“Great Hotel, Lovely Staff & Close to the action”

Patong Hemingway's Hotel
Ranked #162 of 329 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Patong Hemingway's Hotel is a wonderful hotel with a genuine Boutique feel to it.
I spent a week there at the start of the peak season and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.
The staff were always welcoming and friendly being fluent in english helping me out when I had issues with reservations for day trips.
The quality of food and the selection of alcohol at the restaurant was impressive and the rooftop pool was always a great place to relax.
The rooms were simple and tidy with all the amenities you would expect my only complaint was that I found the mattress to be a bit too hard.
The location really is great with Jungceylon and Bangla road a two minute walk away, your right in the heart of the action. But the hotels off the main road location means noise is not an issue at all.
I plan on returning on my next trip to Phuket and highly recommend the hotel for anyone visiting Patong.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Patong Hemingway's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Darryl K.
Thank you for your lovely review, I will inform our front staff of your kind comments about being helpful with your day trips. We are also happy to oblige when our Guests have problems. Sorry you found the mattress too firm, As I have mentioned in other reviews before just speak to the front office staff or the housekeeping and they will only be too happy to put padding on the mattress for you. Thank you for your recommendation and we hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I don't anything to compare this hotel to in Patong, because it was my first time in this part part of the world. I liked it. All of the staff was friendly towards me. After I settled in, I liked the room. My room in the back on the seventh floor was quiet. I have seen showers without the barrier before. I have no problem with that in a lower price hotel. Everything was clean. It just took some common sense that I forget sometimes like taking shoes off at the door and using the bathmat. The breakfast was great. There is some smell in Patong occasionally in general. To me, it obviously comes from the sewage system in the town. The hotel is very convenient to the mall and Bangla Bar area. The walk does seem far coming back with a date but someone could figure that out with practice. The mall is nice. As a person who had never been to Thailand, there are things I did not know like what a good price was for seafood. The hotel was friendly clean not expensive safe haven for me to explore from. I will stay here again if I return. Thanks for the help when I needed it.

Dear David L
Thank you for your kind review, We all are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and your first stay in Thailand. Our staff will be happy when I read your review to them as they do try hard to please our guests. As you pointed out our hotels is very close to everything in Patong Beach but it located in a nice quiet area. The rooms at the rear of our hotel are appreciated by many guests as its a little quieter than the front, the fact that there is no view can be a plus point as it does not get the sun so much and you can sleep late. The international shopping mall which is very close to the hotel is one of the largest in Southern Thailand and virtually everything you need can be purchased there. We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I had good stay in this hotel.very friendly staff. good service. I requested extra bedding for good sleep due to hard mattress.I wish rooms were bigger because had not enough space for my luggage bag. I would suggest hotel to find more covenient place for toilet paper holder. Also i suggest make water barrier below the shower curtain so the water not run out of the shower space.
I liked the small and clean roof top pool and sitting area.
I would stay here again in future if i visit Patong.

Room Tip: i recommend to book city tours and airport transfer to airport. Very friendly driver and comfortable...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Patong Hemingway's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear 620Uriel,
Thank you so much for your review, It is so useful for us to receive comments on how we can improve our hotel so many reviewer do not let us know the things they did not like.so we can make changes. With regard to the firm mattress unfortunately many of our guests prefer a firm mattress rather and being too soft. However prospective guests reading this review should note that if you find the mattress too firm they hotel would be happy to provide additional softer bedding. The hotel is considering installing just as you suggest a barrier below the shower curtains. Part of our problem is also the very strong water pressure from the shower which is always a plus point with many guests, I am sure we will come up with some compromise to solve this problem. Thank you once again for such a useful review.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Patong Hemingway's is a great little hotel, having just checked out I can say this is a very clean well managed Hotel. Reception staff always greet you with a smile, room attendants very friendly and the rooftop pool area ( not many people use it ) is a nice place to relax, gets sun from 07.30 in the morning with a cool breeze, the fellow at the pool bar was very polite. All in all this is a little gem hidden in Soi Sansabi that needs to be looked at if your staying in Patong. Well priced and close to Soi Bangla.

Room Tip: Roof top pool area
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Patong Hemingway's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Mark C,
Thank you for your lovely review. We like to think that our Patong Hemingway's Hotel is a home from home, The owners and the management encourage our staff to be friendly and polite with our guests. The hotel's location is certianly a plus point very close to the night life in Soi Bangla yet queit peaceful. As always the roof top and pool bar is a great little hang out place. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review. Its good to know that regular contributor like yourself enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

In the reservation process i were in contact with the hotel and recieved quick and helpful replies. So i made the reservation at their website and looked forward to arrive at the hotel.

When I did arrive they could not find my reservation. The reason was that there is two hotels with almost the same name. One is named "Hemingways Hotel" and the other is named "Patong Hemingways Hotel", and its easy to confuse them ith such similar names as they are both located in Patong.

I were determined to stay in Soi Sansabai and both the receptionist and the assistant manager (i believe thats his title), could probably notic my disappointment when i found out i had made the reservation at the other place due to the confusing names. They therefor straight away told me i could cancel the stay with no penalty if i wanted, and at the same time they began to look for possible available rooms where i wanted to stay. It was tricky due to that tjey were neatly full. After some time they found a possibilty in the back. I were so glad for this, but they kept looking until they were able to find me a room overlooking the street!

Not often do i experience this kind of customer service and helpfulness with small hotels when they run full anyway. And throughout my stay for 5 night i experienced the same, with nice smiles thrown in.

The rooms are spacious and have all you would need for as stay in Patong. The small pool on the roof (not for swimming, more for hanging out in) is rally nice and its a great place to lay down and get some tan if not going to the beach.

I tried the restaurant for lunch, and it was good enough but as i enjoy food with more of a street food feeling to it i did only eat there once. What i did like with the meal i had was that it was very spicy (thai spicy you coulds say), for tourists who do not enjoy really spicy food it could be a good idea to tell them when ordering you would like it not so spicy.

The receptionist who work most daytime shifts (nickname: Bloom?) is excellent and ar helful above and byond what you expect. So is the assistant manager who i did not get the name of. The receptionist at nighttime i did not meet so often, but the one time i needed some help she was very helpful. The cleaners of the rooms did a spot on job.

When i back in Patong, this is definitely whwre i will stay. Just got to remember to make the booking at their correct hotel next time :-).

Room Tip: There are rooms at the back facing a building, perfect for those who like it quiet and dark enough t...

Dear Kjetil_Nordbo,
Thank you such an excellent review from a regular contributor to Tripadvisor is an extreme compliment. I am so glad our assistant manager managed to find you a room at Patong Hemingway's. For future guests reading this review please note we have two hotels with the name Hemingway's. so its easy to get confused when making a reservation if you intend to stay here the name is Patong Hemingway's Hotel located just off Soi Sansabai. We are sp pleased lthat you found our reception staff helpful. The Sun deck with bar and dipping pool as I call it is a favourite place of many of guest who like to unwind and get a Tan. Thank you for your review. As all reviews it will be posted for our staff to read.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Nice little hotel, quiet but just moments away from all the action along Bangla Road.

The roof top bar by the pool has a great happy hour deal - 99 baht for all cocktails from 4-8pm. Great if you just wanna hang out with friends in a quiet place.

The corridor smelled a bit, but rooms were made and towels replaced daily. The receptionist wasn't the most approachable, but the other staff made up for it. The breakfast spread was sumptuous. I enjoyed their Thai dishes more than their western ones though.

Airport transfer is 800 baht each way for 1-2 persons. Their driver showed up promptly and got us safely to our destination.

All in all, a good place to stay in if you're on a budget. Their location more than made up for their shortcomings.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Patong Hemingway's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Jean H,
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many of our Guests mention that the location of the hotel is excellent being near to everything important and yet in a quiet location. Sorry to hear that you found our receptionist wasn't the most approachable. We are continual motivating our staff using the reports on TripAdvisor and the other reviews. I am sure yours will be brought up at our next briefing. As we do encourage our staff to be friendly and helpful. Again thank you for taking the time to write your review. And we hope to see you stay with us again.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

It was a great experience and the only thing i can complain about, was the fact that the hotel forgot to pick me up in the airport as agreed and confirmed by mail.

BUT.. I really liked the hotel.

Great Pool on the roof
Pool bar with happy hour
Good room
Shower with good pressure on the Water
Good and fast internet
Good breakfast in the restaurant
Helpfull reception

I will come back

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view, otherwise you will face another Building 1 meter from yours. In my case...

Dear Roca_dk,
Thank you for your very kind review, I do apologize for our lapse in not meeting you at the airport, I wonder if you could kindly contact me directly through the hotel email and then I can investigate the cause of our failure. I am so glad that you really enjoyed your stay with us. I think the tip that you gave regarding the room with a view is a sensible suggestion. We do have many returning guests who prefer to be put in room not facing the street as its away from the sun glare and a little quieter as they like to sleep late,