doing all the construction and painting, especially with our son coughing and having trouble breathing, which ruined the holiday. We understand that renovation works are required but at least have the courtesy to work away from us. It was very surprising (if not very unpleasant) to find some guys covered in paint working on our balcony when we woke up in the morning! This shows their lack of courtesy and respect to their guests!

We will not stay there again and certainly do not recommend this hotel. There are certainly much much better places with better value and better service in Patong or neighbouring Karon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed 14 days in Sai rougn Residence.
Friendly staff
Nice pool
Clean big family room with 2 bedroom.
Breakfast is boring with scramble egg every day, butter and toast.

Dinner was not woow, but ok. And cheap prices. Steak was bad! No seasoning, not salt/pepper (order peppersteak).... Tastet the fluid you use to start the grill with. Sorry for bad english:)

Cheap motorbike rental.

Free shuttelbus but not always, sometimes the driver is gone for several hours.
The restaurant is not open for lunch, and not every day for dinner. So if you do not want to go to patong centrum for dinner, you can order junkfood from the reception. They can call Mc Donalds, KFC (kentucky fried chicken) or pizza company.

But for the price it cost to stay here, maybe we will return, because of the quietness surroundings and the good girls in reseption

Thank you!

Best regards

Christin With family

Room Tip: If you travel with children who want own room, i recommend 2 bedrooms apartment (firstfloor) Then y...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. The cost was a good value for a clean room but the staff was very very unhelpful. Now I understand that not everyone should speak English but the english spoken here was very poor and they were unable to understand us when we were seeking help with a few things.
First night we ate dinner at the restaurant shortly after we arrived. After we placed the order they came back with the menu and pointed to two things ( a starter and an entree/main) and said 'no have, no more' I said okay and picked another entree/main and said we wouldn't have any other starter. When the food arrived, they gave me BOTH entrees ( a lamb dish and cassoulet). I have no idea what happened or what they were trying to communicate to me previously but at that point I figured if the communication was going this poorly I wasn't going to even bother trying to figure out the situation and I just ate some of both and paid for it. I live in India (I'm an American) and I'm used to things like this happening ALL the time so I usually just roll with it, its not worth getting upset about these types of things and it wasn't that huge of a cost. We had planned to take a local ferry out of Phuket to Railay Beach in Krabi for the day. I thought maybe the hotel could give me some info on how to get to the ferry, how to book a ticket etc . I had found a website but I thought it might be easier to do it this way. Forget it. THey just kept handing me brochures for the boat tours to James Bond Island etc. They had no idea what I was asking about . When I asked if there was someone else who spoke English the woman replied "no, but I speak English" Not very well though...moving on, I booked the tickets online. I needed to print my email for my tickets. I asked if I could forward the email to them and if they could print it. No was the answer. Okay, I hoped a ride in their taxi to an internet cafe and did it for 25 baht. We also were heading out early each of the 3 days we were there (ferry and two boat tours). I asked about breakfast and was told that it was at 7:30am. We were leaving at 7 each day. I asked if there was any thing we could take for breakfast in the morning. They said no, kitchens not open until 7:30 and no one can cook etc. I said that's fine, we don't want eggs or anything can we just have a banana or a roll or yogurt. No was the answer. No one will be there until 7:30 (which wasn't true because every morning at 7am someone was setting up breakfast). I said what about just putting it aside for us tonite in a bag and we can grab it in the morning. No they said. Oh well, we paid for the breakfast with the rate but I can't comment on how it was since we never ate anything. The first night the A/C in our room reeked of cigarette smoke. They very nicely changed us the next day. No help with bags or anything but they let us have a new room. My husband lugged all the bags from the 2nd to the 4th floor on his own. The rooms are very basic (like a 60s era motel) and only had 3 bath towels (there were 4 of us). No washcloths, no hand towels nothing. The two showers had no curtains and were open to the entire bathroom so after a shower there is water everywhere! No A/C in the main living room. It was very hot while we were there (at least 95/33 and humid) so we didn't really sit in there. We were very busy with our boat tours so it didn't really matter. The taxi service was decent but again, no one spoke very much English and the last day they couldn't understand where we were so we grabbed a paid taxi home. On check out it took forever and they didn't want to take my credit card. Since we were rushing to take a hired car to our next boat ride (they also insisted that we pay them at 7am even though we were storing our bags and coming back at 5) I just gave them the cash (all I had). When we got back at 5 I though we could grab some dinner before we headed to our next hotel (the amazing and highly recommended JW Marriott in Khao Lak). They have a menu that says 'Snacks 12 noon until 6pm" that has hamburgers, hotdogs, sandwiches etc. When I asked if we could order something they said...wait for it... No. Kitchens not open. The location is up a very high hill which was only a problem because it was so so hot. Overall I would only recommend this place if you really can't find anything else to fit 4 people in a room (our reason) and the price is right. Otherwise, I'm sure you can find something better. The pool was nice though and the kids enjoyed it at the end of the day after our boat rides.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TrishandIan
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This was a great little hotel in most aspects. We stayed at this hotel for five nights. The service was awesome, very friendly and extremely helpful staff. The drop off and pick up shuttle was great, breakfast wasn't bad, no verity but still yummy. The pool was nice with lots of sun. And the rooms were well cleaned. And the beds were nice.

On the downside. The Decor if the rooms is pretty old school, really 60's. and they don't look much like the pictures and there was no tv in bedroom in the bungalow suit (only in the lounge area) the hotel was full of Russians that can be kinda rude. And last the location is a little hard to find, as well as its a bit far from things. But if you like the quiet it's fantastic.

Over all the hotel was good for its value.

• Stayed March 2013